1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2004 Tundra Stereo upgrade,Updated!!

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by freerider8, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Jan 22, 2017 at 6:01 PM
    freerider8

freerider8 [OP] Trucks Rule

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra, Lift Kit aftermarket wheels and tires. One Badass Toy!!
    Fuel Wheels. Lift Kit. Duel Exhaust.
    So I have an 04 Tundra with a 6 disc CD changer. I am looking to upgrade to a different head unit and have looked at a few units I like. I was considering one with a touchscreen or the other unit without that. They all will use Bluetooth and USB, Aux input. I want to keep the install cheap since I don't want to spend a lot just to change out the unit. I would go to my local Audio shop and even though they are very good, I don't want to spend 500 bucks just to do something simple. I am not installing any amps or subs since there is little room in the truck for that. My rear seat does not go forward, there is a storage compartment under the passenger rear seat but the box for that is 200.00 and that is not something I want to spend money on. I will just spend money on some aftermarket speakers to improve the sound later.

2. Feb 7, 2017 at 7:48 PM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    So finally got the new stereo installed. Did it myself and I must say I am pleased overall with the results. There is a little space between the sides and the panel but it isn't that big of a deal. I will take pics tomorrow and upload them then. I didn't have to bypass the factory amp like I originally thought I would, I purchased a harness from Bestbuy that prevents from needing to do that. Just connect to the harness that comes off the factory deck and insert the RCA jacks into the aftermarket deck and boom you have the factory amp still usable so you don't have a loss in sound quality. I will try and add a additional amp and subs later but money is not something I have an endless supply of. The box for these trucks to use subs are not cheap. I already have an amp from a previous system in a different vehicle but the subs are 12's and I don't need them. I would like to part with them but haven't had anyone willing to buy them. Anyways, I am happy with my new setup so it's all good.

honda50r likes this.
  3. Feb 7, 2017 at 8:53 PM
    TXRailRoadBandit73

TXRailRoadBandit73 YOTAS,RAILROADIN',RÖKnRÖLLN',BEER,MAX/GEMMA

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    The 956, TEXAS
    None yet
    Check out *********.com they specialize in Tundras

4. Feb 8, 2017 at 8:03 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    In my 06 Tundra I replaced the factory head unit with a Pioneer deck and I swapped the door speakers out for Infinity's. The sound was 20x better. 10 years ago I would have added subs but I was very pleased with just the new deck and door speakers.

freerider8[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 8, 2017 at 4:06 PM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    Nice mods there Mike. That's a lot of mods for the cheap way out.....lol

6. Feb 11, 2017 at 3:25 PM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    So got everything hooked up on the unit. Sirius XM antenna and mic for the bluetooth phone. Stereo works great and sounds great too. Eventually will replace the speakers but the factory ones sound good so I am gonna wait.

20170211_174236[1].jpg

7. Feb 19, 2017 at 1:23 PM
    freerider8

Member:
    Fairview PA
    Vehicle:
    So after searching for amps and subs that could work with my 2004 Tundra access cab I decided to not go that route to save money and use the Kove 800 watt amp and 12 inch Subs I already had from two previous vehicles. It is not the most practical in regards to the subs just because I had to put the seats up and sit them on that lower deck. I really don't use the rear seats that much anyways so I figured what the Hell, I can just remove them if I need too use the seats for anything. Simply unhook the wires and pull the subs out of the truck. Bought an amp kit on Amazon and installed the amp and subs yesterday and today. I am very happy with the results and the added base it gives my system. Ran all the wires under the floor panels that meet the doors so everything is tucked away.

Products Discussed in

To Top