1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 tundra feeling feedback in steering wheel at low speeds

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by duckman06, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Jun 7, 2015 at 10:55 AM
    duckman06

duckman06 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Leveling kit, 305/65/18" BFG A/T, vent visors, tool box, bedlineer, step rails, blacked out windows...
    • Has anyone had any problems with there front end, tie rods, lower or upper ball joints, rack and pinion etc...??? on a 2008 Tundra's 4x4?

I have been noticing when I turn left or right at low speeds 5-15mph that I get feedback in my steering wheels that I have never had before. I have been running 305/65/18" sense the day I bought the truck and I am on my second set.

I have 82,000 miles on the truck and take good care of it. So after owning it for 7 years I notice changes in the way it drives sense I use it daily. When this stared to happen took to Toyota local dealer where I have bought 10 plus vehicles from and had mechanic drive it and look it over he found nothing wrong.

So I took it to my front end alignment shop thinking maybe it's out of align he reviewed over it and stated it was fine. This guys don't use computers to align they still do it the old fashion way by hand and truly is the best shop in town. I ask him to drive it Which he did and stated he believes it's oversteering but the rack and pinion could not be adjusted due to design. Not doubting him but I figured if it was oversteering I would fell it at higher speeds also?

Has anyone had any problems like this with there 07-2013 tundras? I just hate that I don't have a solid answer on what it is. Any help would be great.

Thanks

2. Jun 7, 2015 at 1:25 PM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Never heard of this. How long have you had the tires? Have you take it to a different alignment shop for a second opinion?

3. Jun 7, 2015 at 1:57 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Leveling kit, 305/65/18" BFG A/T, vent visors, tool box, bedlineer, step rails, blacked out windows...
    Sense I have the truck. (2) sets of 305/65/18 BFG A/T. I have them rotated and balanced ever 5,000 k miles. Matter fact thinking that it might be a problem had them done Friday. No difference but noticed a little shake which usual happens for about 500-1000 miles till the tires wear back down to the same as the rest. This set has been on for 10 k or 1.5 years.

Do u no of anything that could be casuing this besides the oversteering proposed to be the problem. I would like to take it to another shop but there are no good ones in town but the one I took it to. Dealership says its nothing I disagree sense I no my truck. What I feel is hard to explain but when I turn the feedback come in the steering wheel but doesn't move it I just feel it almost like I am hitting some bumps. Happens at different locations so it's not that simple unfortunately.

Thanks for the feedback this forums are great help sense they cover more area via the Internet for tundra owners across the country.

4. Jun 7, 2015 at 2:41 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Only thing i can think of and this is really really long shot here. The teeth in your rack and pinion are wearing down, why your are feeling it at low speeds. with bigger tires you will wearing down the teeth faster or the clearance needed between the teeth is out of spec.

One other thing is wheel bearings but not likely.

5. Jun 7, 2015 at 2:47 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Thank you so much. So would you say drive it till it breaks or show more signs?

6. Jun 7, 2015 at 3:01 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    I chose noticed I am feeling it also when turning at slightly higher speeds. Also almost feels like a catch in the steering? Very strange to say the less. Almost like a bump in the steering itself.

How have the tundras rack and pinions, power sterring, wheel bearing been holding up on models?

7. Jun 7, 2015 at 3:46 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Alot depends on the driver and other factors like big tires going off road and so on. Most toyota trucks example here they will use the same rack from 07-13 models. Models really dont change till the next gen comes out and most of the time the same parts are used again.

Bearings hold up good and so does the rack but you have ( alot of what if's here).

From what your telling me sounds like your rack is wearing out. Tolerance is going out of spec on you why your feeling it.

Im going to assume the ball joints are not maxed out and the tie rods are not touching anything in a turn. Is there any marks anywhere on the front suspension like paint missing? (example springs, tie rods, uca or lca any have fresh marks anywhere?)

Edit check your sway bar bushings too.

8. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:05 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    The only spots I have noticed is the top of the a arm. The only reason I looked at this area was because I was seeing some spots on my wife's 4Runner. Here are some pics. Hers is posiable hitting in the same area. Both set of tires on my tundra and her 4Runner have been this way for years size wise.

1st pic is my truck

2nd is her 4-runner

image.jpg
    image.jpg

9. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tires are to close to the UCA. Use a spacer maybe inch or more so it will stop that. Thats where your problems are coming from.

10. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:10 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    Ya, def rubbing. Either get some wheel spacers or after market UCA's.

11. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:11 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
    :QuikDraw:

Mike[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    :quickdraw:

T-Rex266[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:25 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Ok guys curious been running this size tires and rims for 7 years why now would the tires be the problem?

