1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2010 Tundra Engine and Transmission removal?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by 2010Tundra, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:04 PM
    2010Tundra

2010Tundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    Hello everyone.

I have a 2010 Tundra with a blown up 5.7 engine.
    There was over 230k on the original drivetrain so i sourced a low mileage 5.7 and transmission.

Does anyone know if it's possible to remove the engine and transmission together?
    The info I'm finding seems to show the engine being unbolted from the trans before you pull it out, and even then there's barely any room..

Is there a service manual out there that could give me step by step instructions?

Thanks all!

2. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:14 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    I am not sure how good the new ones are but a Chilton manual use to be very detailed.

Toyota Tundra Repair Manuals
    Chilton repair manuals contain step-by-step instructions accompanied by hundreds of photographs to help you with any task from basic repair to simple maintenance for your Toyota Tundra. Repair manuals from Chilton are written by expert personnel using only a basic set of tools in an easy to follow style allowing you to save time and money by doing it yourself.

Select your product
    [​IMG]
    toyota tundra (2007-2014)
    Chilton Repair Manual for Toyota Tundra (2007-14) and Sequoia (2008-14) covering all models allows you to save time and money by doing it yourself. All repair procedures are supported by detailed specifications, exploded views and photographs.

Our Price: $35.50
    Sale Price: $25.50
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    toyota tundra (2000-2006)
    Chilton Repair Manual for Toyota Tundra and Sequoia covering Tundra for 2000-06 & Sequoia for 2001-07 allows you to save time and money by doing it yourself. All repair procedures are supported by detailed specifications, exploded views and photographs.

Our Price: $35.50
    Sale Price: $25.50
    [​IMG]

2010Tundra[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:18 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    Thanks! I've used Chilton manuals for older stuff too. I wasn't even aware they made them for newer vehicles.
    I hope I can find one locally because I can't wait a week for shipping, I need to get this project done!
    Are there any online resources?

4. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:28 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    You would think getting your hands on a book wouldn't be that hard. But it does seem that everything must be ordered any more.

5. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:31 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Chilton's is good and for that matter Hayne's....but... nowhere near good enough to explain what you want to do. Nothing beats Toyota service manuals.

ColoradoTJ and 2010Tundra[OP] like this.
  6. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    These trucks are pretty common so I bet I can find a book around here if I look hard enough.
    But my local parts place has to order EVERYTHING, I swear.

7. Dec 27, 2017 at 7:37 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    I wad able to find some Toyota service guides for engine removal. It didn't say anything about being able to pull the transmission out with the engine though, which is what I want to do.
    I'm just really not sure if there is space to do that with this truck.
    Has anyone here done it?

8. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:21 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    My Haynes manual says to remove the transmission before removing the engine. FWIW

ColoradoTJ and 2010Tundra[OP] like this.
  9. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:23 PM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    any history on the engine on why it blown up with only 230K ?

trayday and 2010Tundra[OP] like this.
  10. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:24 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    That's interesting, thank you. It's looking like I'll have to remove the passenger side exhaust manifold and the starter in order to remove the torque converter bolts.. looks like I have a fun filled day ahead of me tomorrow!

Black Wolf and blue16 like this.
  11. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:30 PM
    blue16

blue16 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    steve
    Mesa AZ
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra
    remember to smile while your having all the fun. lol

12. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:42 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    This!!!

First off, when pulling motors you want good control and enough room to maneuver this rather large motor out of the engine compartment. I am amazed at how large the Tundra head assemblies are. BA1887FC-C3B9-47BE-B856-58E71FAE31F0.jpg

Here is a small block GM motor and it is dwarfed by the Toyota 5.7L.

I would:

Remove transmission

Remove hood

Remove radiator, fan, shroud, and anything that might hamper with a direct vertical pull.

Reverse the steps.

Now if you don’t have access to a lift or can get the truck up in the or a bit, no way in hell I would be doing this job. It would be worth the 1200.00 for the R&R.

13. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:44 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    Haynes says to remove:
    Transmission
    Belts
    Alternator
    A/C compressor
    Air ducts near timing cover (may be for 4.7)
    Radiator
    Power steering pump
    Exhaust that's routed under engine (says remove manifolds only for weight savings, not required)
    Starter

2010Tundra[OP] and ColoradoTJ like this.
  14. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:49 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    The Beast,
    the engine was actually well maintained and regularly serviced.
    It let go when I was towing a car hauler with an El Camino on it up a steep grade.
    A rod went clean through the passenger side of the block and sprayed oil all over the exhaust manifold. When we pulled over it was starting to catch fire! We were able to put it out before anything was damaged but it was a scary few seconds.
    I'm pretty sure the El Camino I was hauling was cursed. The guy I sold it to broke his winch loading it onto his trailer..

So now I'm here doing this fun swap!

Y0TA PR0, ColoradoTJ and TheBeast like this.
  15. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:52 PM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch

Just goes to show you Toyota’s are mechanical pieces of equipment, and on super rare occasions there are failures. I wouldn’t cry about a repower at 230k miles if the truck was actually worked.

On a side note, I’m glad I installed fire extinguishers in all my vehicles.

