1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

08 folding mirror stops in the wrong spot

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Danimal, Jan 21, 2019.

1. Jan 21, 2019 at 3:00 PM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    Ever since a small impact my right mirror stops just 1/8" to far out. I have disassembled the mirror as far as most would be willing to do. There is no visible damage. I already replaced the chrome cover years ago when this happened.
    I have the ability to cut the clip that holds the main spring in place and re-compress that spring with a valve spring compressor to reassemble.
    However before I do this:
    1. Is that use one time clip available as no exploded diagram shows it as a separate part.
    2. Is it possible to reset the stop positing of the folding mirror electronically?
    Thanks
    Dan
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jan 22, 2019 at 11:42 AM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    The clip is called a 19mm ID Internal Tooth Starlock Washer.
    Toyota will not sell it to you. Instead they asked me for $800 for a new mirror.
    So far no luck finding it aftermarket.
    I tried working it off to reuse and it broke.
    Now that the mirror hing is open: There is a spring loaded stop pin. it is held center by a plastic plate that is also part of the motor.
    The plastic is split and the inner pot metal portion looks a little oval.
    If I can find the right piece of copper or other tubing to make a sleeve, its fixed for a few dollars. also need to find a starlock which seems near impossible in that size.
    There is another way.
    I will post how if I find a fix within a couple days. Otherwise it looks like aftermarket or somebody's take off

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  3. Jan 23, 2019 at 8:00 AM
    craigerman

craigerman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    2007 Silver Tundra CrewMax Limited
    3" lift, matching topper
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jan 23, 2019 at 9:10 AM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    I have found an exact match aftermarket, $129 on e-bay $140 from the same guy on Amazon. Being I get faster shipping and better return policy on amazon I would choose them. It's $800 from the dealer.
    I have been looking around for a used or take off. I can swap wiring to fit my in mirror turn signal
    However I pride my self on being able to fix just about anything, rather than being the parts replace'r that manufacturers are trying to force onto everybody.
    I have it completely disassembled. All I need is the plastic face-plate on the folding motor and the starlock clip., The plate and starlock are likely still on your old mirror as they are near impossible to dissemble.
    I have a spring compressor and the wiring is swap-able.
    You would not happen to have those from your broken mirror?
    If so I could cut the post the starlock is on and than push it forward to remove without breaking. Once this is done the inner face plate for the folding motor becomes accessible.
    Optionally I plan to make a bushing for the stop pin and either locate a starlock or thread the top of the post and fit a flat nut.
    May or may not work but if it does, it will be stronger than the original and only cost a few dollars.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Jan 23, 2019 at 9:19 AM
    craigerman

craigerman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, matching topper
    I will need to take a look at my original. Several of the screws holding it together were corroded/rusty, so I'm not sure I could even get it to the point of being able to take off the face-plate and starlock. Then there would be the issue of being able to get the starlock off without breaking it. I'll take a look tonight. But it sounds like you have a solid plan in place. Were you able to fix the alignment? I know being off by that little wouldn't bug a lot of people, but I totally understand why it bothered you. Mine is off just a hair on my driver's side mirror (I replaced the passenger side), and it bugs me. My wife thinks I'm nuts.

6. Jan 23, 2019 at 9:50 AM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
  7. Jan 23, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    Hi Craig, Rust does not damage plastic parts. It may however ruin the starlock.
    if you are willing to send it to me, send it whole or without any outer housings, the mirror and the mirror pitch motor. All I need is the piece with starlock still installed as you see in the top photo. I will pay shipping and handling.
    when here I will cut it or drill it apart. Sacrificing the housing too retrieve the pieces I need whole.

8. Jan 23, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    Hi Craig.
    Don't spend to much time looking for that mirror yet. I believe I found a fix with less than $5 in generic parts at my local ace hardware store.

9. Jan 23, 2019 at 1:10 PM
    craigerman

craigerman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Craig
    Vehicle:
    3" lift, matching topper
    OK, let me know how it goes.

