1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 TRD needing MPG

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Justin0131, Jul 28, 2015.

1. Jul 29, 2015 at 9:13 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I spent too much time already filling out paper work, let alone waiting around for gas. I wanted to get the hell out of there. Heck, I would have paid them more money to speed up the whole process. My time is valuable. More valuable than dino juice. What was cool is that the Nissan salesman really wanted to buy my truck. before it was on the lot.

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  2. Jul 29, 2015 at 9:52 PM
    chitown_tundra

chitown_tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black CrewMax SR5 4.6
    I am using the distance to empty reading just to keep an eye out on mpg etc. . I've filled up the truck 2x since purchasing it 2 weeks ago. Both times I've filled around 1/4 tank left. It was a full tank day of purchase and after 2nd fill up. The gauge read 403 miles to empty. After the 3rd fill up, the gauge read 389 with 1/4 tank left. I'm thinking that since its a new truck, the computer is "learning" seems odd that this happened. Any opinions or thoughts?

3. Jul 29, 2015 at 10:00 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Best way is to go old school. I don't trust the dash indicator for any kind of accuracy. I only say this is because I deal with high precision instruments everyday. Calculate by hand for best results. IMO

buckwild and chitown_tundra like this.
  4. Jul 30, 2015 at 4:55 AM
    Justin0131

Justin0131 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Decatur, Al
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 TRD Limited 5.7L 4x4 "Black Betty"
    3" lift, 33's, leveling kit, camper shell, 18" rims
    Well it looks like im going with an new intake and bullydog unit to start off with. Thanks to the 3 or so people that actually addressed the question and didnt try and talk smack. Ill post my results for some of you guys that haven't even really done anything to your trucks yet.

5. Aug 31, 2015 at 7:36 PM
    DesertToy

DesertToy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2010 Limited Tundra Crew Max
    Leveled, Peragon bed cover. Yep that's it!
    I travel to Utah from Idaho and although the speed limit is 80mph I usually will set the cruise on 75mph and I will average 19-20mpg on the interstate. Around town I have averaged around 13-14. I tried to see what was the best I could get around town and it was 15.5-16. I set my cruise control on anytime it was a road with distance between stops and let it cruise to my next stop. Having done this I will be honest with you, this is not why I bought my tundra. I couldn't stand how boring it was. These are fun trucks to drive! Sure do all the mods you want but please don't waste your time and sleep worrying about fuel economy. I do have a drop in k&n, Peragon bed cover, and that's it.

6. Aug 31, 2015 at 7:52 PM
    Justin0131

Justin0131 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Decatur, Al
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra SR5 TRD Limited 5.7L 4x4 "Black Betty"
    3" lift, 33's, leveling kit, camper shell, 18" rims
    So again this is my 2ND Tundra (1st 2011 Black TRD LIMITED). And I have a lot done to this. I dont care about the gas mileage. But for most people that have played with these also know when you free up horsepower you can get MPG also. If I cared about the MPG to bad I wouldnt have built a tank. I have some goodies on order that do both. I have a tuner, intake , and exhaust coming. Plus I have started saving for the TRD supercharger (the wife doesn't know about this.) So I will post relative information about what parts do what.

T-Rex266 likes this.
  7. Aug 31, 2015 at 9:24 PM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    If I were to put together a list of things to do to decrease mileage, I'd buy a big honking truck with a powerful motor. I would lift it, put aggressive MT tires and for extra measure add a camper shell to increase the weight.

Not trying to be flip, but I think you should decide what you want. Contrary to the old saying, you really can't have it all.

8. Aug 31, 2015 at 9:35 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    image.jpg

9. Sep 1, 2015 at 5:25 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    The easiest/best thread here would be " How can I decrease MPG, spend a lot of scratch, keep the wifey from getting too pwissed off, and have fun at the same ?"

10. Sep 14, 2015 at 1:46 PM
    torres576

torres576 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crew max
    Tundras have the worst gas mileage. My friend has a Silverado and he averages 16-17 on street and over 20 on highway.

My other friend has an ecoboost and is about 18 avg. but even being 5-6 mpgs under makes a big difference with 27 gallons. That's about 160 miles per tank.

11. Sep 14, 2015 at 1:49 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    I'll take reliability over gas mileage though.

pipeliner and Justin0131[OP] like this.
  12. Sep 14, 2015 at 1:52 PM
    torres576

torres576 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 tundra crew max
    Same reason I got one. You don't see many out there but as a kid I always wanted a tundra. Hopefully Toyota rolls out this diesel. It'll be powerful and very efficient.

