1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

110 V Outlet

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Wolvie, Oct 3, 2020.

1. Oct 3, 2020 at 8:08 AM
    Wolvie

Wolvie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Cab
    Nothing yet!
    What would be the best way to install a 110V outlet up from under head unit somewhere in dash on 2020 Tundra?

Thanks

Wolvie

2. Oct 3, 2020 at 7:09 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
  3. Oct 3, 2020 at 7:25 PM
    Trooper2

Trooper2 Premium Lone Star Member / SSEM #13

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Houston, TX (Suburban South)
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra 5.7 L Double Cab TRD 2WD
    TSS 20's with Cooper ATP ll's, N Fab 3 Step Nerf Bars,, Pioneer AVIC-8100NEX, Masters Tailgate Replacement Latch with Camera, 1" Maxtrac Shackles, LED Interiors/Brake/Reverse/Cargo/Fog Bulbs, Fumoto Drain Valve, Toyota Aluminium Oil Filter Housing, TRD Shift Knob, Courtesy Door Projector LEDs with Toyota Emblem, Console Tray and Lower Divider.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    SprinterAE86 likes this.
  4. Oct 3, 2020 at 7:50 PM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    I guess the first question is what are you trying to power and what are the watt requirements?

If you're trying to power a laptop or something similar a small inverter plugged into a 15A cigarette lighter will probably work unless it's some crazy gaming laptop (Check first to see if they have a 12v power adapter for your laptop ... many do and makes this really easy). Also the inverter type matters if you plan to use power sensitive electronics. In this case you'll need a pure sine wave inverter and I doubt the little ones that plug into a cigarette lighter are (probably modified sine wave).

5. Oct 3, 2020 at 8:02 PM
    Wolvie

Wolvie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Cab
    Nothing yet!
    I had two in my Rebel one in dash and one in back console, I used the dash one for plugging in my wife old apple Ipad that she refuses to give up! lol
    The one in the console in back I kept a sure wick plugged into that to keep truck smelling good, with my crew getting in and out all day sweating, dirty, etc. So I figured if I could find a cheap easy solution I would go that route. Be hell of a lot cheaper then buy another IPad for wife, when she loves the one she has...

But thank you all for your quick response..
    Wolvie

6. Oct 3, 2020 at 8:22 PM
    abomb60

abomb60 Maker of things

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra 1794 MGM
    For the iPad you can use USB and just get a 12v to USB adapter to use in one of the cig lighter sockets. I try to avoid powering DC stuff with AC adapters if at all possible due to the overhead of running the inverter and the inefficiency of the AC to DC conversion. However I run a bunch of stuff off solar so not an issue if you're just powering this stuff when the truck is running.

For the air freshener one of the inverter adapters Trooper2 posted should work. From a quick google search it looks like these use 2-4W of power max @ 120v and those adapters claim 150 watts of AC power.

7. Oct 4, 2020 at 4:06 PM
    Wolvie

Wolvie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra SR5 Crew Cab
    Nothing yet!
    Yea, I might just go that route with the USB plug. And do something else for the sure wick, like tape tree fresheners to my crew when they start to get in my truck..lol

But thank you all for your input...

To Top