1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 with broken frame - no help from Toyota

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 2006TundraVT, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dec 13, 2019 at 3:13 PM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    I think Utah uses mag chloride. I went to Moab for thanksgiving one year and it snowed on my way home. I remember seeing that dry white liquid looking film all over my truck when I got home. To me that's indicative of mag chloride.

2. Dec 13, 2019 at 3:29 PM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    Some counties might use something different, but udot is stating "white salt and brine". We have a lot of salt in the desert and I think my local county uses just white salt. It's not as bad as people think. Just wash your car and keep the bare metal coated. Obviously it's worse than states without any snow, but my windshield likes salt more than sand.
    https://www.deseret.com/2014/11/25/...trategy-udot-has-saved-30-percent-of-its-salt
    https://www.udot.utah.gov/main/f?p=100:pg:0:::1:T,V:2,70433

3. Dec 13, 2019 at 3:37 PM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    This is for the MD/DC area:

Materials Available for 2015-2016 Winter Season

Salt is the principal winter material used by SHA. It is effective at pavement temperatures of 20° F and above.

Salt brine is a solution that can be used as an anti-icer on highways prior to the onset of storms, or as a deicer on highways during a storm. Salt brine is 27 percent salt and 73 percent water. SHA makes extensive use of this material. It has a freeze point of -6° F. Salt brine will be produced and used at SHA’s 14 brine making facilities.

Magnesium chloride (mag) is a liquid winter material used in deicing operations. The material has a freeze point of approximately -26° F. It is used in the colder regions of the state, primarily in the northern and western counties.

Abrasives including sand and crushed stone are used to increase traction for motorists during storms. This is mostly used in Western Maryland.

By way of comparison, the Atlantic Ocean is 4% salinity. The Great Salt Lake UT is 14%. The Dead Sea is 33%.

4. Dec 13, 2019 at 8:32 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    No, they don't at all.

They do sand and gravel. Your frame doesn't rust, but your paint and windows get sandblasted. We also only get 11" of rain a year so rust isn't much of a problem up here even though its the 'north'.

5. Dec 14, 2019 at 4:27 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    Straight from MDot https://www.mdt.mt.gov/travinfo/travinfo_faq.shtml

Products Discussed in

To Top