16. Dec 27, 2017 at 8:55 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    The rest of the truck is in such great shape it would be a shame to get rid of it. It has certainly been used, and like I said it was always maintained and will continue to be once it's on the road again.

Wynnded and ColoradoTJ like this.
  17. Dec 28, 2017 at 8:29 AM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    Wynnded, what does your Haynes manual have to say about removing the transmission from a 2nd gen Tundra?
    I don't want to make this harder than it already is.

18. Dec 28, 2017 at 9:39 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Drain engine coolant
    Remove trans cooler lines
    Remove driveshafts
    Remove front and center exhaust pipes
    Disco shift cable
    Drain trans and remove/reinstall pan
    Remove starter
    Disco wiring harness
    Remove converter access cover to mark the converter and the drive plate for reinstall in same position
    Remove six converter bolts accessing each by rotating engine clockwise only (viewed from front)
    Remove ground strap
    Support trans and engine (wood block under oil pan (that's what they say is okay))
    Remove T-case mount from cross member
    Raise trans to remove cross member
    Remove trans to engine bolts
    Lower to access upper bolts (long extensions)
    Disco electrical connectors and harness
    Move trans back making sure converter is detached from drive plate and secure so it won't fall out

Some glaringly obvious items I've skipped but may have included some as well. You sound like you're pretty sure what you're getting into and I don't want to seem like I'm talking down to you. This sounds like something I could do if needed and had the right tools, but hell man, it sure does not sound like something I would look forward to engaging in. There isn't a lot of room to work on modern vehicles these days. I've had to do some fiddling on mine in the space between the engine and firewall, and it's fricking tight. I'm guessing that there isn't enough room to remove the engine/trans together like on old classics.

Best of luck!

19. Dec 28, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    gm125800

gm125800 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra Denali
    Your best bet may be removing the cab....
    Coming from an F150, I would occasionally walk through the service bays and see cabs pulled with the engines on a mount..
    Not bashing Ford but I didn't ask why they were pulled.

Munk and 2010Tundra[OP] like this.
  20. Dec 28, 2017 at 10:12 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    That's probably the way they were assembled and were not engineered to have the engines removable any other way. The likelihood of the OP having an engine lift is probably greater than him having a vehicle lift to try to re-purpose as a way to lift the cab, but who knows.

2010Tundra[OP] likes this.
  21. Dec 28, 2017 at 10:41 AM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    I actually did consider removing the cab. I'm aware that some fords need the cab to be removed in order to R&R the engine and trans, or even just to get to the rear most plugs and manifold bolts!
    I do have a vehicle lift, engine hoist, trans jack... all the tools I should need really.
    Removing the core support is a good option too, but it doesn't look like it unbolts from the front end structure; everything looks welded together.
    This is a fun project!

Watt maker and Wynnded like this.
  22. Dec 28, 2017 at 11:50 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    post pics :)

23. Dec 28, 2017 at 6:20 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    It looks like the plan now is to lift the cab off the frame so we can remove the engine and trans as a unit.
    Everything is unhooked except for the steering column now.
    Tomorrow morning we should have the cab and frame separated!
    Everyone who has stopped by the shop thinks we're nuts! Hahaha maybe we are.

NjPro, Munk, Black Wolf and 2 others like this.
  24. Dec 28, 2017 at 7:15 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Wow, this route may actually be more timely. Nice progress!

25. Dec 29, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    My friend and I dropped in this 390 BB with long tubes and transmission attached, all in one shot LOL. We had the back of the car up on ramps to get the angle needed. 68 cougar. It was tight!DB37AC2F-B43D-48AA-BF8E-533D0A6CB41F.jpg 1FAD1D06-CEA3-4FE6-B6AA-6382FF475872.jpg

26. Dec 30, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    Update:

The cab lifted off the frame without incident. 6 body mount bolts, a couple of brake lines and electrcal connections and it came right off!
    Thank God for our vehicle lift. With the cab all the way up on the lift we gave ourself several feet of clearance.
    We were able to snake the engine and transmission, with the t-case still hanging off it, out of the frame.
    With the drivetrain on the shop floor it is so much easier to access all the bolts and accessories necessary to do the swap.
    Hopefully no one here ever has to replace an engine in your Tundra... But if you do I would strongly recommend pulling the cab to make your life easier!
    Thanks for the encouragement, guys. I'll keep you updated on the progress.

27. Dec 30, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    Les7311

Les7311 Look up, what do you see

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Blue Tundra TRD 4x4
    Any surgery pics?

28. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:05 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    I've been taking pics the whole time! Do i need to upload them to a photo sharing site first in order to post here?

Wynnded likes this.
  29. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:17 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    No, you can upload them here to this site and save them in your media/albums. Got to the top right hand corner of the page and there should be a link labeled "You" and it opens a smaller window. Next to your missing avatar is a link to "Your Profile Page". There you'll find tabs for the aforementioned Media/Albums.

30. Dec 30, 2017 at 5:45 PM
    2010Tundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra Trd
    Ok I added an album to my profile media thingy.
    Let me know what you think

CringyDad, TheBeast and Wynnded like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top