1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st oil change- AmsOil???

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Dstride, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Mar 3, 2019 at 1:40 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    I used Amsoil in my 7.3 PSD with the oil bypass and used the Pen UP in my Jeep JKUR with the Mercedes designed, Fiat bought Pentastar 3.6. Even with 200k on the PSD, I'll never know if it was worth the expense or effort. Sold the Jeep to get the Tundra and was just following the factory recommended fluid and Interval.

I'm doing the same with the Tundra.

I do wish Toyota would eliminate the severe duty reference as it creates more questions than it answers. I understand the owner might vary maintenance regionally due to climate, but California, Texas, and Florida arent the same as Idaho, Chicago, and upstate NY.

Oh well..

2. Mar 3, 2019 at 1:41 PM
    Tierhog

Tierhog SIG-AHOLIC

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax Limited 4WD
    Mostly stock/TRD accessories/Morimoto XBs
    Airmen think so alike sometimes it scares me..

Hammy68[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 3, 2019 at 3:20 PM
    Ericsopa

Ericsopa Old man and the sea

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    N of Rio Grande, S of Red, E of Pecos, W of Sabine
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra CrewMax TRD Ltd Super Duper White OVtuned
    It has not been my intent to foment the argumentive posting of some on this thread. I have my preferred oil, as I'm sure others do. But to those who seem to want to insist that I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to Amsoil's formulation, I offer the following, my final comment on the matter.

Amsoil Signature Series is a PAO/Ester blend. It is a strictly formulated Group IV/Group V full synthetic lubricant.
    Over the years, Amsoil has added other "grades" of synthetics, OE and XL. I am not sure if these are stictly PAO/Ester or not. My guess is that they were developed to compete with other, less expensive formulations.

PAO is a synthetic hydrocarbon that is made by "building up" small, uniform ethylene gas molecules into larger, uniform molecules. Since PAO (Group IV) as a base is made from ethylene gas, it is crude and natural gas dependent. But it is not a refined crude oil, as are Group I, II, and III oils.
    Esters (Group V) are used in conjunction with the PAO base.

Below are links to more information, if you are interested.

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/29113/base-oil-groups
    https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/31414/high-mileage-oil
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
    https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/esters-in-synthetic-lubricants

Peace, y'all.... :)

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  4. Mar 3, 2019 at 3:21 PM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    Post #13.
    Post #15.

There is FULL synthetic oil.

Then there is 100% synthetic oil.

Do your homework. Know the difference. Be informed. Make sound decisions.

Then there's blondes with big b00bs!

JohnLakeman and Trooper2 like this.
  5. Mar 3, 2019 at 4:26 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Exactly...not all synthetics are alike. Similar in many ways but.... different blends and that pesky elephant in the room>>>>>>>chemistry. Do your homework. Know the difference. Be informed. Make sound decisions.

Trooper2 likes this.
  6. Mar 3, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Twinky

Twinky Keep the shinny side up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Kemah, Texas chillin on my ChrisCraft 480
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Full synthetic vs full synthetic i doubt any difference is marginal for your every day consumer.

Full synthetic vs a blended synthetic vs a conventional oil i feel pretty confident that there are advantages (if cost is not apart of the equation) that you get from using a full synthetic vs the other oil types.

Those advantages (longer intervals, extended life, less ware) only matter when you take into consideration what type of vehical owner we are dealing with.

Work is about to come to a hault if im on my phone any longer but ill finish my post a little later. Or maybe someone else will pick up where i left off.

Back in a couple hours.

Trooper2 likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2019 at 4:41 PM
    KLLVMDCL

KLLVMDCL New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC SR5
    All the “non partisan” testing I’ve seen on YouTube has shown that Amazon oil functions slightly better than Mobil 1. Haven’t had the balls to put it in my rig though. I guess branding matters more than performance on some subconscious level

JohnLakeman, Trooper2 and jtwags like this.
  8. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Capture _2019-01-02-10-49-28.jpg
    I asked Blackstone labs about this and they said time wasn't a big deal.
    But I do agree with changing the oil once a year if that's all you drive.

