1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

First Tundra DIY oil change, lessons learned

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by CallsignKodiak, Sep 2, 2023.

1. Sep 2, 2023 at 2:01 PM
    CallsignKodiak

CallsignKodiak [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    2021 Toyota Tundra SR5 4x4 CrewMax
    First DIY oil change lessons learned

EDIT: Changed fujimoto to fumoto.

Put your truck on ramps if you're a stout guy like me. You can probably wiggle under there just enough to get the job done without it, but it'll be more stressful and time consuming. I didn't do this even though I had the rhino ramps at home...and regretted it. Not using them made everything twice as hard, not having the extra space to maneuver.

Draining the engine oil pan takes a little bit of time and patience, especially if you have the fumoto valve installed as that makes it drain a little bit slower. Plan on hooking up your drain tubes on both the oil pan and the oil filter housing and walking away for at least 20 minutes while all the oil drains out of both places.

Have a piece of thin cardboard, like a discarded cereal box, ready to form into a half-pipe shield for deflection of drain oil flow & splatter. This likely won't be necessary if you have a fumoto valve installed on the oil pan. Aluminum foil can be used in the same manner to redirect oil flow where needed, especially if you decide not to remove the skid plate during oil changes.

Take the time to remove the skid plate or at least have the correct drain tube thingamajig for the oil filter housing. I was trying to use the supplied fumoto drain tube with the oil filter housing "drainer" insert plug that came with the oil filter but quickly realized that didn't work at all. Have the right tools on hand.

The plastic plug supplied with the oil filter seems darn near impossible to insert into the drain valve on the oil filter housing, especially with a skid plate in the way and having to put my arms in at odd angles. Just purchase the special MotiveX oil filter housing drain tool and save yourself a lot of grief.

If you don't already own the oil filter housing socket from MotiveX, just purchase the whole three piece kit which includes the housing socket, the oil filter housing drain tool, and the screw-in oil funnel. Even better...order the fumoto drain valve at the same time.

Doing DIY oil changes is all about having a system. Get your system down with supplies ready and the actual oil change will take less than 25 to 30 minutes, less time than it takes to drive somewhere (and back) to have it done. It took me waaay too long to do that first oil change.

Organize all your Toyota specific oil change tools in one place like a dedicated little toolbox or milk crate, along with the oil filters and air filters. This has made oil change days a lot easier. I have one milk crate per vehicle like this in my garage, each containing the specific filters, a ziplock of drain bolt washers (where applicable), and special tools needed for each vehicle.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    Jojoma2016, Henry1jg, Ebeast and 8 others like this.
  2. Sep 2, 2023 at 2:11 PM
    Oey12

Oey12 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    New York
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 TRD OFFROAD
    Coach Builder 1 inch lift strut spacers Coach Builder 1 inch shackles TRD Sway Bar Diode Dynamics SS
    …you’ll get the hang of it.

Honestly I don’t rush it…

3. Sep 2, 2023 at 3:03 PM
    Rob's Inferno

Rob's Inferno New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 SR5 crewmax 4x4 Inferno
    Prob the 1 thing i hate about my Tundra, is changing the oil.

4. Sep 2, 2023 at 3:17 PM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    The oil change is a no brainer. It's the cartridge style filter that slows everything down. I'm sure there is some supreme toyota engineering science behind it, but the disposable canister style takes a fraction of the time with minimal mess.

Got it down to science now but those first few times were a doozy. OP, glad you're doing home jobs on this with good OCIs, cheaper and higher quality vs dealer.

5. Sep 2, 2023 at 4:01 PM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    I've done about 200 oil changes in my garage or driveway in the last 30 years. The Tundra takes a little more time, than say, my 1997 T-100 truck, due to the canister style filter. But I use the time to have a good look around under the truck. Make sure everything gets properly cleaned. And that ALL fasteners are reinstalled and properly torqued. The Rhino ramps, as mentioned, make it so much easier (also it pushes the oil to the back of the engine and into the oil pan and out the drain hole. Fumoto (Fujimoto for those of you in Rio Linda) valves provide your life a nice little slice of convenience.

