1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Is cometic defect a red flag when buying Tundra?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by yeo3th, May 15, 2024.

1. May 15, 2024 at 8:04 PM
    yeo3th

yeo3th [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi all,

I have been looking for a replacement Tundra about a month or so (it took me about 3 months for my current Tundra) and found this 2019 Platinum which is about 4 hours away.

It has about 33k miles and toyota golden certified with oil changes done about every 10k miles.

Based on the wear on the driving wheel and amount of scratches in the truck bed, I wonder if that reflects how previous owner have treated the truck.

my wife doesn't feel right about this truck and want me to move on but it seem like a good deal to me if that's only a cosmetic issue as I can use driving wheel cover and bed liner but I would like to get other people's opinion on this one as well..

your opinion will be highly appreciated!

wheel.jpg
    truckBed.jpg
    engineBay.jpg

2. May 15, 2024 at 8:08 PM
    Randydw

Randydw New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Ozark,mo
    Vehicle:
    2021 platinum crew cab
    What they asking

3. May 15, 2024 at 8:09 PM
    yeo3th

yeo3th [OP] New Member

Member:
    43k but I know they are willing to go down

4. May 15, 2024 at 8:11 PM
    Markus

Markus Hermitic Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Boring, MO
    Vehicle:
    2 1794 Tundys 2014 and 2023 AG TRD
    A few
    The bed scratches easy, no worries there. The wear on the steering wheel is odd. Almost looks dirty vs worn

bgdv1, OldGuy03 and BeauDacious like this.
  5. May 15, 2024 at 8:14 PM
    d33pt

d33pt New Member

Member:
    How's the brake pedal wear look? At 33k, all that stuff should look brand new. My truck at 120k looks better than that.

panicman and 2mchfun like this.
  6. May 15, 2024 at 8:18 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    The steering wheel almost looks like there was a chemical put on it…..maybe the guy used a lot of hand sanitizer. That stuff breaks down leather / vinyl pretty quickly. If that’s all that there is I would not be concerned. The bed scratches can be fixed by having a bed liner prepped and sprayed on…..the guy used the bed like a truck should be used apparently. Just a shame he didn’t have a liner in it already.

Last edited: May 15, 2024
    14CRWMX and BravoDeltaRomeo like this.
  7. May 15, 2024 at 8:18 PM
    yeo3th

yeo3th [OP] New Member

Member:
    its a good idea to check the brake pedal! which I haven't done.. I will probably check that as well when I ask salesman for another video walkthrough

my trunk at 189k has better looking driving wheels than one from the picture as well...

8. May 15, 2024 at 8:22 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    That steering wheel is rough.
    Maybe the over use of hand sanitizer in the last 4 years..:eek2:

The bed, not so much, it just looks like he used it.
    A Bedrug bed and tailgate mat will fix that...:thumbsup:

E56C2A52-CB37-4473-BA4A-B034B228A760_zps_5d2d65d9d4293c6eeade3f25397882a02eb58369.jpg

shawn474 likes this.
  9. May 15, 2024 at 8:22 PM
    d33pt

d33pt New Member

Member:
    I've looked at low mileage trucks with obvious wear like that, did a carfax and they were rolled back miles. I'm not saying this one is, but it's always fishy to me. I don't fall in love with anything and walk if there's something I don't like. There's always another one. 43k is a lot of dough to not get what makes you happy. You'll be annoyed touching steering wheel every day.

Markus likes this.
  10. May 15, 2024 at 8:24 PM
    HLR_NM

HLR_NM New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Walk, no, run away and please give me the seller’s info so I may contact and reprimand him for such a terrible misrepresentation.

panicman, Bammer and 1lowlife like this.
  11. May 15, 2024 at 8:25 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    How does one roll back miles on a digital display?

12. May 15, 2024 at 8:29 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C
    Looks to me like a fisherman who uses his truck like a truck. Overpriced IMO, but might be a great truck if you can talk him down some.

Black Wolf, BeauDacious and 1lowlife like this.
  13. May 15, 2024 at 8:38 PM
    ps8820

ps8820 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    ShoppingTundraGen1
    1st thing: my opinion and i cant prove it, i just FEEL its true.
    So, just based on yr & miles, the wheel condition and bed scratches wouldnt be most pivotal for me. Looks like PO was not 100 'interior hygenics aware' Lots of guys like that especially self-employed contractors and cant really blame them since, to them, its a tool to make a living.
    I'd rely more on reading code history, Carfax [if they can be trusted] and trans oil inspection and testing coolant quality, as well as most important: drive quality [vs another of same yr/config]. I bet im not saying anything that hasnt gone thru your mind on this.
    Anyways, Ive been shopping for a well kept Gen1 AC-2WD and Ive seen some real slobs out there, but Toyota trucks can survive the worst, right down to little to no maintenance. Ive always said if you can break or disable a Toyota [outside of collision] you are a dangerous human. Trouble is generally peeps interpret the word 'truck' to mean "..it can take it, no worry..". [yeah, except for resale.]
    BTW: Is this truck fr/a Toyota Dealer? I ask b/c lately [interest rates] are making peeps loan shy and my presumption is Toyota dealerships
    may be less negotiable on used since they have a Lot full of New and market hi loan rates are eating up Used supply. If I'm wrong, somebody bring me up on game.

