1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

10 Tips For Driving in the Snow

Discussion in 'Recovery & Gear' started by jberry813, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Jan 24, 2017 at 9:47 AM
    Law323

Law323 it’s only weird if you make it weird

Member:
    First Name:
    Law
    Baton Rouge, La
    Vehicle:
    2012 4.6 L MGM DC
    Toytec BOSS suspension lift @ 3" (front) Toytec BOSS remote resi's (back) 1" Toytec block (rear) 275/70r18 Toyo AT2 Info system mod 3D MAXpider Kagu floor mats LED interior lights 50% ceramic tint front windows 35% ceramic tint windshield brow Bed mounted YETI bottle opener Paracord wrapped oh Sh!t bars 3" stubby antennae TRD sway bar Upcoming: LED backup lights OEM Backup camera Iron Cross Patriot step bars Trifold or roll up tonneau cover
    Sounds like one of those idiot bosses. You'd think he would learn his lesson after putting two in the ditch!! LOL

Takes guys like your dad to shut em up every time!!

GODZILLA and NewImprovedRon like this.
  2. Jan 24, 2017 at 9:50 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  3. Jan 24, 2017 at 9:53 AM
    TheBeast

TheBeast The Beach

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Gold ! great post. Heading to Mammoth tomorrow..hope I don't cross @jberry813 path...lol

GODZILLA and jberry813[OP] like this.
  4. Jan 24, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    jberry813

jberry813 [OP] The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    35x12.50x18 BFG KO2s
    Awesome AT tire that's snowflake rated

LOL. This was just a mild attempt at humor I figured everyone would appreciate in some manner.

5. Jan 24, 2017 at 10:38 AM
    PermaFrostTRD

PermaFrostTRD Tumescent Member

Member:
    Northern NY
    Vehicle:
    2019 CrewMax MGM Grocery Getter
    limited wannabe, suspension and tire improvements
    Love my KO2s

6. Jan 24, 2017 at 10:44 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I wuss out and have two sets of wheels and tires, during the winter I don't mess around and just run studded snows.:hattip:

GODZILLA likes this.
  7. Jan 24, 2017 at 11:08 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    My Dad still has a set of studded tires he used when he was still working. They're illegal in Texas, but when he had to run them, the police were too busy to check to see why he could go and they couldn't.

Need to know stuff and 2cID like this.
  8. Jan 24, 2017 at 11:27 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    In Texas I can understand that they're illegal, here they're okay 365. Some states they're restricted to certain months.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  9. Jan 24, 2017 at 11:32 AM
    dragos28

dragos28 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dragos
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    nothing much
    What's this snow stuff you speak of?
    we dont get much of that round here....

CaptTyler and NewImprovedRon like this.
  10. Jan 24, 2017 at 11:45 AM
    dragos28

dragos28 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dragos
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    nothing much
    a couple of observations.
    A 4x4 is not 4wd. a 4X4 is really a 1x1 unless you have lockers. and a 2wd is really 1wd. unless you have lockers.

This past new years we rented a cabin up in lake tahoe like we do most years. and the roads were covered in snow and ice.
    my 2wd (rear arb locker) with snow chains and RTT rack + all the crap we carried did a really good job getting me up the mountain and to our cabin.
    however on the last day before we were leaving, they plowed the streets and right at the end of our street there was a sharp right turn in a down hill curve. really nasty and everytime i went up or down it it was a challenge.
    well this last time it was straight ice. i crawled down it as slow as i could and my truck just went off on its own, there was not stopping or turning it.
    there was a straight drop off into a forest at the end of the road but how they plowed it, they made an embankment. luckily my truck stopped into that. wife was screaming in terror, my kids were screaming cuz it was fun. lol

everyone else we were with were fwd or 4x4 had no problems. several were in mini vans or regular SUVs...
    next truck will be a 4x4...

11. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:02 PM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Ya; ice, lockers and off camber lines combine for high pucker factor.

12. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:39 PM
    Krazie Sj

Krazie Sj Resident Jackass

Member:
    First Name:
    Power Serge
    LV-426 (Acheron)
    Vehicle:
    07 Mall Crawler Extordinare
    All Pro Long Travel with Walker Evan Coil Overs, All Pro Expedition Leaves with Walker Evan Resi Shocks, All Pro IFS, transmission and E-Locker skid plates/guards, ARB Bumper with Kragen LED flood lights, 10,000lb SuperWinch, All Pro Rear Bumper, All Pro Sliders, Custom RTT Rack with Roto Pack, ARB Simpson RTT, Bed Tray. 285x75R16 Mickey Thompson MTZs and 285x75R16 Yokohama Geolander it g072. Airaid Short ram intake, Intake manifold spacer, Borla Cat back Exhaust.
    Here's what you do instead. The ABS is actually a great help in the regard it's telling you you're slipping. Whereas when you don't have ABS sometimes you don't realize it before it's too late. ABS kicking in? Off the brake and reapply to threshold. Threshold braking is where you're applying maximum braking before the tires lock up and slip. The only time you're going to have a better time braking with ABS on is on deep snow and off road where you can get a good solid buildup of snow/gravel/dirt to act as a berm for your tires. Otherwise keep the ABS on and leave more distance for braking/or get better tires.

