1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

“Bump” after 1st to 2nd shift

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by sja17, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Mar 7, 2022 at 5:45 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    If it's the abs you can replicate it regardless of engine temperature. It will happen at 6mph when you go into drive the first time after turning on the truck. You can try it.

2. May 10, 2022 at 8:05 PM
    Door Ding

Door Ding New Member

Member:
    It’s not the ABS or the driveshaft. It’s a transmission issues and it only get worse with mileage.

Mine has has this issue for 150k miles and it’s REALLY annoying. If you feather the throttle just right it will shift smoothly. I’m at 248k miles now with two complete fluid exchanges with WS fluid.

Anything else and you get the jolt during the 1-2 shift. Forget about using tow haul… that shakes the truck. I’m leaning towards a valve body/solenoid issue.

I have the hard shift into 2nd and occasional slipping into 5th if I shift up manually. If I leave it in d and it shifts into 5th it seems fine. No codes.

sometimes when I slow down from getting off of the highway or in traffic when the transmission is in fourth gear I get a thump almost like the transmission doesn’t disengage the torque converter properly or in time.

Anyone else experience any of these other symptoms?

nmichtundra likes this.
  3. May 11, 2022 at 6:45 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    I think you are right with the solenoid issue. My wifes 2011 matrix has a similar issue that comes and goes. It will shift hard from 1 to 2 on occasion, and sometimes its worse than other times and even sometimes it will throw a CEL and it will go away randomly. It hasnt come on since I did a tranny fluid drain and fill. I asked a tranny mechanic friend about it and he said that most likely it was some kind of debris that was floating around in the pan that would lodge in a solenoid or something and come loose again at times. Car has 200k miles and has been trouble free for the most part.

4. Aug 31, 2022 at 8:44 PM
    El_Sharky_Gee

El_Sharky_Gee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Christian
    Vehicle:
    2017 tundra sr
    Any updates on this at all? My truck jolts from 1st to second gear also. Could never figure it out. It’s worse whenever the truck is cold and gradually fades as it warms up. Never happens while turning. It’s the oddest thing. Would love to figure this out. I have a 2017 sr double cab

nmichtundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top