The last pic was my wife's 4-runner doing the same thing on stock size tires just BFG.

14. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:32 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Tires change from year to year. Side walls are getting thicker in some tires over the past few years. Also your TIRE PRESSURE makes a difference in turning.

If you have been set up for 7 years and just NOW and i mean NOW... only other thing could be your front springs going weak not able to hold the weight up during a turn.

15. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:41 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Mike thank u so much! I have been running the exact same set up for 7 years same tires, pressure etc...

Could my leveling kit be settling? As it seems lower in the front to me know vs 7 years ago. It's just a leveling kit.

Also I have to ask what about my wife's 4 runner it's the same issiue but she has more spacing between the uca to tire then I do. See pic attached.

image.jpg

16. Jun 7, 2015 at 4:49 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Springs do give out over time. They do become WEAK.. over a period of time.

I dont think so much leveling kit is the problem ( long as its made of metal and not rubber, if rubber is used then it breaking down on you im willing to bet causing problems there).

Edit how much in inchs between tire and UCA?

17. Jun 7, 2015 at 5:01 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    I don't no what it is but probley rubber?

What's your thoughts on 4Runner doing the same thing it's only 2 years old & been running same tires and rims on it sense bought year. Has 22,000
    Miles on it.

18. Jun 7, 2015 at 5:07 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    If it rubber it might be breaking down on you. depends on the grade of rubber used there are several grades of rubber out there.

As for the 4runner if it has the same leveling kit, as the tundra in this case i might start pointing fingers at the leveling kit causing your issue. If you live where you have salt or brine and snow that breaks down rubber faster.

Hard for me to point fingers at one thing without looking at in person, on the lift first then on the ground.

19. Jun 7, 2015 at 6:03 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    thank u again for the continued Info and help. They are different leveling kits for sure and are 5 years apart in age. The 4-runner has had no signs of this in steering wheel etc. I only noticed it by accident on hers. Her tires are much further part then mine.

image.jpg

20. Jun 7, 2015 at 6:17 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Is there any abnormal wear on the tires anywhere from tread to inner of tire facing the truck?

Only thing I can think of man honestly is leveling kit problem, spring or rack problem. Im going to assume tires are balance correctly and force balance to rule that out.

21. Jun 7, 2015 at 7:18 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Again thanks for all
    Your help. The tires are due for balancing and rotation when oil is changed on 4 runner so I will get that done. She drives very little no off-road etc. I just don't think a rack, leveling kit etc. would be failing on hers so soon?

Mine on the other hand possiably yes my tires were just rotated and balanced Friday evening.

Last question today. Is this to drive on like this I travel all the time in my truck and I am
    Concerned about This for sure along with my wife's 4-runner even though she don't travel much my little girl is in there with her

22. Jun 7, 2015 at 7:36 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Just becuase the vehicle doesnt go off road problems will not come up they do come up.

IMO NOW. Is it a safety issue no. Will this cause a accident probably not. As for your wifes 4runner same applies. Keep a eye on the inner tires for marks. If the marks get worst than posted on the uca its time for suspension too be looked at and find the root cause.

Im not going to bash anyone shop but you might want to have a second look somewhere else to confirm they dont see anything. Have them note the rubbing on the arm so maybe the tech can pin point the rub.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2015
  23. Jun 7, 2015 at 8:55 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Again million thanks for your help!!! I will keep a eye on it for sure.

24. Jun 21, 2015 at 6:35 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Update: I used white caulk and marked it on the UCA's on both sides and drove for 2 weeks. None of the caulk came off so the only thing that I can say might have happened was when they were taken my tires off the tires got pushed forward and rubbed them.

So back to square one so to speck can't find anything else wrong or worn. Is there a knuckle or some thing between the steering column that might need greaseing or do you still believe the rack is gong bad?

Any other ideas, suggestions or help would be great!

25. Jun 23, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    Anyone else wish any ideas or help?

26. Jun 23, 2015 at 5:34 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    We have double checked the upper and lower ball joints are fine and the tie rods are spec? Have we check bearings for wear? Check cv axles boots wore or throwing grease? Any strange noises?

We have check suspension so that rules that out.

27. Jun 23, 2015 at 5:56 PM
    T-Rex266

Member:
  28. Jun 27, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    duckman06

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Green 4x4
    No weird noises, they have looked and don't see anything wrong plus drove and can't feel what I am talking about.

I did bring up the tires possiable rubbing UCA's but they agree that I have been running the same size tire for years and don't feel that to be the problem.

Again the only person that shared what the possiable problem could be is my front end guy who says oversterring? I am thinking the rack and pinion maybe getting older and is failing but it drives fine, no noise just feedback in steering. Here is a pic of my tires that have 10k miles on them.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top