Drive.jpg

My credentials? Primary Care Paramedic in Alberta Canada. The above is a picture of my partner and I driving (Obviously) the wrong way down the highway. Why? Cause the 30 car accident we were tasked to blocked the route going south. So we had to bypass and access it by heading north. It was a very eerie drive.
    So when they shut down the highways due to bad weather, my ass is the one out there pulling you from the ditch. (So I know a thing or two about bad weather driving.)

Other than that the first post was bang on. Only thing I would add is if you live where snow frequently flies in winter, buy winter tires. They'll pay for themselves (Instead of wearing your all seasons in winter you'll wear your winters, so essentially you're buying your second set of tires early, but for a good purpose.)

Oh, and should you find yourself in the ditch...STAY IN YOUR GODDAMN VEHICLE!
    I can't tell you how many people get killed because they exited their vehicle and got creamed by the next car/truck that hit the same patch of ice and is coming in hot to the ditch where they were. And instead of being inside a nice metal box with safety restraints and airbags, it's just their meat bag carcass vs two plastic bumpers bolted to 2250-5000lbs of metal. And the metal always wins. And I really hate looking for body parts in 2 feet of snow. Don't make me look for body parts in 2 feet of snow. Stay in your vehicle.

jpod, KMG, Ostrich and 11 others like this.
  13. Jan 24, 2017 at 12:53 PM
    Crewmax Chris

Crewmax Chris Paper Airplane Enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Lewiston, ME
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 DoubleCab
    Well said! Been driving in snow my whole life up here in Maine. Yet, every single year several people forget how it's done during the first storm. I am out in the middle of the storms plowing. So I see it all. A 4x4 is great but it doesn't help you stop. That's the hardest part of winter driving. The NICE thing about ABS is that you can usually still steer. That was the point. If you don't know what you're doing it doesn't matter if you have a 4x4. Chances are you'll end up on your roof if you don't take it slow and learn. My first truck was a 2wd short bed Ford Ranger. Had it in the ice storm of 98. Had studded rears, a lot of sand bags and was on the fire department running around like a crazy person. I got stuck once. But I learned what a rear wheel drive does in the snow (which came in handy later during my law enforcement career). I love to drive in the snow. Hate to drive on ice. We get our fair share of both here on the coast. Dealing with ice right now actually. Take your time. No need to rush. Play follow the leader on the highways and be safe.

14. Jan 24, 2017 at 1:42 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Great write up. And I can attest to rule#9. Although we get very little snow, most of our locals cannot drive in the snow for shit. 90% of people here do not clear their car or truck, especially the roof.

15. Jan 27, 2017 at 11:10 PM
    Midnighttaco08

Midnighttaco08 High Quality H2O Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Gilbert, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD OR 4x4 2008 Indigo Ink Tacoma TRDOR
    None yet!
    :spy:

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Couldn't stop laughing and picturing the dipshits in range rovers and BMW X SUVs that's are all over!!!

:amen:

GODZILLA and dragos28 like this.
  16. Feb 9, 2017 at 2:26 PM
    Bob

Bob Member Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma PreRunner Black
  17. Feb 9, 2017 at 6:39 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    I saw some interesting incidents in Anchorage during the record winter I was there in 2011. By spring it seemed most out of state cars (mostly with military tags) had front and rear bumper damage. Literally. Especially the cars with Flori-Duh tags. :homer:

Crewmax Chris likes this.
  18. Oct 19, 2018 at 8:39 PM
    Mithrandir

Mithrandir New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    mike
    Vehicle:
    2018 4x4 Tundra Color of Victorville Dirt
    None yet
    You are Channeling my dad!!!

;)

19. Oct 19, 2018 at 8:40 PM
    jberry813

jberry813 [OP] The Mad Scientist Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Lake Tahoe
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra Platinum, 2012 Tacoma, 2007 T4R
    Metric shit ton of parts
    He sounds like someone I should buy a beer.

