1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

1700mi trip for Overland Expo West. NV, AZ, UT

Discussion in 'Trip Reports' started by InfernoBoyz, May 25, 2023.

1. May 25, 2023 at 4:31 PM
    InfernoBoyz

InfernoBoyz [OP] YoutubeTech

Member:
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2016 Inferno Tundra Double Cab OR
    We hit the road from Reno towards Flagstaff for the Overland Expo West and camped our way around the SW USA. We totaled 1700mi back to Reno on what was a 5 day adventure in my Tundra.

Day 1: We camped on Mt. Charleston, 40mi just north of Vegas. What a beautiful region with dispersed sites all over. There are a few established campgrounds but we took Mack's Canyon Road about 10 miles to locate our site. There are two entrances to the mountain, coming from the North we took Lee Canyon's road 17mi before making a right onto Mack's Canyon Road.

IMG_0705.jpg IMG_0691.jpg
    IMG_0699.jpg

Day 2: Saw the Hoover Dam then hit the road to Flagstaff and jumped on Edge of the World trail. 26mi of dirt from Flagstaff took us 2.5 hours but we were rewarded with a beautiful spot on the edge of the world overlooking Sedona. The next morning we hit the road out, taking Fry Park Road back to pavement onto 89 north to reach the Expo.

IMG_0750.jpg IMG_0757.jpg IMG_0737.jpg

Day 3:
    Overland Expo West was a nice visit, great rigs and some very cool companies showcasing their gear. I've been running my ARB Simpson tent for a little over 4 years now but seeing some of the quality RTTs out there makes me want to upgrade. We felt 1 day was enough of an experience for us so we hit the road north away from the storm to find camp.

IMG_0780.jpg IMG_0776.jpg

Camped North Rim Grand Canyon. We took Buffalo Ranch Road somewhere around 25 miles to the edge of the North Grand Canyon. There were 2 sweet Tacoma's parked here, looking great for a photo op. Vermillion Cliffs is visible from here as well.

IMG_0798.jpg IMG_0828.jpg
    IMG_0823.jpg

Day 4: The next morning we hit the road to St. George, Utah and beyond. Found early camp at Virgin River, AZ but we were quickly hit with heavy wind and rain so we packed up and hit the road west in search of camp. We came across Valley of the Fire State Park, Nevada and were lucky enough to find a great campsite away from the wind and rain, tucked up against the rocks. We had no time to explore the park on foot but will definitely be back.

IMG_0908.jpg IMG_0902.jpg

Day 5: 500mi day back to Reno.

Equipment notes:
    This was my first trip running an Iceco 65qt fridge + Jackery 500 and I was really impressed. The Jackery was never lower than 80% and charged much quicker than expected on their 100w Solar Panel. I might be interested in a 45qt for weekend trips as the 65 was more than enough for 2 people/5days.
    Zipper on the tent broke first day so was running with a strap the whole time, new one just came in.
    I think my next project is a more efficient water system. Carrying 3x6 gallons jugs got annoying fast.. Other than that everything else worked out great.

I'll share the trails if you want em!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 25, 2023
  2. May 25, 2023 at 7:11 PM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Thank you for posting! I'd love your list of trails (or tracks).

3. May 25, 2023 at 9:25 PM
    Cruzer

Cruzer Wheeling Full Size

Member:
    First Name:
    Cruz
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Vehicle:
    Build Page: Cruzer's Re-Build for the Rubicon
    Awesome photos!

InfernoBoyz[OP] likes this.
  4. May 27, 2023 at 5:04 AM