1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2000-2002 Radio wiring harness source?

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by srsupertrap, Nov 19, 2023.

1. Nov 19, 2023 at 12:46 PM
    srsupertrap

srsupertrap [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tundra Access Cab SR5 TRD V8 4WD
    Looking for a 2000-2002 OEM Radio wiring harness from the back of the radio to the wiring harness. Yes, the stereo installer cut off the OEM connector to splice in a Tomtom. The 2 OEM harness connectors are shown at the bottom right. The unusable single Tom tom is on the left hand side.
    OEM Radio Spliced.jpg

Picture of the OEM CD/Cassette/Radio and the spliced wiring harness I need to replace.
    Radio 3.jpg

Thanks in Advance

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  2. Nov 19, 2023 at 1:02 PM
    jerryallday

jerryallday New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jerry
    Pasadena, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC SR5 V8 Grey
    6112 lift, Camburg UCA, 17 methods on 33inch Ko2 tires
    I bought the below when I installed a new radio. My wires were also cut from the original owner installed an aftermarket radio.

I had the new installer add the oem style connector so changing radios would be easier in the future if needed

Oem harness
    Metra 71-1761 87 - 94 Toyota Vehicle Harness

Wires to new radio
    Metra 70-1761 Radio Wiring Harness For Toyota 87-Up Power 4 Speaker

3. Nov 19, 2023 at 3:08 PM
    srsupertrap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Looks like those 2 harnesses provide a M/F connection to the OEM harness.

For my 2000-2002 Radio I have 2 male connectors shown below similar to the 70-1761. The small connector has 5 pins while the 1761 Small has 4 pins. Larger OEM male has 9 pins vs the 70-1761 with 10pins
    OEM Radio Connection 2.jpg
    The other end being a single female connector which plugs into the OEM radio. Don't know what the female connector is or the pin out either.
    Easiest route would be getting an un molested harness. Wishful thinking :)

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  4. Nov 19, 2023 at 9:30 PM
    NickB_01TRD

NickB_01TRD You don't need less cars, just more driveway.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    KY
    Vehicle:
    01 Tundra V8 4X4 AC SR5 TRD
    Trying to piece together here. You should have an OEM amp in this location to run that radio.
    upload_2022-11-2_22-52-2.jpg

If you remove this amp you will have a "standard" Toyota style connector plugging into the bottom of the amp. Is this still there? Can you post more pictures of what remains in your truck? Wiring harnesses back side of radio. Anything that may be helpful for identifying things.

5. Nov 20, 2023 at 6:31 AM
    srsupertrap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Yes, the OEM amp is installed as shown in your picture. The OEM Amp connector was not cut off when the Tomtom was installed.

The amp connector is now plugged into the back of the OEM radio. The back of the radio has 2 connectors.

I will post a picture of the back side of the OEM radio and the recessed radio connector.

6. Nov 20, 2023 at 7:21 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Everywhere it's six-sex-six by luck

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Typically speaking, the harness that Metra sells plugs into the two connectors that plug into that amp. Assuming you bought the right harness. EDIT: It should be two plugs going into the amp. The one on the right here is mostly out to the speakers. The left one is mostly power etc.

upload_2023-11-20_10-27-20.png

And here's the harness breakdown, taken from the audio section of the megathread

[/QUOTE]​

Last edited: Nov 20, 2023
  7. Nov 20, 2023 at 6:11 PM
    srsupertrap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    Figured out the radio problem. Here is the picture of the 2 connectors on the back of the radio. I did not know the radio only required 1 connector from the amp.

Radio Connector Side.jpg

Turned out the stereo installer did not cut into the wiring harness. The Tomtom install disconnected the 2 OEM connectors which plug into the OEM Amp. The 2 OEM Amp connectors were connected to the two connectors wrapped in black foam. The female connector connected to back of the Tomtom.
    OEM Radio Spliced.jpg
    I saw splices in the Tomtom harness and assumed the worst. The harness above is not OEM but sure fooled me.

The radio works fine, cassette works fine but the CD only plays some of my CDs. I guess I will take it apart this weekend. I know there is a thread on that subject ;)

NickB_01TRD likes this.
  8. Nov 20, 2023 at 6:28 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yup, it's basically a fixed line with one plug coming out of the amp. I wanted to post a pic of it but came up short. Basically... Two plugs going into amp for power, spkr. Black glossy-wrapped wire bundle coming out of amp up to the stereo via one plug. When retrofitting, you remove the amp completely, then use the two plugs going into the amp with your adapter harness.

I had issues with the OEM CD/Tape player in my '06 playing some of my burned CDs. It played any properly-mastered disc no problem. Super weird. And my truck is really low mile, it's not like the old guy who had it the first 50k miles burned it out :D

9. Nov 21, 2023 at 4:40 AM
    srsupertrap

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    First thanks jerryallday, NickB_01TRD & shifty`for the help. :)

The OEM CD is playing store bought discs but has a problem with burned CDs too. My departed 01 Tacoma TRD had a similar OEM CD and played burned and properly-mastered disc no problem. Odd indeed.

NickB_01TRD likes this.
  10. Nov 21, 2023 at 4:57 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Sometimes it’s just the media used. I found if my burned disc had a white painted side (Memorex brand I think?) it played fine. Anything that used gold or silver. Or was unpainted was problematic.

It may have more to do with the ink/foil internal to the disk though? I notice the foil color on my burned disks vary from gold to aqua blue to dark blue. It seems the darker ones worked more readily. The aqua blue ones had the most issue. Anyway YMMV. I moved to discless head unit now (Alpine ilx-w650). I do miss having the ability to play discs since not all my music is streamable, but I make do. I’d love to find a head unit that looks OEM-like (like my Alpine), i.e. it’s mostly screen, and would even be cool if it had a single knob, but also has a disc slot.

11. Nov 21, 2023 at 5:36 AM
    bfunke

bfunke Tundra Curmudgeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryan
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR-5 CM 5.7, 2000 SR-5 AC 4.7L
    Shifty’ is right. Twenty years ago there were lots of threads about CDs not working in Toyota players. My 2000 AC will play a music CD but not MP3s on a data disk. Be sure to burn them as music disks at a relatively slow speed such as 2-4x and close them out. I think CD-R is more likely to work than CD-RW. YMMV.
    https://www.lifewire.com/burned-cds-dont-work-in-my-car-534600

srsupertrap[OP] and shifty` like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top