20. Oct 28, 2019 at 4:04 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    I knew I liked you. lol.

I live in Wyoming, and I see all the stuff you mention. One thing I would add as the first and most important step: If the weather is worse than you are used to or comfortable with, do you really HAVE to make the trip? Can it wait a few hours for the weather to clear, or until tomorrow? Not driving in shit weather is always an option.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  21. Oct 28, 2019 at 4:18 AM
    Rex Kramer

Rex Kramer Vinyl Spinner

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2002 4.7L RCLB 4X4 2007 5.7L RCSB 4X2
    Another tip: Avoid Atlanta if there is the slightest chance of snow and ice.

snow-jam-14.png

NewImprovedRon and Black Wolf like this.
  22. Oct 28, 2019 at 5:26 AM
    aRabidLunatic

aRabidLunatic Professional Hobo

Member:
    Central Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra SR5 Black
    And rain

23. Oct 28, 2019 at 5:37 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
    Tip #1 - Drive responsibly
    Tip # 2 - Pay the frick attention

24. Oct 28, 2019 at 5:52 AM
    MAGDADDY

MAGDADDY TTC #280

Member:
    First Name:
    JON
    Houston TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Platinum CM MGM
    Leer 100XL, Bedrug, Go Rhino running boards, LED int/ext lighting, Bilstein 6112/5100 1/2”shims up front, Coachbuilder +3 shackles, CB drop, TRD front/rear sway bar, 275/65/20 Michelin LTX M/S 2, sequoia painted mirror cap/door handles, Rago Fab low pro ditch brackets, Baja Designs S2 sports ditch lights. Baja Designs S2 sport rear flush mount pod
    Seriously excellent post! Wife and I make our way up to the mountains often and way before our first trip I made sure I was well educated on driving conditions. I pack a 65q container of roadside gear should anything ever happen, luckily I’ve not had to use all of it but the piece of mind knowing I have it is nice. And you’re right, dipshits are everywhere! Thanks for this info!

25. Nov 15, 2019 at 9:24 AM
    Badger Co-Op

Badger Co-Op Blood sausage, cheese, and lutefisk; hit me!

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    WISCO
    Wisconsin. Farms. It's where Grandpa put us on the tractor and in the truck at about 10 years old. Why? Because there's almost nothing around to damage that cannot be fixed with a wrench or hammer.

Find a big empty parking lot near the first snow, every year, and see how your car/truck handles and reacts to emergency braking, turning while emergency braking, wheel spin on acceleration. How it feels, what those distances are, re-acclimate that muscle memory for time/distances/feel. Please, put down that damn phone. :cheers:

GODZILLA likes this.
  26. Dec 10, 2019 at 7:59 AM
    tglyder

tglyder New Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010
    Pro tip:
    Every winter, I pick up a bag of the cheapest cat litter without the clumping or blue stuff and keep it in the truck. If I have to, I throw a little down behind the tires then back up. Then I throw more litter down in front of the tires and off into the direction I'm going, then roll on smoothly. I actually help more people then anything. End of the season, I give the rest of the litter to someone with a cat.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  27. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:17 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    pfft. outta my way fools.

thedoodab1des, omgboost, Sas and 4 others like this.
  28. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    smslavin

smslavin Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    I25 traffic navigation...

Sas, T-Rex266, NewImprovedRon and 3 others like this.
  29. Dec 10, 2019 at 9:12 AM
    Paul B

Paul B New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cavalry Blue Tundra TRD Offroad
    Tires tires tires. Snow tires.

Up here in Buffalo we get quite a bit of snow. People here still don’t get it. It’s all about tires.

Few years back my wife had a tiny little Mazda2 . ( See: Yaris. ) We put snow tires on it and it ripped in the snow. No issues ever. 2100lb FWD car. I do remember passing a coworker in his Tundra on the way to work. He was so pissed. Haha

No matter what wheels drive the vehicle, most important aspect(s) is driving according to conditions and proper TIRES.

Alaska and GODZILLA like this.
  30. Dec 10, 2019 at 10:25 AM
    Alaska

Alaska New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD 4x4 ~Quicksand~
    Baja Designs Squadron WC fogs
    You should change the subject of this forum post to '10 things you'll remember when you're wrecked in a snow ditch wearing New Balance shoes and a Tommy Bahama shirt.'

I dig the content, although it was more of a 'Mike Babcock' delivery in the initial post... but I fully agree. Drive according to the conditions, drive defensively, prepare for safety, and more importantly don't underestimate snowy/icy road conditions, especially when you are running studded/winter/snow chains. My point being that you can't go out and drop $1400+ on the best snow tire and expect to drive 10 mph over the speed limit ... although inevitably some people have yet to figure this out...

tglyder likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top