1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2002 Tundra Steering Shaft

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by MikePell66, Mar 22, 2021.

1. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:27 AM
    MikePell66

MikePell66 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I have a 2002 Tundra Access Cab, SR5 2wd. I bought it at dealer auction through a friend a few months ago and have been messing around with it since I got it. Unfortunately being sick with Covid set me back a while. The steering column was changed at some point, probably right before the auction because a couple nuts from the column were in the glove box. One thing I noticed after I bought it because I couldn't drive it before it hit the auction block is when the tires are straight, the steering wheel is 1/4 turn out of place. I can't remove steering wheel and re-install straight because of clock spring. Is there a simple way to break one of the shaft U-Joints and straightening wheel that way without dropping the entire column? Hoping the spline joint at firewall inside? Thanks

2. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    An alignment shop should be able to do it easily since they always adjust for the crown in the road.

l haven’t done it but if I had to guess it’s most likely the point where the steering column is joined to the intermediate shaft right near the floor boards.

Edit: I looked it up on youboob, it’s done with the toe alignment. Forget what I said about the steering shaft.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  3. Mar 22, 2021 at 10:53 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I actually had a similar problem and was told it's not advised to fix it this way. I forget the word empty lord used. If the steering wheel was removed, and it's now off center, it needs to be correct at the wheel, not from an alignment. Mine got off when I replaced the steering shaft seal and didn't line it back up correctly. I was off by 1 notch when I re-installed the shaft to the steering rack

What about the clock spring is preventing you from doing this? We've had several members remove and replace their entire steering wheel. I think there are videos online for our trucks.

w666 likes this.
  4. Mar 22, 2021 at 11:02 AM
    Jack McCarthy

Jack McCarthy Truck repair enthusiast; Rust Aficionado

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    North of Boston
    Vehicle:
    02 Tundra AC SR5 V8 4x4
    As I recall, I could remove the steering wheel without any issue of disturbing the clock spring when taking my column apart.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
  5. Mar 22, 2021 at 7:18 PM
    MikePell66

MikePell66 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    I believe the clock spring is fixed to the column and meant to be an equal distance turn to right and left. So it is designed for 5 total spins (not sure what you would call it), 2-1/2 to the left and 2-1/2 turns to the right. I'm thinking if I was able to remove the steering wheel and re-position it to straighten the 1/4 turn, wouldn't the clock spring now be at risk of snapping because I'm turning it 1/4 turn more one way than the other? Maybe I'm over-thinking it? I just thought the easiest fix would be to remove the shaft off the steering knuckle u-joint and spin it until the steering wheel is straight, then slide the coupling back over the spline.

6. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:07 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    First things first, remove the inner rack boot clamp, slip it past the inner tie rod joint and measure the left and right travel between the backside of the inner tie rods.

If this is different left and right, you just need an alignment to re-center it.

If this is even, then pull the steering wheel and reinstall with it level.

7. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Ok. This is what to do first. Go to the tie rods. Check the threads, exposed threads should be “close” (rarely exactly) the same side to side. If one side has more threads exposed than the other, it’s an alignment issue. If they’re even, the rack is not indexed to the steering column correctly. If the later is the case, remove the airbag, and pop the steering wheel off. Once the wheel is off you can move the wheel a tooth or 2 for it to be straight, from there the spiral cable will be able to be moved freely (BE CAREFUL NOT TO LET IT ROTATE ALOT)

If the rack is not indexed properly and it’s attempted to be fixed by way of alignment you risk possibly having too few threads in the tie rod that could lead to steering failure

you CAN do this at the rack to column joint, but it’s much more of a pain and if you let the wheel rotate 180 degrees you’re much more likely to damage the spiral cable assembly

8. Mar 22, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    This can be done too, but visually inspecting exposed threads on the inner tie rod will get it close enough to safely align

Products Discussed in

To Top