1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tundra frame replacement

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Jarvo11, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Sep 16, 2016 at 12:11 PM

Jarvo11 [OP] New Member

Sep 16, 2016
    just wanted to share what Toyota is doing regarding my 2000 Tundra frame. As you may know, there was an issue with early Tundra frames and cross members that necessitated a recall. I had taken the truck in when the recall came out, and had it inspected. That was years ago. At this years State Inspection time, may machanic advised me to take it back in fir a frame inspection, because he felt the main frame was no longer safe to be driving on. I got under the truck with him, and both sides of the frame had huge sections missing. They no longer exist. I honestly don't know what was holding up the rear end of the trasmision. The rear cross members also had corrosion holes in them. So I took my truck into a Toyita dealer, and had them take a look...

Now, at 286000 miles, I wasn't expecting much. It still runs great and the body is in very good condition. I thought maybe they would offer a very low buyout toward a new truck, or tell me it was a total loss. But, to my amazement, Toyota is going to replace the frame, and give me a free loaner car for the duration of the rebuild which could be several months. I got a 2016 Camery fir the loaner. I have also started looking around for a new, or recently used truck, and I have to say that I am seriously going to look at Tundras again. There have been minor repairs along the way over the 14 years I have owned it, but it still rides and runs and looks great.

Kudos to Toyota for honoring their commitment to their customers. You have created another loyal Toyota family. We currently also own a 2008 Highlander Sport, which my wife loves...and my children are watching this too!!!
    Law323, Sean266 and TheBeast like this.
  2. Sep 26, 2016 at 10:20 AM

louie59 New Member

Sep 26, 2016
    First Name:
    I had my 2000 Tundra for 10 years before selling it to a family member 6 years ago. He recently passed away. We had a potential buyer come to look at it over the weekend. The buyer asked to see it up on our lift. Wouldn't you know, even though we took it in for the recall in 2009 and it passed with flying colors, it now has terrible corrosion where the spare tire carrier attaches to the frame, at 169,000 miles. We were so concerned about how bad it is, that we drove it to Toyota of York, York, PA, today, 9/26/16. Dealer advised they will replace the frame and offered a rental on the spot. It will take about 4 months for the frame to come in. I am super impressed that 7 years after it passed the recall inspection, they'll still honor the replacement. I have been driving Toyotas since 1985 and this is why. I thank them for taking the high road and they can feel free to quote me on it!
    TheBeast likes this.
To Top