1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

15-17' Tundra TRD Pro or 21' TRD Sport/offroad

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ZiaTundra, Oct 16, 2020.

?

Which would you choose?

1. 15-17 Tundra TRD Pro

12.0%
  2. 21 Tundra TRD sport/offroad

88.0%
  1. Oct 16, 2020 at 2:44 PM
    ZiaTundra

ZiaTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    I'm debating between these two Tundras and need some opinions. Both are a Crewmax 4x4.

I like the Pro for it being the top tier model, Pro accents, leather and I think will have better resale than a non Pro Tundra. Hate that it has halogens which can be fixed.

I like the new model for it's LED headlights, dual zone climate and army green color. Only con if it's even one is not as exclusive as a TRD Pro.

I've read about the Toyota safety sense. Of course the Pro would not have it and 21' model would. Not sure if this is a pro or con either way.

Please vote or provide feedback. Thank you

2. Oct 17, 2020 at 6:11 AM
    DIYDad

DIYDad New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra 1794
    Lower trim level vehicles always retain resale value better than higher trim. Just check out the residual tables for new leases.

All that is kinda moot if you plan to keep your vehicle for a long time though, so it really comes down to which vehicle you'd be happier in for the next 10 years or so.

Depending on mileage, the upgraded suspension on a ~5 year old Pro is going to be due for a rebuild or replacement anyway, so aside from the accents, what are you really getting?

ZiaTundra[OP] and CavalryCrew602 like this.
  3. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:19 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    While I normally would agree with you, the Pros don’t seem to fall in line with that.

Which actually has me agreeing with you on which one to buy, since used Pros cost so much.

Get the 21.

1. Like the previous post said, you will be putting new shocks under the used Pro soon anyhow, so go ahead and put whatever suspension you want under the 21.

2. Pros leather is same as Limited models. You can get Katskin leather interior, which is higher quality.

3. 21 Sport / OR I believe also has push button start, proximity entry, CarPlay. All of which are very nice features that you use every time you use the vehicle.

4. In almost all cases you can get lower finance rates on new trucks vs used.

4. Oct 17, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    TelemarkTumalo

TelemarkTumalo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Pro Double Cab Army Green
    Driver side grab handle Door sill protectors Falken WildPeak 295/70 R18 X-Pel clear front paint protection 20% front window tint Go Rhino RB20 side steps - Bedliner finish Lock'er Down 1/2 console safe Toyota bed cargo divider Toyota auto tail gate lock
    Without knowing anything about the used truck, it would depend on the condition, previous owner, CarMax report, mileage, cost, etc. Plus, I'll bet that Pro is already gone by now. They don't last long.

With that said, I think the features on the new trucks are very helpful. I like the TSS system. Anything that makes driving safer, is worth it in my mind. Both trucks are likely to be very reliable. Changing out the lights on the Pro is certainly reasonable. As noted above, the '21 has some updated electronics and there will likely be an advantage buying new if you are financing.

Regarding cost and resale value... this largely depends on the mileage and condition, but all things being equal, the Pro will likely carry a higher resale value into the future.

5. Oct 17, 2020 at 4:14 PM
    RotorRail

RotorRail New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Silver Sky Platinum
    Used prices are nuts for tundras right now. A Tundra is one of if not the only trucks you can buy new and not get too hammered on depreciation. For reference I have a 2018 platinum with 10k miles that I owe $33k on. I haven’t even looked up what I could sell it for but I’m pretty sure I’m sitting well in it if I wanted to trade/sell. I don’t think you could say that about a Chevy or ram.
    Long story short with Tundras I don’t think the benefits of nearly new are there and the resales stay strong all the way down the board. I’d rather get an insane deal from a hungry dealer and turn a lower spec truck into what I really wanted. I won’t buy platinum again

Products Discussed in

To Top