1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2001 Having trouble in the rain

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Docstoc, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Jul 17, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    Docstoc

Docstoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra TRD RWD
    None
    i have a 2001 2WD double cab that I love. For the past year it’s been misfiring when ever it rains and I live in Hawaii where it rains a lot. I’ve taken it in to my mechanic and at first they suspected 2 of my fuel injectors but replacing them didn’t help. Then they found transmission fluid leaking into the onboard computer and recommended changing that. When. I spoke to a local auto electric shop the guy said that it didn’t sound like a computer problem cuz it’s only when it rains. So now I got this truck that runs perfectly in good weather but as soon it rains it barely runs. Any ideas? Went out and got a 2017 Tundra but I’d really like to get my 01 back on the road.

2. Jul 18, 2019 at 2:13 AM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    You need to do a water test. Start with it running and use a house and start wetting down likely looking wires, starting from the bottom up until the symptoms occur. They should give you an idea where to look. Most likely its a wire with broken insulation that is partially shorting out when wet. They can be hard to find but a water test should narrow it down. Do it systematically and take your time, you may have to let the truck dry and repeat it as you narrow down the area.

Without knowing anything else though I would look into the oxygen sensors. A failed primary sensor (the ones before the cat) can cause the truck to go into limp home mode which it sounds like yours may be doing.

If this happens every time it rains this should be pretty easy to find with a hose test.

3. Jul 18, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    Docstoc

Docstoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra TRD RWD
    None
    Thanks for the help. Just clarify, pop the hood and spray water in one area at a time to try and localize the area and then repeat to close in in the culprit?

4. Jul 18, 2019 at 12:13 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Sounds right. You may even try a spray bottle of some kind to close in on it if you think your close.

It may be something lower to ground. The upper area under the hood usually does not get very wet.

speedtre likes this.
  5. Jul 18, 2019 at 12:16 PM
    DaBoro54

DaBoro54 Beach Fisher

Member:
    Leveling kit, 285/70R18 EXOs
    My old 90 F150 would shut off when I had a bunch of water hit it. Turned out to be the plug wires. I’m sure your mechanic checked that. Just offering my .02

cfus89_TUNDRA and Lake.Life24 like this.
  6. Jul 18, 2019 at 12:57 PM
    Lake.Life24

Lake.Life24 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Upstate, NY
    Vehicle:
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD Gasser
    Same with an older ford I had. Spark plug wires.

7. Jul 18, 2019 at 2:16 PM
    Docstoc

Docstoc [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra TRD RWD
    None
    Thanks everyone. I’ll let you know how it goes!

8. Jul 18, 2019 at 4:21 PM
    Aerindel

Aerindel New Member

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC, SR5, 4.7 V8 4WD, 325,00ish miles.
    Yes. Although since water runs down you want to start at the bottom and work your way up. If you start spraying water form the top you will have no idea if the issue is at the top of the engine or the bottom or what. The idea is to find the area where the problem is and then let it dry and then come back that that area and wet down specific spots until you find it.

For instance, if you find it only happens when the left side of the engine bay gets wet then let it dry and then come back and start wetting down sections of just the left side.

Casper421 likes this.
  9. Jul 19, 2019 at 5:40 AM
    bajaphile

bajaphile New Member

Member:
    Solana Beach, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 Limited
    Icon Coilovers, Icon AALs, JBA headers, 285/75r16 BFG KO2s
    When the misfiring occurs, does the check engine light come on or not? Do you have any codes? I'd at least get a code reader and check to make sure, as it would help with ID'ing the issue. It would be helpful to know which cylinder(s) are misfiring.

If the CEL does not illuminate or a stored misfire code on a particular cylinder, I'd then wait for a hard downpour and then try to pull into a garage or cover and open the hood and check the engine bay for where the water is getting into. That will most likely point you to the right direction.

Does the misfiring happen after driving (water getting into all sorts of different areas) or just after sitting in the rain?

My first thought would be water somehow getting on the coil packs, but that's a long way for water to travel. I'd check the components around the outer perimeter of the engine bay (DS fuse box etc).

Products Discussed in

To Top