1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2007 tundra BROKEN latches can't be replaced without tailgate open???

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by endurobob, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Sep 26, 2017 at 1:02 PM
    endurobob

endurobob [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BobC
    Vehicle:
    2007 Long Bed
    The latches have welded nuts on the INSIDE. How do I get the tailgate open and the Broken latches off?
    [​IMG]
    I broke one nut off before I realized it would not help anyway.
    What's the trick?
    Yes I took off the panel and used a 15mm deep socket to break one bolt... darn. The latches wont release... one controlled by the long wire to the latch has no clip problem but the latch itself is broken. The other is perfectly connected but won"t release even when the latch seems to get pulled open by the wire.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 27, 2017 at 7:57 PM
    stevj

stevj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
    Vehicle:
    Current RAM 1500 owner waiting for the new Tundra "hybrid."
    The tailgate is being pushed open against the latch by the rubber tailgate stoppers. Keeps the tailgate from rattling around when you drive.
    Take the pressure off the latch by pushing the tailgate hard against the bed while working the linkage.

Steve

3. May 3, 2018 at 2:29 PM
    Roger11

Roger11 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2011 Dark Gray Tundra
    This thread has been pretty quiet. My 2011 Tundra developed a tailgate latch problem similar to the one described by Endurobob. The truck is used mostly as a daily driver to work, but I have it for towing a boat and going on summer vacation with the back fully loaded (with boat in tow). Tailgate is not used a lot in the winter, but when I tried to open it a couple of times when it was snowy I had to pull quite hard on the tailgate to make the latch itself turn and release its hold on the latch pin. I put it down to the temperature. I tried to open it yesterday (it was 80 degrees), and no go, even tugging pretty hard. There was maybe 1/16" movement in the tailgate so not jammed against the rubber stop, the driver's side seemed to release OK but not the passenger side. All rods and clips in place, the rod was correctly pulling the release lever upward in the latch. Wouldn't open even after spraying a ton of penetrating lube from all angles and leaving overnight. Got the tailgate open by having another person hold the handle up while I climbed in the back of the truck and gave it a firm nudge with the flat of my foot. Removed both latches, sprayed even more penetrating lube. The driver's side moves but a little reluctant, the passenger side barely moves and only with a lot of force. Both victims of rust and perhaps infrequent use. Picking up two new latches at the dealership tomorrow.

- Roger

Products Discussed in

To Top