1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2014 Platinum Crew Max

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Patriot, Oct 9, 2014.

1. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:11 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Hello from Western North Carolina, picked up my new CM on 1 Sept and just turned over 1000 miles yesterday. I have Honda FIT I use for my 100 mile round trip commute. The first week I had XPEL paint protection added to the entire hood, bumpers, grill, fenders, headlights, fog lights, and w/s pillars. XPEL is pretty amazing material and super strong it really keeps the paint looking new. I ordered the OEM painted fender flares from a Toyota parts in SC, they shipped them to me quickly. Hope to install them this weekend. Just thought I would post a pic and say hello. I have owned Toyota trucks since 1989 and still learning as much as I can. I am a veteran hence a flag in my yard. The Blue Ridge Parkway is my backyard…love the mountains

Image.jpg Image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    crazynelsons likes this.
  2. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:17 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
    Welcome to the site!

Patriot[OP] likes this.
  3. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:24 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Thank you sir, it is really a well done site! I feel like I have crawled out from under a wet rock and discovered fire! lol! Glad to be here!

Bob and Relentless like this.
  4. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:40 PM
    Relentless

Relentless Eric @Relentless Fab Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    East of the Sierras(Reno), Nevada
    Vehicle:
    '14 Crewmax TRD 4x4> '15 Duramax SLT
    Just a few, more to come
    Welcome!
    Bob's forums are the best out there IMO as well! :)

Patriot[OP] and Bob like this.
  5. Oct 9, 2014 at 5:50 PM
    ShawnL

ShawnL Veteran from NH

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC limited
    Factory fender flares, 3" front 2" rear Readylift kit. 22x9 +40 offset OEM replicas with 285 55 22 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Linex Pro with premium coating in the bed and top 2" of the tailgate where it sees the most abuse. Weathertech floor liners and rain guards.
    Great looking truck! Those wheels will look awesome! What about tires?

Patriot[OP] likes this.
  6. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:50 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Welcome! Nice looking truck there sir!

Patriot[OP] likes this.
  7. Oct 9, 2014 at 6:56 PM
    1G3-TRD

1G3-TRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Vehicle:
    2014 double cab TRD off road
    Welcome from ohio

8. Oct 9, 2014 at 7:04 PM
    grundletaint

grundletaint New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM platinum crewmax
    Welcome from Texas. I grew up in Virginia with the parkway in my backyard. Sure do miss it!

Patriot[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 9, 2014 at 8:53 PM
    ODSteve

ODSteve New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steven
    Vehicle:
    2012 Thundra SR5 TRD CrewMax
    K&N Filter, Low Profile tool box.
    Welcome from South Texas

10. Oct 10, 2014 at 3:07 AM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Thanks for the welcomes! Much appreciated! I will continue to appreciate and learn here and add what I can to help out other members, great site!

11. Oct 10, 2014 at 9:00 AM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Jury is still out on wheels and tires Shawn. I have a good (honest) friend who manages a Discount tire shop and I have been talking quite a bit with him about wheels and tires and options for the Tundra. He cautioned me to be very careful on after market wheels and larger tire packages for the Tundra. He said that he has sees vibration issues often with aftermarket wheels tire configurations on Tundras. Some of the vibes due to poor balancing, some due to poor wheel manufacturing, some tires out of round etc.

I was bummed to hear this....right now I am rolling smooth as silk and would be reeeeeally unhappy if I did not make a really wise move. Wheels and tires are not cheap and I gotta get it right the first time.

Having said all that your wheels look great and I still want a set! Any issues at all? vibs? steering wheel shake? Is all well?

I do appreciate your feedback on the wheels and tires! Thanks Bro!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2014
  12. Oct 10, 2014 at 3:57 PM
    ShawnL

ShawnL Veteran from NH

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    NH
    Vehicle:
    2014 DC limited
    Factory fender flares, 3" front 2" rear Readylift kit. 22x9 +40 offset OEM replicas with 285 55 22 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Linex Pro with premium coating in the bed and top 2" of the tailgate where it sees the most abuse. Weathertech floor liners and rain guards.
    Hey man,
    Sorry I never know where to reply on here...yes I was apprehensive too about spending the money. I'm thinking that the 20" wheels will balance better simply because they are smaller. I'm running mud tires 34 1/2" on 22s. I expected some noise and vibration with the additional rolling weight, and although it IS there, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how minimal it is. Hope this helps

13. Oct 10, 2014 at 5:23 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Awesome bro thanks! You have a great looking Tundra! A real headturner!