I don't think these trucks can get good mpgs. If they could Toyota would have tried. These motors were just made to last and perform. No where near related to a Prius lol

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Sep 14, 2015 at 2:04 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    true story.
    On a side note, I'm in a rental (Camry) while out of state and love the 30+ mpg though lol.

14. Sep 14, 2015 at 7:02 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TUNDRA 5.7L= MPG LOL (Camry?) Where in the hell does Toyota come up with the names of their cars? When I was in Japan from 1980 to 84, I drove a "Familia" four door sedan, not 4X4, four door, a "Tercet" here (don't tell anybody) S**t too late. What the frack is a "Tercet"? Anybody want to take a guess what a Mitsubishi "Gloria" is called here in the US? All the "Z" series, as in 240Z and up, were named "Fair Lady's" in Japan. Feel better now?? Better than Fairy Lady's. :devil:

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  15. Sep 29, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    gene3x

gene3x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra 1794
    Sway bar, BA Muffler, Hypertech Int, sumo springs,
    Does anyone know if it causes issues to put the truck in neutral and coast as far as possible before putting it back in gear when power is needed?

Potential issues?
    I did this with my dad's truck in high school to squeeze more miles because I was broke but never knew anything about the service on that truck because I was not the one bringing it in or paying. :)

16. Sep 29, 2015 at 9:00 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I did that a lot with all my manual tranny's over the years. I don't recommend doing that with an automatic tranny.

17. Sep 29, 2015 at 9:08 PM
    gene3x

gene3x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra 1794
    What are the potential issues as long as it is spinning the same speed with no torque on the gears you should be fine..... right?

18. Sep 29, 2015 at 9:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Quote off Car Talk.com:

"It could well be harmful to your brakes, and in case of a steep mountain downhill, very harmful you HEALTH.

Cars are made to stay in gear when you slow down or go downhill. The engine braking prolongs the life of your brakes and prevents them from overheating and possibly fading, causing a potentially fatal accident. On a very steep hill, the owner's manual normally tells you to put the car in a lower gear, or at least take it out of overdrive.

I don't know why you are asking the question, but, NO, it will not save you any gas by taking the car out of gear. The computer on a modern car normally either cuts off the fuel supply or greatly diminishes it on a downhill run. If you take the car out of gear it may actually USE MORE GAS!!!"

19. Sep 29, 2015 at 9:20 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    @gene3x , That was a quote, not my opinion. It does make sense. I slow down and my truck's ECU cuts the gas too.. Leave it in gear. You are not gaining anything and probably not the safest thing to do.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  20. Sep 29, 2015 at 9:39 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    I know exactly where your heads at. The Tundra seems to engine brake a bit more than other vehicles I have driven. Which means foot off the gas the truck slows so you end up having to keep your foot on the gas slightly on slight downhill areas. If you take it out of gear you can coast and not engine brake at all. I have done it, not that often but I have.
    I can't see how it would cause harm but I do not know the answer.

gene3x[QUOTED] likes this.
  21. Sep 29, 2015 at 9:55 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Answer: Eat more Kraft mac & cheese and you have more money for gas.:thumbsup:

Justin0131[OP] likes this.
  22. Sep 30, 2015 at 8:27 AM
    gene3x

gene3x New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gene
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra 1794
    That is what I was getting at.
    And Matt there are not a bunch of hills here near Dallas so as long as common sense is used I don't see a problem. I was just curious about the possible issues caused by doing any damage to the truck.

Black Wolf likes this.
  23. Sep 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    I agree too. Can't see how any thing could get damaged either.

gene3x[QUOTED] likes this.
  24. Jan 25, 2016 at 10:47 PM
    findlayjeff

findlayjeff New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Hey Justin did you ever get your intake, exhaust, and programmer installed? Results?

25. Jan 26, 2016 at 5:44 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    I live up in the mountains. I have a 20 mile downhill run when I go into town. For the past 18 years, I've always put my truck in neutral. Sold my 2007 with 165,000 on it and it was never in the shop for anything other then oil, brakes and tires. If you watch your mpg monitor, when coasting, it maxes out at 60 mpg. If I keep it in gear, it reads about 16-18 mpg. So it does make a huge difference if you can keep it out of gear. It has NO negative affect on anything.
    And for some reason, I get about 16-16.5 mpg in the city and if I keep it below 65 on the Hwy, I get around 20 mpg. I do have a 3" lift on my 2016 but with 275 65 18 Duratracs. I do get about 1 mpg less with this setup then my stock 07.

26. Mar 22, 2016 at 6:40 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6zzEtxJkC7Y

Products Discussed in