9. Mar 3, 2019 at 6:22 PM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    There's at least a couple more members here who have used Blackstone. I think it's a great idea utilizing actual test data. :thumbsup:

Trooper2 and 1engineer like this.
  10. Mar 3, 2019 at 7:45 PM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Stereo upgrades: -HU, Pioneer Mvh bs501 -Tweeters, Peerless(vifa) XT25SC90-04 1" Dual Ring Radiator s in custom pods. -Mids, Silver Flute W17RC38-04 6.5" Wool Cone Woofer. -Subwoofer, American Bass XR12. 2.3^3ft tuned @33-34 hz. -Tw Amp, Old School 2ch Sony. -Mids Amp, Old School Autotek Sx275. -Sub Amp, Old School Memphis 16-pr1.1000 -Zero gauge big 3. 0 and 4 gauge copper runs to amps.
    Actually, Penzoil Platinum synthetic is made from natural gas, or something similar. Not crude oil though.
    Its an industry first according to their web advertising.

Other than Pen, yes, they are pretty much based off which ever distributor/refinery of crude oil.

I may be wrong but i think there is different qualities of crude that coincides with certain regions. Probably doesnt make a difference after its refined, but interesting to note.

Trooper2 and 1engineer[QUOTED] like this.
  11. Mar 3, 2019 at 7:50 PM
    1engineer

1engineer New Member

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road.
    I used them many years ago and most recently on a 2010 4Runner. Gives you a good baseline.

12. Mar 3, 2019 at 7:52 PM
    1engineer

1engineer New Member

Member:
    Appalachians
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road.
    That process ends up with a similar product as crude oil with a lot less impurities which means a lot less refining which means a lot more profit lol.

Black Wolf likes this.
  13. Mar 11, 2019 at 1:44 AM
    Dstride

Dstride [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport crewmax White
    Yes, but, yota service called to have me scheduled for first service right at the 3/3mo. Interval. So interesting indeed...

Black Wolf likes this.
  14. Mar 11, 2019 at 1:47 AM
    Dstride

Dstride [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra TRD Sport crewmax White
    Now that ive let the hounds off the leash, ill clear the air a bit, ive never used amsoil in any of my trucks, jeeps, or motorcycles, have used it in my 2-cycle stuff, and have heard great things, but, my experience has been with M1, royal purple, GTX, and chrevron, and haven't had any issues with quality synthetics in the past. Thank you all for your input. And experience with this. Cheers!

Black Wolf likes this.
  15. Mar 11, 2019 at 1:49 AM
    Twinky

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    07 double cab work horse
    Did the 07/09 models come with full synthetic?
    If they didnt that might be a possibility.

16. Mar 11, 2019 at 5:54 AM
    Black Wolf

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    Yep..full synthetic ...5W-30

17. Mar 11, 2019 at 6:24 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Now, you know why I seldom contribute to a motor oil thread, and when I do, it's usually with extreme hesitation. This reluctance from an engineer (MSME): 10 years hands-on maintenance experience of industrial rotating equipment, auto enthusiast performing own vehicle maintenance for about 60 years, always keep my vehicles for at least 10yrs/100K miles (kept 4Runner 30+years/180K miles), have never had a driveline or chassis failure due to poor maintenance, sell my vehicles in above-average condition for above-average money.

My opinion has been shaped by my experience and conversation with a fellow enthusiast who was lead design engineer for engines at GM. On motor oil brand choice, everyone is convinced it is extremely important to the longevity of their engine, everybody thinks they're right, positions are seldom supported by real evidence, and in the end, it's your truck and your money. You can spend a lot more money, or a lot less, on your maintenance. Just like the old archaic 3000 mile OCI, spending more certainly won't hurt, but it may not help either. Bottom Line: Follow Toyota's recommendations and your Toyota will last longer mechanically than you want to keep it. :thumbsup:

mnm567, Wynnded, Twinky and 2 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top