ShawnL likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    So the color matched OEM flares arrived last evening. I got home from work and installed the left rear flare. It's suppose to rain tomorrow, so I will be busy in the geeeerage tomorrow finishing up the install. :)
    The most time consuming task is making sure that the rubber gasket is seated properly. Other than that the flares are a pretty straight forward install. I take my time and it seems to always come together just fine. I might pay a visit to the ARE dealer tomorrow and discuss the price of a Z series topper. Need to get busy and finish up the flares. FWIW...

image.jpg

ShawnL and Dilsky like this.
  15. Oct 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    image.jpg

Update to fender flare install. I installed three flares. Went to install the last (front left) fender flare and discovered that I was sent two right side flare mounting brackets. Not good. So I contacted the supplier and naturally there Internet parts dept is closed on Saturday. So I left a message explaining the issue and followed up with an email and order number. Not a real great first time experience, I will have to rethink about ordering from this supplier again given the lack of attention to detail. I sent the supplier an email requesting that they overnight the proper mounting bracket. If they do, this may change my mind about future orders. I realize stuff happens. So for now, my new CM sits in the garage with three great looking flares mounted not all four over someone's lack of attention to detail. Haha! great...just brilliant.
    No cool points driving my new a truck around missing a front left fender flare....ain't happening.

Ending on a more positive note I recently added the Tundra logo to the rear tailgate...here is a photo.

Cheers!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    T-Rex266 likes this.
  16. Oct 14, 2014 at 1:54 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    So Sparks Toyota did overnight the left front fender flare bracket and it arrived today. Install of OEM flares retaining all the mudguards is now complete.
    Image.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2014
    T-Rex266 likes this.
  17. Oct 14, 2014 at 2:09 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Sparks are good people. I've had a positive interaction with them as well.

Patriot[OP] likes this.
  18. Oct 14, 2014 at 4:17 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    They corrected my issue super fast. Very impressed with their customer service. I will do business with them again.

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Oct 15, 2014 at 7:39 AM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    ditto! I believe we are working with them to be a vendor here, and on TW.com

20. Oct 15, 2014 at 9:25 AM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Sounds great!!

21. Oct 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    I guess this will be my slow build thread....a change in plans on the wheel/tire purchase.
    After thinking about it a little, I ordered a Z series topper for my Platinum CM.
    ARE now requires the fuel door be sent in with the order. Evidently they want
    to match the Silver Sky Metallic paint as closely as possible. Some of the colors require this as well. This is my 2nd ARE. topper as I like the fit and finish of ARE products especailly the hidden hinge quaility. I should take delivery the end of Oct or 1st week in Nov. Top weighs in
    at about 180lbs.

After the topper install, I may look into the 2.5 OME or Toytec Boss lift for the next upgrade. I am enjoying the stock ride.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  22. Oct 18, 2014 at 6:19 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    image.jpg With the install of the ARE topper happening soon I decided to have a strip of XPEL paint protection added to the top of the painted area of my tail gate where the topper rear door edge might rub when closed. A 2" strip of XPEL should prevent any paint rubbing issues. This piece runs the full length of the tailgate. The paint protection material is super tough and really protects the paint.

23. Oct 18, 2014 at 6:24 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    Decided to scoop up a set of Michelin MS2's 275/55/20's. I have owned Michlelin MS2's on previous 04 & 07 Tundras and liked the mileage and excellent performance. They ride, handle and wear great, are quiet and one the best all around tires made for the Tundra IMHO.
    Overall a much longer or higher mileage tire than the OEM Bridgestones. MS2's are rated at 70,000 miles which I may or may not get. If I get 55-60k out of these I would be happy. My local DCT store gave me an allowance of $300.00 for the (4) original OEM Bridgestones which dropped the price of set of four MS2's to 759.80. Plus a $70.00 promotional prepaid Visa card from Michelin after my mail in rebate. Just go on line to the Michelin link and fill out purchase info and give them your invoice #, they send you the prepaid 70.00 Visa card. :)

So I am out the door with (4) new 275/55/20 MS2's, a DCT Lifetime rotation & balance and of course road hazard included for $689.80. Obviously no lift, just bone stock suspension.

image.jpg

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/tires/michelin/product/submitProductSize.do?r=TXAINT&pc=35436

24. Nov 4, 2014 at 1:52 PM
    Patriot

Patriot [OP] Member

Member:
    Western NC, “Boondocks”
    image.jpg image.jpg

My ARE Z topper arrived today. I ordered it without the trim piece on the lip of the topper where it sits on the bed rail. I just think it looks a little more seamless. Plenty of clearance and no paint rubbing. Here are a few photos-image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
    Dilsky likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top