1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tundra Frame Recall

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by PdiddyV, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Jul 9, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    PdiddyV

PdiddyV [OP] New Member

Member:
    All,
    I've search numerous threads looking for this topic but none were exactly like mine so I'm just throwing this out there hoping someone has solid information.

I have a 2000 Tundra, SR5 with 100k on it. It runs great. I had both recalls done(2009 and 2012 at my Toyota dealership). The 2012 recall, they noted severe rust and even replaced the gas tank brackets but otherwise nothing was done. I now have a hole the size of a softball in the frame that is rusted through in two locations. The sway bar link even ripped out from it and can't be reconnected because of the rust/hole. My question is, since the recall was completed on time at a Toyota dealership, is the recall itself warrantied? Meaning, if the recall ended in 2012 and I found a hole in it in 2013, am I out of luck? I've seen threads that say the "recall warranty" is 10 years from the recall date or a total of 15 years from your date of purchase, but I can't find that in writing from Toyota. I called Toyota Customer Care and she didn't give me the answer outright but said that I should take it to my Toyota dealership immediately to have it "sprayed" because that is still under recall. Not sure what to think. I guess I probably have a hunk of junk now but I don't want to lose her, she's so nice otherwise!!! Thanks

2. Jul 9, 2018 at 7:06 PM
    Festerw

Festerw New Member

Member:
    Cambridge Springs, PA
    Vehicle:
    04 Tundra DC
    Take it to the dealer, worst case you're no better off, best case you get a new frame.

I still see posts around where people are still getting them replaced.

3. Jul 13, 2018 at 2:07 PM
    PdiddyV

PdiddyV [OP] New Member

Member:
    Update: Ok, so the Toyota dealership has authorization to replace my entire truck frame under the recall. The issue is that when they take some of the 18 year old parts off of the frame, they won't be able to put them back on due to wear/tear/ rust etc... They estimate it will cost me 3-5k out of my pocket to get the recalled frame replaced now because of the cost to replace worn parts. The parts they are speaking of are not broken and are in working order as of now. Anyone else have this issue when they replaced a frame?

4. Dec 19, 2018 at 2:01 PM
    2000Toy

2000Toy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2000 silver Toyota Tundra
    stock
    PdiddyV where did you go Holland Michigan Toyota will not help me out at all. I would pay for the extra parts as needed if I could get the frame replaced.
    john.hoogeveen@vistaspringsliving.com

5. Dec 19, 2018 at 2:46 PM
    larry2007

larry2007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra
    Hi, I have a 2007 Tundra and received a notice to have it inspected for frame rust. Took it in and dealer said the rust wasn't bad enough to have the frame replaced. Three weeks later, I filled her with gas, pulled out of a gas station and the gas tank fell out of the truck. Has anyone else had this experience? Welding shop said the straps didn't rust out. The frame the tank is attached to rusted out. I have been waiting two weeks now for a new frame part from Toyota.

Products Discussed in

To Top