1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

03 Tundra Overheating (Possible Head Gasket Issue?)

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Roninflorida, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Oct 13, 2020 at 12:15 AM
    Roninflorida

Roninflorida [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra
    Please help! I'm trying to narrow down what the problem is with my 03 Tundra. It's not exactly a spring chicken anymore, the truck has 256K miles on it. I bought it about 7 years ago with 130K for a great deal and have had to do very little other than change oil/tires/brakes. The engine still purrs like a kitten, the power is great, it sounds healthy, but it gradually overheats. Here is everything that has happened so far. About 2 weeks ago, the top radiator hose blew a small split and sprayed coolant all over the engine, but since the truck is old I figured the hose might have just been bad and replaced it. It ran fine for two days and then started to overheat. It gets up to operating temperature, stays there for about 3-5 minutes of driving and then gradually begins to climb (over a period of 3-5 minutes,) until it's in the red. The heater blows either cold air, or mildly warm air while this is happening. If I stop and park when it starts to get hot and I rev the engine to about 3K+ rpms, it will cool back down a little bit, but this does not always work, and only works temperarily. I only figured out the engine reving trick on accident getting it home from work when this all started. It seemed to me that there was a blockage or water wasn't circulating, but I'm starting to worry it's the head gasket because I don't know what else it could be. Here's everything I've done so far in chronological order:

1. Chemical combustion leak detector test (came up negative, dye remained blue)
    2. Replaced the thermostat (no change)
    3. Burped the cooling system (no change)
    4. Backflushed the heater coil (no change)
    5. Replaced the water pump (no change) (pic related)
    6. Backflushed the radiator (no change)
    7. Burped the cooling system again (no change)
    8. Bypassed the heater coil with a brass fitting (no change)

At this point I started to suspect head gasket problems so I rented a compression tester. Here is what came up:
    Bay 1 (Driver's side):
    (Front to back)
    Port 1: 180
    Port 2: 145
    Port 3: 180
    Port 4: 180

Bay 2 (Passenger):
    (Front to back)
    Port 1: 170
    Port 2: 170
    Port 3: 150
    Port 4: 180

These are all within spec, but since the two problem chambers are so far off from the others I assume there is a problem there, but the chemical leak test (sign of cracked block,) came back negative. That was the first thing I tried so I wasn't wasting my time with the cooling system on a cracked block. I also don't have any other symptoms of a blown head gasket or a cracked block like poor performance or white smoke from the exhaust. The only other thing I can think to try is to replace the radiator, but It doesn't seem like the radiator to me because the overheating has been so consistent that I can tell you the exact intersection it will start to overheat at from my house. I've already put so much energy and money into this and I'm getting exhausted. Has anybody experienced these symptoms and found a solution? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
    -Ron

20201010_020307.jpg

2. Oct 13, 2020 at 5:28 AM
    Professional Hand Model

Professional Hand Model A.K.A ‘Golden Hands’

Member:
    First Name:
    Fred
    ‘Somewhere’... a State of Mind
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 4WD 4.7L AC Silver Metallica
    Hand Protectors
    Sounds like you’ve ticked a lot of boxes on the trouble shooting side. I can’t offer any solutions, but can tell you that I just swapped out a seemingly fine NAPA radiator with a new Denso radiator ($150) during a Timing Belt change.

I had monitored the temps prior and the old radiator would run around 195-200°. I had no problems. Put the new one in and she is cooler in the 183-185° range. I also performed a Prestone flush before new install even though my system was pretty clean. The flush did have some off color, but nothing major.

I remember a guy talking about a similar overheat problem as yours and he swapped in a new radiator after chasing gremlins. It solved his issue. He cut the old one up and found blockages in the middle which I suppose was causing the splitting top hose back pressure.

Hope his helps your trouble shooting.

3. Oct 13, 2020 at 5:40 AM
    N84434

N84434 In the Frozen Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Milwaukee WI.
    Vehicle:
    2001 Limited TRD
    I agree with PHM. If it were me, I would swap the radiator With a new one and while it's out, remove the thermostat and make sure it's working by dropping it in boiling water.

And welcome to the club!

4. Oct 13, 2020 at 11:14 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's car parts in a dishwasher

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    Yup, I'm betting the radiator is blocked too. Especially if it's factory.

Roninflorida[OP] likes this.
  5. Oct 13, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Here is what the service manual says on the compression test. It seems like it failed the compression test based on the differences between cylinders. I'm no expert, but I'm not sure how a radiator would fix that but since it's 17 years old it's probably a good idea to replace it.

Maybe @empty_lord has some advice.

upload_2020-10-13_14-40-31.jpg

6. Oct 13, 2020 at 11:45 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    The ones that are a fair bit lower would indicate a possible headgasket leak between the coolant jacket and combustion chamber. Exhaust gas testing for the coolant would let you know of combustion is getting into the cooling system. This can lead to air pockets and overheating

(sorry at work, missed that you did that test already)

7. Oct 13, 2020 at 8:21 PM
    KNABORES

KNABORES Sarcasm incoming

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited TRD AC 4X4 Thunder Grey 270k miles. 2019 Limited TRD CM 4x4 Cement Grey 75k miles
    2000: Bilstein 5100's 16x8 589's with 265/75/16 and 1.25" spacers Flowmaster 50 series over the axle dump Pioneer touchscreen with backup camera Full interior and dash LED conversion Trailer brake controller with 7 pin Bedliner coat bumpers & trim ARE topper 2019: ARE topper with full Bedrug kit and Vortex rack TRD shifter 1.25" wheel spacers (I like to live dangerously) Red tow hooks for that +15 grip bonus
    The heater not blowing hot air when the engine is overheating is a sign that something is not circulating properly. The hose that blew out also signals too much pressure in the system, either from overheating or from a blockage in the system. Radiator is still suspect. Airlock of the system is also possible despite the burping of the system several times. They can be stubborn to get all the air purged out.

8. Oct 13, 2020 at 8:29 PM
    Roninflorida

Roninflorida [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Vehicle:
    03 Tundra
    Thank you for the responses! I'm going to order a new radiator and keep my fingers crossed that it fixes the problem. If not we'll try running a head gasket treatment and see what happens. I will post updates on my progress.

9. Oct 26, 2020 at 11:28 PM
    Toyoda Tundra

Toyoda Tundra Boxing and Tundras

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2WD 2004 AC Tundra. V8 strong
    Have you tried replacing the radiator cap? If not, then try a new OEM radiator cap. Make sure is the correct one for your Truck.

Tundra2 likes this.
  10. Dec 7, 2023 at 4:48 PM
    kendrick

kendrick New Member

Member:
    Did the radiator replacement fix the overheating problem?

11. Dec 7, 2023 at 6:01 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Our private little trip to hell

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    I highly doubt it. But improperly filling your radiator, not burping it properly can lead to overheating. Along with a plethora of other things; like replacing the thermostat and not clocking it properly.

Chances are this guy isn't responding to you. As is typical around here, people are only here for quick advice and bounce once their problem is solved, usually without saying jack shit here which could really help the next person, like you.

upload_2023-12-7_21-0-33.png

bmf4069, TX-TRD1stGEN and KNABORES like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top