1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1st Gen 2006 Tundra SR5 Access Cab 4WD Max You Want To Tow

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by TundraCharger, Sep 1, 2020.

1. Sep 1, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    TundraCharger

TundraCharger [OP] New Member

Member:
    New to the forum, so thanks for any responses and knowledge in advance and happy to have a chance to ask some questions.

I am looking to buy a Lance 1685 that has a dry weight 3805 lbs and a dry hitch weight of 405 lbs. My truck has the factory tow package and looks to be rated at 6900 pounds and a hitch weight of 690 pounds. If I use 80% of the 6900 lbs that would math at 5520 pounds for pulling which is just above the trailer GVW of 5500, am doing the math correct? I also have a brake controller on the truck. I am asking to understand if I am in the right truck/trailer combination.

Beyond the weight concern, are there any items I should do to the truck such as a larger transmission cooler or other changes to make sure it is not straining and minimizining undue stress on the Tundra. I also plan to use a weight distribution hitch and sway control added to the trailer. I want to make sure I can travel the country and will need to make sure I can handle passes I may run across.

I am new to this trailer towing discussion so any off your experiences and guidance is much appreciated.

YardBird likes this.
  2. Sep 1, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Welcome to the forum. The first thing I would do us make sure both your front and rear brakes are completely dialed in. Our trucks are notorious for having mediocre brakes. That brake controller should help though.

I'll try to tag a few 1st gen owners that tow based off memory.

@Surf_spear_Mex
    @Professional Hand Model
    @ezdog
    @CodyP

3. Sep 1, 2020 at 8:48 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    hey welcome. I've towed a few TTs with my 1st gen. Biggest gripe for me was the mirrors. Being that our trucks are so narrow any clip on mirrors really don't extend out enough. Long story short, I modified some dodge dumbo ear flip out mirrors that work a lot better. I have a brake controller as well and the setup was different from what you are saying. Per instructions of the controller, they want you to get up to about 25-30mph and use the brake controller only to bring you to nearly a stop. Adjust accordingly.

If you have VSC on your truck be ready to die...or disable it. I would be pulling a trailer going 55-60 down a pass and the VSC would kick in....apply brakes to the inside wheels (I'm guessing) and push my truck and trailer to the outside.....HORRIBLE DESIGN. Oh, and it also retards timing or pulls throttle, whatever. No bueno. SO, there is a plug to pull that will light up 4 lights, traction control, ABS, VSC, and BRAKE but it does the trick and keeps ABS (I'm 99% sure) and the brake controller working.

The power of the 4.7 isn't the greatest going up passes unless you are already over 60mph. If you get stuck behind a semi and need to get back up to speed typically you're only gonna get back up to 55mph or so. Not a huge deal since no one should be towing over 65-70 anyways. Your trailer may be lighter and you may not even notice the difference.

Lastly, I would make sure to have anti-sway bars on an WDH setup when towing...always easier and safer.

4. Sep 1, 2020 at 8:55 PM
    YardBird

YardBird Native San Diegan

Member:
    First Name:
    Jonesy
    Vehicle:
    2005 RCLB
    American Thunder Cat Back ~ Retrax Pro ~ Toyota Bed Mat ~ OEM Split Spoke Wheels
    Welcome aboard from SoCal.

5. Sep 2, 2020 at 7:18 AM
    TundraCharger

TundraCharger [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks everyone so far for the comments and your time. I was planning on having a full go through of the truck, since it is at just of 90K mileage, water pump and belt changed already, but I think the brake comment was a concern of mine, so I may just have a one time full check done on all stuff. Mirrors, yeah, I was looking into those, thanks for the advice on how you did it, I was looking at the slip ons, sounds like a waste of time and money. VSC, I will have to look into that and disable if I have it. Also a Padres fan, Yardbird, grew up in North San Diego County, Randy Jones, Ozzie/Templeton, Winfield and others!

6. Jan 8, 2021 at 7:41 AM
    2scars

2scars New Member

Member:
    RVA
    Vehicle:
    2013 CM Limited 4x4
    I have recently gone from a 19' 3200lb camper to a 26' 5000lb camper. Both are 8' wide and the ratchet on style mirrors with the straps do okay. I wish we had the Ford SD style tow mirrors available in the aftermarket but we don't. The biggest problem with towing with these trucks is the mirrors and slightly underpowered V8. But with a long 05 DC Tundra it tows the trailer great.

Products Discussed in

To Top