Bammer likes this.
  14. May 15, 2024 at 8:41 PM
    d33pt

d33pt New Member

Member:
    You can swap out the whole cluster. Is it kept on the ECU or stored in the cluster? I'd hope the newer ones are stored in the ECU.

1lowlife[QUOTED] likes this.
  15. May 15, 2024 at 8:43 PM
    yeo3th

yeo3th [OP] New Member

Member:
    yes the truck is being offered by a toyota dealership as a CPO which I kind of love about after what I am going through with my current truck as it had bad chain tensioner when I picked it up (I wish I knew it was a common issue!!!!)

salesperson I have been working with was willing to take some really low number to his manager and that was like two weeks ago and the truck is still available so I think there is a room for negotiation for sure...

Last edited: May 15, 2024
  16. May 15, 2024 at 8:49 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra Cement DC
    Magnuson Supercharged, Dobinson Lift, 315/70r17 on Rockwarriors, Heftyfab bumper, Dirty Deeds 3” race exhaust
    I just swapped my ECU and definitely think the mileage is only in the cluster which is interesting. You could likely swap clusters from a junk yard model to “roll back”. There is a vin check (to start the vehicle) outside of the ECU but I don’t believe it’s part of the cluster at all.

17. May 15, 2024 at 8:50 PM
    HLR_NM

HLR_NM New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    You had me at CPO.

This is an opportunity for a fantastic deal IMO

18. May 15, 2024 at 9:16 PM
    2020 dc

2020 dc New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 tundra dc sr
    Asked the salesman to put the truck on a lift so you can do a close inspection of everything. If everything is good, steering wheel and truck bed will be minor to fix.

19. May 15, 2024 at 9:20 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Cool story, but did your new TTV6 tow a shuttle?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Check the safety chain loops on the hitch for excessive wear. Could have towed everyday and possibly cheated the mileage.What does the paint on the door sills look like? Should be pretty good if in fact 33k. Basically common sense stuff, like hood chips, factory spare wear, etc.

yeo3th[OP] likes this.
  20. May 15, 2024 at 9:31 PM
    Y0TA PR0

Y0TA PR0 Dirt biking & fishing

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD PRO
    :eek2::facepalm:

2mchfun likes this.
  21. May 15, 2024 at 9:37 PM
    Totmacher

Totmacher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    West TN
    Vehicle:
    mesquite Tundra or blue 4Runner
    Some
    That negative battery terminal looks odd. Is that normal is some area? My 2018 with over 130k doesn't look like that but it's a southern truck.

dondino and 2mchfun like this.
  22. May 15, 2024 at 9:46 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Cool story, but did your new TTV6 tow a shuttle?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    As batteries vibrate from travel, the lead to plastic housing seals begin to leak gas and that causes corrosion.

23. May 15, 2024 at 9:53 PM
    Tripleconpanna

Tripleconpanna Just an X who bought Bud Light from Target

Member:
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD PRO CM; 2008 SR5 CM
    That may be anti-corrosive spray... I've seen it in weird colors lately including an orangy-yellow mashup of sorts; which this may be.

OP... bottom line is to trust your instincts :thumbsup: If something feels off, move on as you'll find another if you're patient.

I know a lot of folks went hyper crazy w/sanitizer, bleach and such (spraying that shit everywhere) for a year or two; if those chemicals were sprayed directly on the steering wheel and allowed to sit for any time it could definitely mess w/the plastic/faux leatherish steering wheel materials.

Bed wear is non-problematic as it appears PO used to truck for either work (fishing) or hobby (fishing). The rod holder mounted in the bed would indicate that he/she probably had coolers and other related gear in the bed on a regular basis that slid around causing the marks; spray in bed liner will resolve that...

You will never be able to accurately asses a vehicle through pics or video. You're gonna have to see it in person w/the expectation that you're going to find issues and will probably walk away from it. CARFAX, registration, accident and service histories can give you info that may steer you away before you even plan to look at it.

Also, take the VIN to your local dealer and have them run a check on it. They'll be able to tell you if any recalls have been addressed, major/minor repairs and service history performed by Toyota.

Finally, I'd make sure you have documented proof that the 30k service has been completed, and if not have the dealer take care of that as part of the transaction during negotiations.

