1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 Tundra vs 2013 Tacoma 4.0L for Towing?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by bubba_smith, May 17, 2024.

1. May 21, 2024 at 9:11 PM
    Tlar25

Tlar25 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC SR5 4x4
    If you actually would use the extra 14 inches of bed length often and would be hindered by not having it, then I get it. But if 90% of the time you would be fine with the 5 foot bed, it seems silly to give up the interior space when your son is 6'7", unless he just always rides up front. But not my truck so whatever. The crewmax just has an absurd amount of interior space and much better storage, although I found the driver's seat in mine very uncomfortable compared to my 2006 that I have now. But wow the back seat was nice for car seats and everything else.

2. May 22, 2024 at 7:05 AM
    MT-Tundra

MT-Tundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC 4wd V8 Limited
    If we want to talk about "what's the best tuck for towing", that's a whole different conversation. If you strictly want to know "will a first gen Tundra be an improvement in towing experience from a '13 4.0 Tacoma", that's another question. One only a select number of people can answer. As we've seen in this thread, strictly going by truck and engine size won't necessarily provide an obvious answer.

So if we go back to the first post, asking "what exactly are you hoping to improve?", you say you want to improve size and towing capacity. That's an easy yes. The Tundra has higher weight capacity, more space/bigger size. There are all sorts of other considerations (age and all the little nickle-and-dime problems that come along with it etc.), but the answer to the questions in your first post are pretty easy. Yes. First gen Tundra has more weight capacity, and is bigger.

bubba_smith[OP] and Tlar25 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top