1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shimmy - tire noise

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by tysonjunior, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Apr 24, 2024 at 8:21 AM
    tysonjunior

tysonjunior [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM
    Howdy,
    I have a steering wheel shimmy above 60. I had the tires rebalanced and increased the pressure and its mostly gone away, mostly. I still have an increased tire noise as the BFG Kos have gotten about 25k miles on them. I have 305 65 18s at 35lbs. 3.5 in coilovers. Anyone dealt with something similar?

2. Apr 24, 2024 at 8:27 AM
    Totmacher

Totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    mesquite Tundra or blue 4Runner
    Some
    Very common on 4Runners, especially with KO2. I dealt with it on my 4Runner. Was common enough that local shop i used discouraged people from buying KO2 for 4Runners.
    It's likely still tire balance. There is a sweet spot for some trucks to get balance just right. Balance is a bit like alignments as far as shop techs go. Green light on machine is good to them but doesn't mean it is actually "good".

3. Apr 24, 2024 at 8:35 AM
    frichco228

frichco228 Valued Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Frank
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Crewmax 4WD, TRD Offroad
    Eibach Pro Truck Stage 2 suspension, HD RAS, 285/75-18 Nokian Outpost AT, LoPro bed cover, TRD rear sway bar, DD 10 inch exhaust, and various other goodies
    If you dont have worn steering or suspension components that need attention then the cause is still likely wheel balance. BFG is almost always a problem to balance. And if you have not had the vehicle's front end aligned in the last year, you may need it. Toyotas are sensitive to both alignment and wheel balance and what you describe is the symptom of one of those being off.

4. Apr 24, 2024 at 9:03 AM
    Tbrandt

Tbrandt I read it on an internet forum, it must be true.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tristan
    Kansas City
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 DC TRD Off-Road
    Kenwood DMX907S + Maestro iDatalink RR2 Kenwood DRV-N520 dash cam Kicker Door Speakers TRD rear sway bar Firestone airbags + Daystar cradles Setrab oil cooler, OEM thermostat and hard lines Century High-C topper Bedrug Helmholtz resonator on stock exhaust Sound deadened + insulated cab Platinum 20s, hwy tires Viair 400P
    I mount and balance my tires myself. You probably have a tire that is out of round. I can balance a tire that is 3/8" out of round up/down or left/right on the tread and have it read perfect on the machine, but it's still going to shimmy worse and worse the faster you go.

Your tire techs aren't going to tell you this. You can sure as hell see an out of round tire on the balance machine, but it'll still show balanced on the machine readout with enough wheel weights.

5. Apr 25, 2024 at 7:52 AM
    tysonjunior

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM
    Thanks for the responses. I have about 20-22k on the KOs. Should I sell them and get new tires? Anyone of the Toyo, Nitto, Falken that seem better over the other? They are all roughly the same price. If I keep this truck another 4-5 years I don't want to live with it. My alignment is fresh.

6. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:11 AM
    NoRcptn

NoRcptn Better than mediocre poster

Member:
    NorCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 Platinum
    GFC, Dobinsons IMS, RW's 285/75/17
    I basically had the same issue on my old Falkens/Method setup. Road force balance, rebalance, alignment, etc. Finally just bought Toyo ATIII and it's smooth now.

7. Apr 25, 2024 at 10:20 AM
    Totmacher

Totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    mesquite Tundra or blue 4Runner
    Some
    I eventually found a guy that balanced my KO2s to get rid of shimmy. Lasted over 10k miles before i noticed it slightly coming back.

Those finally wore out and i got Toyo RT Trail now. Sometimes in cooler temperatures there is a slight shimmy with these but goes away within 5 miles driving.

8. Apr 25, 2024 at 12:37 PM
    tysonjunior

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM
    Ok, a solid endorsement for the Toyos. All the Raptors and jeeps running around with KOs having these issues?

9. Apr 25, 2024 at 1:24 PM
    Winning8

Winning8 New Member

Member:
    Da Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM DC 4x4 SR5
    Mumba 18x9 ET 12, BFG KO2, FOX suspension, diamond back HD cover w/ rack, LED head & fog light bulb, TRD rear sway bar, timbren enhancement, RAS helper spring, avs auto shade, Carhartt front seat cover, bench seat cover
    I pump my KO2 to 40 psi cold anything lower will shimmy.

Products Discussed in

To Top