1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen. Lunch Table - General Discussion

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by NUDRAT, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:31 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    A dude with no ladys or kids in the truck doesn't need bathroom stops. Just an empty gallon of water.

2. Oct 10, 2022 at 8:31 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Hell, load it up as a roller, and slap a kit body on top of it.

I may need to look into these for our garage. I've got a good empty space above my wife's Highlander hood that these would tuck nicely into. I'd never seen 'em before.

Why not just hit FB Marketplace or CL and find a cheap $100 3-bike hitch rack, or is your hitch receiver occupied by a trailer for this journey? You could always try tossing on Greyhound to be shipped up. Or ship standard via BikeFlights or ShipBikes (I prefer BF), but you'll be out $80-150/bike to have your local shop box them for shipping, then half that to pay for ship. And you need to worry about damage.

You can quit, you just aren't quitting. I smoked for 21 years (ages 10-31). Met me now-wife, we quit together. You must have a legitimate desire to quit. It helps a hell of a lot if you have motivation and someone to be accountable to (and for). Hardest part was breaking Pavlovian-like associations: Cigarette while drinking, playing pool, after big meal, after sex. Certain activities I just felt like "damn, a cigarette would be icing on the cake", you gotta kill that mentality. Fill it with something else.

And the physical fixation of having something to do with your hands, getting past that was weird. Very close friend of mine has been trying to quit for the last 14 years I've known him. He's been successful for weeks and even months at a time. He's tried cold turkey and weening. He's still smoking today. It's tough. I'm ~20 years out from quitting at this point. NGL, I still get tempted to have one when drinking with friends and we're all outside while they have a smoke. The craving never goes away.

You can do it. But it's a damn battle.

Missing story: Old pic was at low tide, 2nd at high tide :rofl:

3. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:11 AM
    daveeasa

daveeasa FBC Harness Solutions

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 RCLB 4x4, 2005 RC 5MT Prerunner, 2016 Tacoma OR DCSB 6MT
    The Tundra will have space volume-wise, it’s all about ease of transport and preventing damage. So cheapo hitch rack is an option. The racks I own are hitch tray style.

I actually think, maybe the best choice is just cardboard bike boxes. They don’t have to be fully packed but that would allow them to lay 3 flat above the bumpers and hopefully eliminate damage. That or some blankets.

shifty` likes this.
  4. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:17 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    If you've never done this before ... Most bike shops will have them, often for free (some will charge arbitrarily $10-40 for a damn box). Find a shop looking to toss a few out. Ask if they have the plastic fork retainers also, it's a plastic wedge that snaps into the fork ends.

Open the brakes, pop off front wheel, slap in the fork retainer. Remove pedals. Pop off the handlebars (or pop out stem, if quill) and lay them on the top tube (if drop bars), with cables intact. The bike should be skinny enough to fit in the box with handlebars now. If you want to put the front wheel in with the bike, pull out its QR and slide a piece of cardboard between the frame and front wheel once both are in the box.

PS - I always tip $5/$10/$20 for free boxes. This ensures I always get free boxes, and my local shop mechs get free lunch.

5. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:37 AM
    tokolosh

tokolosh Serial procrastinator

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    05 AC V8 SR5 Phantom Grey
    new driver
    Going back to 4.88's? What you have in now?

6. Oct 10, 2022 at 9:58 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Yep, with or without the mirrors, you can have this rack.

Edit: we’ll both wear wigs!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
  7. Oct 10, 2022 at 10:15 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Wait, so who's wearing the wig? We need pics.

txagg and FrenchToasty like this.
  8. Oct 10, 2022 at 10:21 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    One of the 3 bikes to transport has been at a local shop (local to San Diego) for 4 months now, while waiting on di2 parts (hybrid of gravel grinder parts and road parts as it's my commuter). So, they would most likely be thrilled to give me some cardboard if I asked as I'm sure this bill will be more than I wanted to ever spend on that bike. I have some fork separators and wheelbags too, those are easy to bring down, easier than the bike racks, along with a pedal wrench and some ziplocks, though I wouldn't imagine they would really be needed since I can probably lean the three at an angle and avoid significant compressive forces.

