1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

04 Tundra Remote Start Installation

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Fireball64, Feb 21, 2015.

1. Feb 21, 2015 at 7:34 AM
    Fireball64

Fireball64 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2004 Tundra SR5 Flareside
    I am preparing to install a Viper 5806V Remote Start system on my 2004 Tundra but I do not know for sure if I need a bypass module or not. I believe all I have is a keyless entry system without a transponder key. I have looked at Xpresskit.com and see that an XK01 is recommended for the 04 but I would like some advice from someone that has experience with this. I am also in need of an installation manual for the 5806, I have the owner's guide but it is not the same. Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

2. Feb 21, 2015 at 10:47 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    If you dont have a transponder key you dont need anything but the remote start... If you have a transponder key you must use pkall if i remember right to bypass the transponder... If you have a factory alarm i would disable it IMO..

Check out the12volt.com for advice also...

I have a 5904v in both my tundra and tacoma with Gps remote start via phone LOVE it..

3. Feb 21, 2015 at 5:13 PM
    Fireball64

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you for the info. I went to Best Buy today to see what they would tell me. I spoke to their installer and he said that even though I don't have a transponder key the system requires a bypass module. The XpressKit PKALL and the XK01 will both work but getting an installation manual for the 5806 seems to be a challenge so far. If anyone has any info in that area I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again Mike, did you install your remote starts or did you have them installed?

4. Feb 21, 2015 at 6:31 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    Direct doesnt give out install manual at all.. What they do is they give you a hint.. Inside the box is a wiring diagram to the brain and what each wire does... You need to get the wiring diagram for your truck to match it up and there you go.. Xpress kits all those you can install it yourself use google alot in wiring diagrams and how to upgrade the firmware so it will work...

If you dont have any advance knowledge of wiring, wiring diagrams, relays, grounds,( ecm power), bypass modules, by all means DONT and i mean DONT install it... You can easy burn your truck up.... cost you more money then letting the pros do it...

I been doing 12v for over 24 years now...

Tacoma manual transmission and nothing has been bypassed so it works just like factory... ( still have to push the clutch in if remote start is not in control) 6 hour install
    Tundra.. basic install nothing to hard on it either ( for me anyway) ... mine is a 2003 tundra... 6 hour install
    Im picky in my wiring why it takes me longer but it nice and neat so if i have a problem im not looking at a birds nest..
    Both systems have been online two years now and not once have they let me down or have i had a problem... ( it just works)

Only down side of the direct line i found is you need to buy there programmer (bitwriter) for the brain (faster and easier) glad i have mine saved me half a hour each on my trucks... .. Makes the install so easy in set up (after all wiring is done and has power to the brain)..

5. Feb 22, 2015 at 6:00 AM
    Fireball64

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Wow, that is great info. You just confirmed what I had been suspecting. I have actually been looking at the bitwriter which can be purchased from Newegg, eBay, Amazon and a few other places. I agree that this is not something to be taken on without prior electrical experience. I have been an industrial process control electrician for quite a few years so I feel comfortable with this. I do have the complete wiring schematic for my truck and will spend some time familiarizing myself with the interconnect of the Viper & Xpresskit. I haven't seen anything on using a bypass module for an 03 Tundra. Did you need one? What year is the Tacoma and did you have to use a bypass on it? If you did was there a data wire that had to be spliced into? Thanks again for your help!

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Feb 22, 2015 at 7:50 AM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    On mine i was lucky the 03 didnt need a bypass kit i was able to skip that step of the install, i think 04 when toyota resigned for transponders in the tundra. Mine did have a keyless entry but i disabled that.

Wiring is not that hard you are just cutting and tapping into the main harness... Always use a hood pin NEVER SKIP IT.... its for safety.. (surprises how many people skip that step and its illegal without out... Dont forget to put the sticker under the hood when done warning people (techs) of a remote start...)

Planning is key in the remote start where to put everything.. 95% of your work is in the kick panel or under the steering wheel... other 5% under the hood...

I will give you a piece of advice.. when you drop the lower panel and kick panel out do yourself a big favor remove the dash cluster you will find out later why i said that....

FYI hook up the tach..no matter what.. it will save your starter and your engine...

If you see yellow STAY AWAY..... FYI...

Products Discussed in

To Top