1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2006 with broken frame - no help from Toyota

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 2006TundraVT, Dec 4, 2019.

1. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:14 AM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Journeyman welder here. My analysis of the pics says that it could be fixable but really isn't likely to be worth it. It looks like its rotted right through and there's a good chance the rot extends into that joint which compromises that part too.

The best fix would be to grind and cut out material until finding healthy metal (who knows where that will be) then adding a patch or boxing it in if possible. Depending on extent of the rust, a quality weld in a structurally sound place may be difficult at best or not even possible.

Obviously I'd have to see it in person to may a final call, but based on what I see there and comparing it to similar repairs I've done I'd say unless Toyota helps you out with a new frame it's time for a new truck.

2. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:15 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I think he meant the body. He apparently never looked under the truck. That truck is donezo

3. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:22 AM
    Marty McFly

Marty McFly Nobody calls me chicken!! Except when off roading

Member:
    First Name:
    Morty McBoonJug
    McBoonJug = McDonald’s and Moonshine in a Jug
    Vehicle:
    2016 StormTrooper Tundra CrewMax TRD PRO

Toyota is going to say “I’ve seen less rust on a ship buried in the bottom of the ocean” and then make this face at the same time :eek:

:laughing:

MS22, JohnLakeman, Wizumz and 2 others like this.
  4. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:28 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All us southern boys and girls on here thanking jesus we don't have to deal with that. Oh, and all the third genners in here with their shiney behemoths.Tough break OP.

5. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:49 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Just my opinion - I wouldn't "help" you either if I was Toyota. 11 year old truck, run ragged in salt... its done its job. Time for a new truck.

It would be really sweet if they did help, I just can't see it happening.

Wizumz and PCJ like this.
  6. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:20 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Well the frame rot is a known issue for 1st gens. Toyota has paid out a few billion dollars to fix it. 11 years really isn't that long and Toyota's "fix" for this really wasn't much of a fix at all.The undercoating just hides the rust and it continues to get eaten alive. We get this type of posts 2-3 times per week.

Where I lack sympathy is all the people that apparently never once crawled under their trucks or did anything to protect their frame for the past decade. Then they act shocked when they discover the frame is gone. Had they sprayed the undercarriage before every winter this likely wouldn't have happened.

Here is a good example. Truck is immaculate on the outside until you look under it. That's sad.

Luckydog, bmf4069 and BubbaW like this.
  7. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:27 AM
    Wizumz

Wizumz New Member

Member:
    Stamford, CT
    This isn't just Toyota trucks... I never understood why Toyota bent over for their customers to such a degree but very nice that they did. This happens with all cars in the Northeast with owners that don't take preventative measures. We had a family car, Chevy Tahoe that degraded so severely it had to be taken off the road, it was 12 years old. Since it was a family car, no one took ownership of it and got it properly undercoated pre/post winter. We were towing 4500lbs+ with it and not even thinking that the frame was corroding to dust; thing squeaked to hell and had water in the doors sloshing around haha, junk but quite the tank

8. Dec 10, 2019 at 11:31 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    This is my understanding as well. I've seen alot of salt driven cars - and they all look like dog shit. I took a pristine Chevy Camaro to college in Ohio, and drove it all season long, without rinsing the salt off. Two years later, half my exhaust was dragging down the highway, and the frame was just about there as well.

Salt eats cars - Toyota's might have been more susceptible during a period, but its not like they were completely negligent. Coming out of the woodwork for a frame damage claim in 2019... I just wouldn't expect help.

Luckydog and Wizumz[QUOTED] like this.
  9. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:08 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    Indeed. That is horrific. I am 100% a fix it guy...but you have to have good metal somewhere to weld to.

The crack itself is a ten minute weld job...but everything else looks like its a year away from being just as bad.

scpete24[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Yep, thet ain't no "crack", not even in the most subjectively, euphemistic description. When the OP said "crack", I was visualizing this nice, well-defined crack in full thickness steel. :D

Seems like car companies should build Northern Editions with hot-dip galvanized frames and chassis components. They would probably cost $5K-$10K more though.

11. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:10 PM
    Wizumz

Wizumz New Member

Member:
    Stamford, CT
    I'm all-in on the galvanized frame and chassis components option! Where do we sign up, Toyota?

12. Dec 10, 2019 at 2:41 PM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    I think you guys are jumping the gun here a little bit. The decay/crack is a clear indication that the frame is dying, but rusted metal, even this bad, still retains a significant portion of its design strength. I don't like how the rust is progressing toward the sway bar bracket, but the OP biggest enemy is the pending VT inspection. Since the inspector will fail it for a patch panel, and fail it for the existing crack, I say trick the totalitarian bs to give yourself another year to find your next truck. This way you'll probably be able to sell to out of state that doesn't have the same annual inspection and recoup some of your money.

Remember that the load is actually carried by the vertical sides of the channel frame. The rusted flat part, particularly the center section, contributes almost no strength when considered as part of the entire assembly.

I'd place a patch/backer plate inside the frame covering the crack, then fill that section of frame with some foam to hold the patch. Next get some bondo or fiberglass to smooth over the crack. Once cured, i'd distress the area to match the existing frame before and aft, they I'd spray the entire frame with rubberized compound to blend it in. Viola, passed inspection for another couple of years.