I don't believe I own a bike with a quill stem but I can't remember, I think that commuter did come with a threaded headset and it's been so long that I am not sure if I swapped it to threadless or it's still my lone quill. Anyway, I think with an 8' bed and shell I'll have more than enough space to leave the bars intact. It's mostly about not scratching up bikes on bumpers or (even worse) something shifting during travel and putting a dent into a tube. I remember using the Tundra to travel to races, I had a 2x4 and fork mount rack, my saddle just barely cleared the roof of the shell (different shell though) and I could fit 3 bikes inside. Granted that's without 2 front bumpers and a 285 spare tire and Tacoma divider, but still lots of room, definitely enough to fit some side mirrors.

TLDR: Recycled cardboard boxes likely seems the easiest route, some extra bubble wrap if I need it would be easy to get at the last minute.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Oct 10, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yup. Stand vertical. Slab of cardboard (like fridge box) to separate them. Moving blanket between bike and cardboard. Done.

I thought you were packing up a box truck or something, and needed to pack tight. I wouldn't take bars off or anything unless you're boxing. Just lay the bikes head-to-tail like TT so they'll stack side by side. And still remove pedals so you can snuggle more closely and remove another dent source.

biggest causes of tube damage/dents are chainstay kickstands, handlebar spin-whacks (top tube), pedal whacks & front brake caliper spin whacks (down tube) and things falling from above (top tube). Kickstand doesn't apply here, so just think from the perspective of "how do I avoid the others?"

10. Oct 10, 2022 at 10:30 AM
    Casper421

Casper421 Toyota RidgeTrac driver!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    In the woods
    Vehicle:
    06 DC
    Sorry, bad grammar on my part. I haven’t regeared yet so still have stock 3.92 or 4.10.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2022
    tokolosh[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Oct 10, 2022 at 10:47 AM
    daveeasa

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    The bed will have:

1 2nd gen front bumper (wrapped with some protection but not currently strapped down)
    1 285 spare tire (not strapped down)
    1 Tundra front bumper pickup in Clovis (hopefully, gonna call Billy right now)
    1 Tacoma divider
    1 24" wheel kids bike (nearly adult sized)
    1 adult mountain bike (reasonable width handlebars at least, not like my primary MTB which is extra wide)
    1 road commuter with TT bars and di2 (stuff I really don't want to damage)
    1 cabinet's worth of painting/caulking supplies I forgot

I think 1-2 bins of stuff I couldn't fit in the Tacoma when I left, maybe a bin of electrical boxes and plugs/outlets which would be extra ironic since I've re-bought those.

Possibly 2 side mirrors if I can't get them to Sunnier in time.

I would presumably have a tiny bit of space in the cab, enough for my clothes and sleeping stuff.

I think an 8' bed with shell can fit all that with some intelligent planning, just trying to minimize stupid spending and prep for success. I screwed up by realizing I couldn't fit bikes _after_ I had stuffed the bike racks inside the primary moving truck (they were way at the front, it wasn't something remotely possible to retrieve). And I cheaped out by not doing a trailer with the Tacoma.

I could easily fit everything in a trailer this trip but I don't think there's much of any need to go that far and a mostly empty trailer is kinda worse than a packed truck bed in terms of damage potential.

Mr.bee and shifty`[QUOTED] like this.
  12. Oct 10, 2022 at 12:31 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    I enjoy the act of tetris-ing a load.

NUDRAT[OP] and Sunnier like this.
  13. Oct 10, 2022 at 2:19 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    This statement can be unpacked in so many ways....

txagg likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:26 PM
    txagg

txagg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2000 4x4 TRD Tundra access cab
    Stone cold stock
    Think it's getting close to time to cash out on the Raptor. Not sure I will ever get the AC back, as my dad loves it. I had some work I wanted to finish on it, but he hasn't had any interest in switching back to the Prius. With that, I have been doing some best gen shopping lately for a fill in vehicle. Markets thin in Texas. We have two girls and they fit fine in the AC, but we have a third on the way. Have ran across a couple of Ridgeline's but am hesitant.

bmf4069, 5N0W808, RUSTYNUTS and 5 others like this.
  15. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:29 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    None
    Congrats on the new addition!
    Are the girls out of seats or in boosters? I can’t wait for my youngest to be in a booster and boot that huge safety seat!!!

