1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2013 Tundra Rear window/Sideview Window Defrost w/Remote Start

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by mahicks, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Nov 11, 2015 at 7:14 PM
    mahicks

mahicks [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2013 Toyota Tundra Crew Max
    Hello,

First Post and I tried to search for the answer. I got really close with a post from
    jberry813
    But It didn't quite have the detail I needed. Hopefully they will see this or someone will have the answer.

I am having a DEI Viper 5806V remote start system installed by my local (and only) preferred Viper installer. One of my wants for the system is turn on the rear defrost strips and sideview mirror defrost either when remote starting, or with one of the 4 AUX channels or hopefully (as I have read around) when remote starting and the temperature is below 50.

My installer told me today that they would "have to look into that when they get the vehicle and figure out if they could do it, how it could be done and then get me a price quote to do it."

Upon looking around I see this is fairly common and that my system probably already comes factory equipped from DEI ready to do this.

My questions are does anyone know what steps it would take to wire this up? Is there any additional components? What type of circuit is it (aka latching, pulsed, + etc.?), Does anyone know the location/color on the trucks harness?

I do not mind paying extra for anything but I want to have this information when I discuss the rest of the install, especially since he was not too confident in his answer. To give him credit he is not the actual alarm install guy so he probably and justifiably did not know...

Also, totally off topic to the question but relevant to the alarm install. Is $150 installed for EACH DEI 535T window controller sound reasonable from a dealer? I would need 3 to cover all 5 windows in the truck and am being quoted $450 + tax for this plus the $600 for the alarm and key module + Tax.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Michael

2. Nov 12, 2015 at 12:14 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
  3. Nov 12, 2015 at 1:01 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    I tapped the defrost button in the center cluster (the button below the radio). IIRC, the button is a momentary latch. Meaning one push and the circuit latches closed. Push again and it latches open.
    Unfortunatley I don't have my 1st gen anymore, so wire colors are out of the question. I had to meter the wires on the switch to find which wire was feed and which side was load. The switch feeds a relay that turns on the actual defrost, so there's no need for an additional relay.
    One other anomaly...whenever defrost kicked on with the Viper alarm, the light in the defrost switch did NOT illuminate as if you pressed the switch. It always remained off. However defrost did work. Good luck.

mahicks[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top