1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

14 Tundra TSS. P0303 misfire, #3 compression issues

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by 68Bird, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:09 AM
    68Bird

68Bird [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TSS
    Hey Guys first time posting and I have researched but don't see anything quite like my issue completely!

I will run thru this step by step of what happen.

filling up with fuel (truck running) pulled away from pump and left idling (air on for dog) I returned to truck about 20 min. later and it was idling rough and check engine light flashing. I read codes and came up with P0303. not having much time to diagnose I just purchased a coil pack, sparkplug and replaced. reset computer and started, it ran smooth for about 30-45 sec. then the check engine light came back on and started running rough. I now decided to check the injectors, not having a pulse reader I pulled fuel rail and swapped #1 injector with #3. same problem when put back and started. I now thought I better check compression, here is where it gets weird. first time I pulled compression test #3 read 40..... I put it back together and checked compression in #1 and got 168. I decided to retest #3 a few times to make sure of operator error.... next time before I checked compression I reset the computer, and compression was 165! I hit the release on comp. tester to make sure it read it correct and pressure would not rebuild!!! pulled comp. tester and tried again not resetting computer and I get no reading of compression?!?!?! started truck with cylinder open and get what seems like good intake and exhaust pushing and sucking thru spark plug hole BUT that's just a guess with my hand over the hole...

So I have had the truck towed to Toyota and after 1 day they have no answers yet?? I know im impatient but I like to understand everything completely! dealer also says they put a scope in cylinder and it looked good??

truck has 76000 miles on it. I have a lifetime engine warranty but am worried this may be a computer issue that would not be covered!

has anyone encountered anything like this??

2. Jun 25, 2019 at 9:54 AM
    Samoan Thor

Samoan Thor God is technically an alien

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Limited 2014 crewmax 4X4
    Kings F&R, no sway bars
    Following for more info, my 2014 is almost 73k miles trouble free, not an issue but hanging around to see the fix for your problem. I hope you can get it figured out and it’s not too expensive of a fix.

3. Jun 25, 2019 at 4:27 PM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    Broken ring(s) in #3? Compression in a normal cylinder doesn't vary wildly like that.

If it's the rings, everything may look normal using a borescope through the sparkplug hole. Oil squirted into the cylinder for the compression test could be revealing.

14burrito likes this.
  4. Jun 26, 2019 at 4:29 AM
    68Bird

68Bird [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TSS
    So I stopped by and talked with the tech working on it and they think they have narrowed it down to the ECU not providing a pulse to the #3 injector.

he says compression is good SO maybe I didn't get a good reading in the Auto Zone parking lot with rented gauge LOL. At least the ECU is warrantied for 8yrs or 80K

5. Mar 24, 2021 at 3:39 PM
    Langdontd

Langdontd New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 tundra
    None
    I'm having the exact experience with my 2010. A few more miles @ 240000

I'm very curious what they come up with, my next move is the shop. I was leaning towards an ecu issue. the previous owner deleted the egr. I'm assuming to bypass the air injection pump instead of paying for the costly pump replacement. I was wondering if that would have anything to do with it. Idk...?

6. Mar 24, 2021 at 3:51 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    P0303
    Replaced coil and plug #3 = issue still in 3

Swapped inj between 1 and 3 = issue still in 3

Compression test value = low

Do I understand correctly?

As @JohnLakeman mentioned,
    Some oil in the cylinder + test = compression = rings

Products Discussed in

To Top