OldGuy03 and 2mchfun like this.
  24. May 15, 2024 at 9:56 PM
    ps8820

ps8820 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    ShoppingTundraGen1
    To me a 3.5 yr old w/33k miles suggest avg to low mileage; off the bat i dont see anything suspicious on that note.
    OTOH, Im a bit surprised Toyota dealer didnt get a serious detailer on the wheel, but assuming thats the only cosmetic low point [b/c scratches happen immediately w/out the liner] I would request a compression check [inyour presence] as a conditon of sale. If they negotiate to your price point, make that an immediate condition.
    Also, if you intend to finance thru Toyota, I'd insist on all of above since I doubt you be getting better rates fr/them vs a CreditUnion or even your own bank. Even if you can cash it out, I'd still get financed if for no other reason than having another [more influential] party in the deal that if for some reason an issue comes up regarding any Toyota warranty they include, you have a potential advocate. Of course, you didnt ask about that in your post but Im just guessing at some of the sales issues you might end up seeing.
    Also, I do agree w/whoever above posted "..walk b/c another Tundra will come along soon enough.." or something to that effect..but not for his reasons. Otherwise, if this is the 'perfect config' and [and youre getting truck market fatigue] your negotiation w/dealer goes no where, just be polite and state that your bottomline still stands and if they have a change of mind, ask them to give you a call. I will bet you get a call, text or email w/in 5 days; regardless of the current 'Used market demand' these business's rely on one thing: 'a warm body to sign on the line that is dotted'. So even if not using their financing, or especially if you're cashing out, make your conditions clear and in same moment you arrive at 'that' price. Make them work for it.
    To borrow a line fr/ 'GlenGary-GlennRoss', 'a man does not walk on to the lot unless he's willing to buy', or something like that.
    ok, i'll relinquish the podium now.

yeo3th[OP] and Bammer like this.
  25. May 15, 2024 at 10:14 PM
    ps8820

ps8820 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    joe
    Vehicle:
    ShoppingTundraGen1
    Agree w/above....use this link [if u have a current google acct, no need to populate ID, etc; just click "continue w/google"

[https://account.toyota.com/XUI/?rea...pY2F0aW9uLw%3D%3D&response_mode=query#login/]

for VIN chk; straight fr/Toyota, as it left factory.
    It also states what date of sale fr/dealer; which should agree w/Carfax. I have called the Carfax listed Toyota Dealerships and queried about a subject vehicle, giving them the VIN and stating I may purchase vehicle, then asking what was done on given date to see if it chk w/Carfax data. So far havnt come across any misses in the 2 times I queried.

26. May 15, 2024 at 11:20 PM
    BeauDacious

BeauDacious 040 > all other colors

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    Vehicle:
    14 DC 4x
    it is possible to (some cases one or other) trick / reprogram the computer.

Here is a reprogram example Camry / Lexus example from 2011... It has been being done for a long time. The dip socket to board soldering is optional, it was so this dude could play with it... In and out...
    https://www.toyotanation.com/threads/diy-odometer-reprogramming.782562/

1lowlife[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. May 16, 2024 at 4:35 AM
    Gene_in_FL

Gene_in_FL SUPER genius

Member:
    FLORIDA
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 DC 5.7 2021 SR5 DC 5.7
    The owner was a dumbass redneck who didn't give a sh*t about that truck.

28. May 16, 2024 at 5:30 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    Wow that's a little extreme. Do you feel better now?

@yeo3th
    Anyways. Have you received any pictures of underneath? It looks like the truck was used as a truck (a tool) rather than a daily driver to and from work/grocery store. Sure the maintenance was done up to 30k but what about actual taking care of the vehicle. When mechanical systems are used heavily (even as designed), they tend to not last as long. I think at minimum, you need to see the truck and person to really get a true feel. Videos and photos are/can be very deceiving.

yeo3th[OP] and 1lowlife like this.
  29. May 16, 2024 at 5:32 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    My 09 steering wheel had some minor fade not as bad as that, but after 13 years. Could be chemicals on the hands or letting the wheel slide through hands in turns. I think mine faded from abrasion over the years.

The bed?

It's a truck. Someone used it as such and did not line it. Oh well. Put a liner in it. I'd be happy to see an un covered bed that could be inspected for major rust before I lined it.

I'm not dismissing concerns but those two things would not be an automatic deal killer for me.

Not everybody upkeeps vehicles to trailer queen level, especially half tons. There are people who are mechanically meticulous but don't stress about cosmetics the way Tundra devotees on a forum do. Doesn't make them dumbass rednecks.

Last edited: May 16, 2024
    1lowlife likes this.
  30. May 16, 2024 at 6:02 AM
    Asimov2025

Asimov2025 Not Sure

Member:
    Trent Woods, NC
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD 4x4 Sport
    Non-stop mods
    It's a CPO so...have them add new steering wheel and Rhino-line the bed.

bgdv1, OldGuy03, HLR_NM and 3 others like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top