1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Little Problem Sequoia Cluster Swap into Tundra

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by dess, Mar 29, 2024.

1. Mar 29, 2024 at 5:13 PM
    dess

dess [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dess
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    Climate control upgrade Entertainment system upgrade 20" BFG wheels and tires 2" level kit
    My Speedo Cluster was too dull so I decided to change it a bit and bought a used one from a Sequoia from the same year. Everything was plug and play and it looks much better in my opinion. However, the power steering light is now on and I'm not sure if the Sequoia may have had an electric power steering and that's why or there is another reason. I installed the old one back and the light is not on so I'm assuming it's the cluster and not an actual problem. Would prefer to not look at any lights on my dash if possible
    I'd love some help.
    Thank you
    20240329_191300.jpg 20240329_191237.jpg

Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    Jeff_5_7 and PhotoNerd like this.
  2. Mar 29, 2024 at 6:26 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Sequoia has electric power steering and the cluster is not seeing it on your tundra, because it doesn’t have it, so the light is on.

To my knowledge nobody offers programming services for Toyota clusters, so reprogramming it to turn the light off is not really an option. If it was maybe a shot at putting the tundra firmware in the cluster instead of sequoia but no guarantees that would work or wouldn’t cause other problems.

The only two options you really have are

1) Spoof the electric power steering signal into the cluster. IE fool it into thinking the electric power steering system is there and in perfect working order. This would require some knowledge of the trucks network and a device to generate and send the data message on the communication network as soon as the key is turned on. Not exactly an easy solution. You basically create and inject a data message into the network that the cluster sees and thinks means everything is good to go.

2) Option is pull the cluster out and just unsolder that one led so it can’t light up anymore. Pretty sure this the route almost anyone would take and about the only DIY way to “fix” it.

You could also just buy a Tundra cluster instead.

3. Mar 29, 2024 at 6:45 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    For anyone wanting to know more about this: The Toyota programming is basically setup to know what systems should be present. If one is not seen within a certain timeout, say 3-5 seconds, it assumes that system has failed and turns on the warning indicator.

This is all based on data and messages on the communication network. For the example of the electric power steering system the cluster is looking for a message ID: 0x394 and data 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 to keep the warning light off. (I did the hard part and reverse engineering already months ago)

The ID 0x394 is most likely broadcast by the Engine ECM, the data in the first byte controls the power steering light on the dash. 00 is off, 02 is on and flashing. That was as far as I went when I was testing this. I assume some value also corresponds to a steady on, maybe 01

The tundra does not ever send out a message with ID 0x394 because it doesn’t have electric power steering. To spoof this you just need a device that plugs into the trucks network and sends out the message 0x394 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 every 3 seconds or so. The cluster will see this data on the network and keep the warning light off.

Building and coding a device to create this message is the hard part here. The idea behind it is simple.

Jowett and 07 Tundie like this.
  4. Mar 30, 2024 at 4:30 PM
    dess

dess [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dess
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    Climate control upgrade Entertainment system upgrade 20" BFG wheels and tires 2" level kit
    Doesn't seem that it will affect the truck as a whole if the light is on though, right?
    I took apart the cluster planning on unsoldering the LED associated with it, but wasn't sure which one it was from the back of the board so I didn't bother. Lifted the speedometer background and covered the LED with a piece of electrical tape so I don't see it and if ever needed it back I could.
    20240330_101732.jpg

Last edited: Apr 17, 2024
    Jeff_5_7 and 4x4WarriorOfRocks like this.
  5. Apr 1, 2024 at 9:52 AM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    The light being on is only an indicator to you that something is wrong with the electric power steering system. Which you don't have.

The cluster is the only ecu in the truck recognizing this error or fault, the truck should run and drive just fine.

6. Apr 16, 2024 at 4:52 PM
    KeepOnTruckin

KeepOnTruckin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2010 4.6 4x4 Bare Bones
    I'm guessing our hydraulic system is purely based off from pressure data from the as it adjust RPM slightly to assist low speed steering effort and Low or no pressure triggers the light?

I didn't look up the Sequoia but another Yoda, and the EPS ECU is on CANL/CANH along with Engine ECM, Skid ECU, and the engine ECU talks to the cluster through the MPX+/MPX-.

I'm just curious what it takes to trigger the light on our hydraulic systems...

I always enjoy your posts of what you've learned along the way.

7. Apr 16, 2024 at 5:18 PM
    thumper_racer

thumper_racer Not a New Member

Member:
    TN
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Rock Warrior
    When I did the swap for mine, I used a small piece of black electrical tape to to cover the Led. I didn't want to risk messing up the cluster by desoldering it, so the electrical tape worked great.

8. Apr 17, 2024 at 1:19 PM
    dess

dess [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dess
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra
    That's exactly what I did

thumper_racer[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 24, 2024 at 9:27 PM
    KeepOnTruckin

KeepOnTruckin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Vehicle:
    2010 4.6 4x4 Bare Bones
    FWLittleIW - in this thread, apparently the ECM wants to see >260 PSI to keep the PS light off on our trucks. Clearly this doesn't help the issue with the Sequoia cluster looking for data from the ECM it will never see.

Point - Most of us will know if we loose power assist without the aid of light, so that light isn't real meaningful until other systems are off line from a failed pressure sensor. That would show up via OBD data.

dess[OP] and Jeff_5_7 like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top