RUSTYNUTS and txagg[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:37 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
  17. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    txagg

txagg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stone cold stock
    Thanks! Wasn't at all planned, but you only yolo once. 3yo is in a front facing safety seat, and will be in a booster in no time. Oldest is 10, and has no problem sitting behind me in an AC. Wife is short, and is comfortable with the 3yo behind her. Afraid the 3rd will make it too tight. But we don't necessarily need to take my truck places, the wife's suv works for that. I have a 2023 Raptor ordered that's a 22 carryover. Not sure If I want it with the price increase.

5N0W808 and FrenchToasty[QUOTED] like this.
  18. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:41 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    raptor R?

19. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:44 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    XraptorX
    The straight edge raptor

des2mtn and shifty` like this.
  20. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:48 PM
    snoope

snoope The Old Man

Member:
    Congrats on the "newbie" and I can tell you from experience that a Ridgeline "works for a small family" :thumbsup:

I purchased my Dad's once he stopped driving and we used it religiously with the grandkids as they had outgrown my Tacoma xtra cab...and come snow time my wife Loved how that dam thing just plowed through NH snows...And was not squirrelly :burnrubber:like the Taco...:rolleyes:

Plus ,you put a Pacer/jack rabbit cover on the back it makes beach day EASY, and that big freaking cooler built into the bed :hattip:
    Only problem was that thing loved gas like my Tundra :cheers::cheers::cheers: and we tired of two trucks...BUT I made $$$ with it on trading towards Momma's Lexus ES :cool::cool::cool: They hold their value as good as a Yota product...

txagg[QUOTED] and FrenchToasty like this.
  21. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:51 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    I need stickers for my ranger.
    F8979D93-C844-4D7B-8BB2-A5C12E8EDD6C.jpg

bmf4069, 5N0W808, RUSTYNUTS and 2 others like this.
  22. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:52 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    Short for Compact Raptor. Ingenious.

Sunnier, 5N0W808, RUSTYNUTS and 2 others like this.
  23. Oct 10, 2022 at 6:58 PM
    txagg

txagg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stone cold stock
    I passed on the R, couldn't make sense of the price difference. I ordered two of the same truck last November from two different dealers, in case one of them lied and didn't have an allocation. I got one in Feb, and the second one got pushed to a 23 model bc of supply chain issues. only problem is there's been a 10k MSRP bump from what it cost when I ordered the 22. I can sell mine for 10k over what I paid. I originally planned to do that and then keep the second one, but China messed up that plan.

24. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:02 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
  25. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:04 PM
    txagg

txagg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stone cold stock
    bmf4069, 5N0W808, RUSTYNUTS and 2 others like this.
  26. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:06 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    Damnit, can I stop by one day too?!

27. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:07 PM
    txagg

txagg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    Stone cold stock
    Not really looking at Honda Ridgeline's. Us AC owners lovingly refer to the double cab first gens as Ridgeline's. If I end up buying a double cab, I'll have to think of a new schtick.

RUSTYNUTS and FrenchToasty like this.
  28. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:09 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    think it'll hang with 305hp of titan?

txagg[QUOTED] and FrenchToasty like this.
  29. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:12 PM
    FrenchToasty

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz
    Vehicle:
    None
    Also, I know everyone has a renob for captain chairs….. I really like my front bench seat, I felt like Cruzer got excited when he saw it too. I’ll have 4 humans and 2 midsized beasts all riding comfortably in a few days. The setup has proven itself and I really like it. Daisy up front with me can be a pain,(the dog) she likes to nuzzle and use her feet to much to get comfortable so that can get old, and she farts a lot……..

30. Oct 10, 2022 at 7:14 PM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    bmf4069 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top