13. Dec 10, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Dat frames gnar gnar bra!

AZBoatHauler likes this.
  14. Dec 12, 2019 at 3:31 AM
    foxtrapper

foxtrapper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5
    Well, I wouldn't call that a crack. VT won't accept a patch, and the patching would have to be vast.

Is the frame strong enough to drive? Probably. I've driven and worked trucks with far worse damage. 'Course, I've also broken frames, which is an interesting experience when going down the road.

Anyhow, the fix, especially for VT, is going to be a frame replacement. Expensive if done by others, time consuming and heavy if done by you. Worthwhile? Probably not.

15. Dec 12, 2019 at 5:25 AM
    Scuba

Scuba Sober member

Member:
    Austin, Tx.
    Vehicle:
    2012 Texas Edition CM.
    I don’t even live there but I agree with this. I just don’t understand why “everyone” up there is so amazed their junk is rusted out. Hell, even if I wasn’t a car guy I think I could put 2 and 2 together and realize a car needs some work during the winter to keep it from rusting to shit.

I’m sorry if it sounds like I have no empathy. I do. But if you’re a 20+ year old person in a state where they salt the roads then do your due diligence and protect your junk or keep your mouth shut.

16. Dec 12, 2019 at 11:48 AM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    I’m sorry if it sounds like I have no empathy. I do. But if you’re a 20+ year old person in a state where they salt the roads then do your due diligence and protect your junk or keep your mouth shut.[/QUOTE]

Scuba don't play...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlrHo2ItFlM

bmf4069 likes this.
  17. Dec 12, 2019 at 11:56 AM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    They're not inspecting this thing like it's a nuclear reactor. VT gets around $5M from annual inspection fees paid into their general fund to spend on whatever liberal crap they can think of. The inspection shop wants to get the job done as quick as possible, for as little cost as possible. The incentive for the shop is minor infractions that are discovered, the vehicle owner just says "fix it while you have it on the lift". VT makes money, shop makes money, truck owner pays.

Throw something inside that rail to hide the gap, smear/cover it with grease, undercoat, tar, whatever, and move on.

KarmaKannon, Aerindel and Wizumz like this.
  18. Dec 12, 2019 at 12:40 PM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    There are companies that sell entire Jeep frames for $1900 -- like Quadratec. For an extra $600 they'll hot dip galvanize it. You gotta figure the largest auto maker in the world could do it for less than that.

Aerindel and Wizumz like this.
  19. Dec 12, 2019 at 1:08 PM
    tglyder

tglyder New Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010
    That ain't no rust, that's light that POS on fire and walk away.
    I live in SALT Lake City, where SALT was invented and still never seen such terrible rusting.
    Do you drive on the beach and salt water?
    or is that really a picture of a Chevy?

KarmaKannon likes this.
  20. Dec 12, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    There are all different types of chlorides used on the roads here in the rust belt. Salt is bad but magnesium chloride is worse. Even normal washing isn't going to do much to get it out of all the crevices in vehicles, his frame looks about what you'd expect for most 15+ year old vehicles around here.

speedtre likes this.
  21. Dec 12, 2019 at 8:15 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Yes, perhaps they could. But, unlikely they're going to do it for any price. If they did that, they wouldn't be able to sell you northerners as many new trucks. :D

22. Dec 12, 2019 at 8:16 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    I know why you guys keep calling it a northern problem....

But just know that not all of the north is the same.....

Festerw, JohnLakeman and KarmaKannon like this.
  23. Dec 12, 2019 at 8:32 PM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    At work we had some stuff quoted for not dip galvanize and it was a $200 minimum and I think for that if not much more they would have done a whole 5'x10' trailer frame. We sent some small stuff over a while back and one of the guys asked if I had anything to take over because the minimum covered much more than we had to take. Really wish my sliders were done at that time.

24. Dec 13, 2019 at 3:06 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Do they salt/brine really heavy in Montana?

25. Dec 13, 2019 at 3:14 AM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    I'm guessing it's sand like Idaho. Just a guess. Wow I actually can't remember if I've been in Montana in the winter. Idaho and Wyoming sure, but I'm not finding any files marked Montana winter. My family always jokes about rock chips whenever going to Idaho or Wyoming in the winter though. That sand stuff is brutal.

26. Dec 13, 2019 at 3:16 AM
    foxtrapper

foxtrapper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5
    Which is not what took place.

27. Dec 13, 2019 at 4:51 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    Reasonable and Prudent, otherwise it depends upon what the cop says.

28. Dec 13, 2019 at 5:48 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I've heard Colorado doesn't salt either. What about Utah? I'm making a mental checklist as we explore western states to move to "someday".

29. Dec 13, 2019 at 6:23 AM
    foxtrapper

foxtrapper New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5
  30. Dec 13, 2019 at 2:27 PM
    remington351

remington351 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DoubleCab
    You have something to add, Foxtrapper?

The OP does not say the inspection failed. OP says his mechanic indicated the damage is beyond what is allowed by VT law. I'm reading that the title to his truck has not yet been revoked by VT MVA due to this rust issue. Otherwise, if VT has already condemned the vehicle, there's not much point to this entire thread as the truck now has a salvage title on file in VT.

I think the OP asked his mechanic, who may also be a VT inspection station, "Hey, what are my options?" and the mechanic said "Not much, I cant pass it with that level of frame rot"

If so, my suggestion is still viable. Patch it for looks, spray the entire frame to hide it, pass the inspection.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019

Products Discussed in

To Top