1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2008 Tundra 5.7 AT Transmission issues

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Karpenter Ken, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Dec 17, 2016 at 5:26 AM
    Karpenter Ken

Karpenter Ken [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra 4 dr 2 wd
    Stock
    I purchased a 2008 Tundra with 85,000 miles in 2014. I immediately had to replace rear axle bearing thru my local dealership. At that time, I asked the service writer about changing the transmission fluid, and was awed by his answer. Usually when you open the door (metaphor), the S.W's will sell you everything under the sun. His response was, the new transmission fluid never needs changing... At 100,000 I called with other questions and asked again, a different S.W. told me the same, with the long life fluids no need... This ballet was repeated at Jiffy Lube and another quick oil change center with the same result.

I am now at 158,000 miles, and was stunned, the new manager of my oil change service told me, they (Toyota) have amended the long life is now supposed to be drained and filled (using Toyota only fluid) at 100,000 and additionally at 150,000, 200,000 etc. I took my truck to a certified Toyota service center, they agreed and said they could change the fluid. I scheduled and dropped the truck. Because of the mileage, they didn't want to shock the transmission, so they drained 4 qts and replaced 4 qts with instructions to drive 5000 miles and return to properly drain and change fluid and filter. I picked up the truck and noticed it was having trouble shifting from 3-4th gear (RPMs bounced between 3000-2500) after 3 cycles the transmission engaged and ran normal. For the next week first start of the day the same occurred on all but 3 days but only 1-2 cycles. Then the transmission would engage but only creep, no power. Had truck towed to mechanic, they changed the fluid and filter. On the first drive, the transmission a was doing the same thing, issue between 3rd and 4th gear cycling between 2500-3000 RPMs, but settles and drives normal.

Anyone have ideas on the cause/correction to this issue?

2. Dec 17, 2016 at 1:21 PM
    Filthyphil

Filthyphil Lions Not Sheep

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota Tundra TRD 4.7
    I didn't think these transmissions had filters?

3. Dec 17, 2016 at 8:53 PM
    Karpenter Ken

Karpenter Ken [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra 4 dr 2 wd
    Stock
    If it doesn't I've been lied to....

I looked on line and found some technical information that listed a filter.

Today after driving less than 10 miles, the truck began having trouble in all gears, then it popped a check engine light, VSC light and Anti skid off light.

An ideas? The tech sight mentioned a computer, sounded like more associated with the transmission than just the driving computer.

Thanks, Ken

Products Discussed in

To Top