1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000 Tundra Battery Bracket Issue

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Autoreload, Feb 19, 2023.

1. Feb 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM
    Autoreload

Autoreload [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Black Tundra SR5
    Previous owner did not have the battery retention bracket installed, allowing the battery to slide forward enough to strike the inside edge of the upper inner fender. Over time this sliced a hole into the top of the battery, fluids had been leaking out long enough to eat away down to bare metal. The rust and corrosion is a problem.

I have a new battery, battery tray, etc. and am working on getting this all into place but the rust and corrosion is worrying. I want to remove the metal bracket, clean and paint it as well as the inner fender underneath.

20230219_103212.jpg

20230219_103223.jpg

I pulled every bolt near this bracket and noticed very small spot welds around the perimeter. Three along the edge closest to the radiator, three outboard and one at the inboard firewall corner. I can reach these welds with a drill easily enough to cut out the welds but I am concerned there may be more spot welds hiding inboard, facing the engine. I would only be able to reach these from outside the vehicle with the driver's side wheel off.

This one repair is turning into a whole can of worms and I haven't found any information on this particular issue. Does anyone have input or advice?

2. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    JasonC.

JasonC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 4.7L AC Limited 44k mi
    Why not just wire wheel the heck out of it and prime and repaint that area?

(Not sure about the answer to your actual question, OP!)

3. Feb 19, 2023 at 1:28 PM
    Autoreload

Autoreload [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2000 Black Tundra SR5
    I realize I didn't spell that out! My issue is the corrosion under the battery bracket. I can't reach it without removing the bracket which seems to be welded in. I've encountered issues like this over the years and I always end up either ignoring it or having to remove the part that's in the way.

Products Discussed in

To Top