10. Jan 23, 2019 at 4:29 PM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    I will start with an image of the folding motor housing issue and pin/stop damage.
    motor.jpg
    So I was able to find a piece of 5/15 X 1" aluminum rod with inner threads.
    part.jpg
    Next check it up and drill through dead center with 0.200" drill bit.
    drill.200.jpg
    Than swap to 1/4" end mill and drill 1/2 way through with flat tip.
    mill.25.jpg
    Next cut top until the stop pin stops/sticks out at 0.160"
    cut to .16.jpg
    Next drill out the housing to the old inner bottom travel stop or about 0.40" deep.
    Use 2 bits both 0.310" first a pointed than a flat tip.
    drillto0.310.jpg
    Next cut the bottom of the bushing. It needs to have a few thousands clearance at the bottom
    but it needs to stick out the top just as thick as the plastic face plate
    cutbottom.jpg
    Next gather the pin, spring and housing. Also get a socket to press
    tap on and a small hammer + a piece of wood.
    heathousing1.jpg
    When the housing is hot and the bushing is cold: Insert spring in housing and pin in bushing
    and press together. The bushing should stick up = to the thickness of the plastic cover.
    The pin at 0.160 above that.
    press.jpg
    As you can see mine is not perfect but the pin/stop now is
    aligned by metal and no longer relies on the plastic bushing.
    I will cut out the plastic bushing when i assemble later.
    More tomorrow to include the assembly as well as the
    starlock mod

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 23, 2019
  11. Jan 24, 2019 at 8:28 AM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Have you looked for a 3/4" starlock washer? To remove them I have had luck using a pick like tool and pull up on each of the stars one at a time to release them going around in a circle. It's slow but usually works.

12. Jan 24, 2019 at 2:52 PM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    I tried, mine broke.

i could not find a 19mm starlock anywhere,
    I have a mod/fix. I will post later tonight

13. Jan 24, 2019 at 4:38 PM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    I reassembled the folding motor as seen in last nights post.
    1.jpg
    Next a 5/8 inch washer is closest to the starlock size. Drill it out to 19mm.
    2.jpg
    File the spring support until the 19mm washer fits tight, slide/tap washer into
    position and use it to guide a hacksaw blade. Cut by hand very slowly and just deep
    enough for a c-clip. Next remove washer and hand finish fitting to the e-clip to increase
    width of cut. Keep the top edge of the e-clip flat and true. the bottom of the groove
    can have errors.
    3.jpg
    Re-assemble the two housings using a spring compressor.
    6.jpg
    That by the way takes a lot of finesse as the spring compressor does not fit or have the
    correct travel.
    7.jpg
    When you have the assembly as seen above you will need to grind off just enough
    of the washer to get the outer housing past it. Optionally if you have a mill you could
    cut the washer correctly before installing it.
    9.jpg
    so when done i tested operation. This mirror works really well. The fit and alignment is perfect.
    For those of you who seek new truck perfection, there is a device to eliminate wind noise in the mirror.
    I will address this from the outside of the mirror at a latter date. There is also likely a way to service
    and lube the mirror and folding motor while installed. This would likely fix failing folding mirrors and
    certainly extend their life as a maintenance item. If I come up with the service, I will publish it.

If you are a skilled DIY type, I hope the above helps.
    If it is to much, see below.

The above repair and any disassembly requiring removal of the starlock is likely past what most
    would be willing or able to do at home. Since I no longer need employment, I have lots of time on my hands.
    I see a hobby occupation in fixing these mirrors so if you want me to fix yours it's $5 in parts + shipping.
    The purpose is R&D. There is no guarantee I can fix your mirror or that I will not break it trying.
    However if you want to ship it to me, I will take a look at it and let you know what I think.
    I mean you have to replace it anyway right?
    So if it is not fixable or it breaks, it will be stripped for any usable parts and used to fix the next one.
    Optionally you can pay me the $5 and return shipping to get it back.
    Proto type # 1 came out well. Each one I fix will be better than the last as tooling and experience increase.
    Please contact me by private message if you want me to try and fix your mirror.
    That includes sticky folding or week folding motors as well as faulty stop position.
    Real nasty and smashed or visibly broken are likely not repairable.
    thanks for looking.
    Dan

14. Oct 7, 2020 at 3:57 PM
    Drewb5

Drewb5 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7
    I have a 2008 Toyota Tundra Limited, the folding motor went out on my mirror, any idea on where to find a replacement, or should I just go ahead and buy a new mirror. I’ve already taken it apart down to what you have in the pictures.

15. Mar 12, 2022 at 9:18 AM
    Danimal

Danimal [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2008 tundra limited
    2022 Update. Mirror still works. I am way too busy to do this fix for others.
    If you do not have the ability to fix it, buy the brand X on Amazon. Use a prime account so you can return it. They are Chinese knock off's

Products Discussed in

To Top