I sleep each night with a wonderful blissful calmness.

6. Sep 2, 2023 at 4:30 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    Wish I would have read this about 3 hours ago!

Just did my first oil change and had a good 6 oz of oil fill the skid plate while it was trickling out of the pan…. About a roll of paper towels and a can of brake cleaner too care of it, but ugh! Live and learn…

7. Sep 2, 2023 at 5:28 PM
    Reddawg1100

Reddawg1100 New Member

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5 Midnight Black DC, AKA: Bat Truck
    Custom rims, front leveling spacers
    Love the Rush reference! Sure do miss him. I had not heard of a Fumoto valve before (new Tundra owner, 2021 DC). I haven’t had to do an oil change yet… why is a Fumoto valve recommended?

PRNDS and Gene_in_FL like this.
  8. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:06 PM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    I guess I called it the wrong name. Oops.

9. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:09 PM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    I've seen it recommended here on tundras.com and on bobistheoilguy.com. It's basically a ball valve with a safety check that makes it very convenient to drain your oil pan.

10. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:11 PM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    I'm kind of intrigued by the cartridge oil filter. For the first time I can actually see what my filter is trapping. Using more standard oil filters is convenient but doesn't give me the opportunity without opening the canister to see how much crud is being trapped by the filter.

11. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:19 PM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    Fortunately, I'm well stocked with large broken down cardboard boxes, so I lay one of those down first as kind of a mechanics creeper/slider, then a oil drip pan on top of that which looks like a gigantic baking sheet and then my oil drain/catch pan on top of all that. With all of that plus being cautious and having a roll of shop towels right next to me, it's hard to make too big of a mess.

12. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:21 PM
    BobsYourUncle

BobsYourUncle New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Super White Tundra TRD Pro
    I installed one of these today when I was doing mine, so hopefully I won't have to worry about filling the skidplate with oil next time. They install easily, and other than maybe being a bit slower, I've heard lots of people love them and my dad has used them on several vehicles without issue. So hoping it lives up to it's reputation.

13. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:23 PM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    Take an empty wine bottle and place the oil filter housing drain tool into it. Then you get the leverage you need to snap it in place and it drains into the bottle. No mess.

14. Sep 2, 2023 at 6:48 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    The fumoto actually take a good deal longer to drain but I never notice it because every 6 months I knock out 5 oil changes at the same time at my folks house. By the time I open all the drains and filters, the first ones ready to go. The cleanliness out weighs the time for me everytime but 20 minutes sounds right. Also agree the motiv tools rock, got one for my matrix too

15. Sep 2, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue Pearl DC 4X2 SR5
    Been changing oil/filter on every vehicle I've owned since 1961. I use the Rhino ramps for the Tundra, makes it much easier to slip underneath on a creeper. I have a 5 gallon bucket I put under the drain plug and it catches every bit of the oil when being drained.

I drain the pan first, replace the plug and move the bucket under the oil filter and take care of that next. I have a piece of cardboard (flattened box) under the 5 gallon bucket in order to scoot it around (and also to place my various tools on so they go with the bucket.

Before all this, I remove the skid plate and set it on a large piece of cardboard and slide it back underneath the truck out of the way. At 74 it is a bit harder for me to get up and down but I do it without much issue. I take care of my wife's 2017 Sequoia in the same manner.

Dan

16. Sep 3, 2023 at 5:12 AM
    TundraMcGov.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    Hero status ^^^^. :cheers:

PanamaJack, Henry1jg, eowade and 11 others like this.
  17. Sep 3, 2023 at 5:21 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Seriously I have relatives I'm their 50s and 60s that would need to go to urgent care if they tried to change oil.

18. Sep 3, 2023 at 6:10 AM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    I'm 50 and pretty sore after all the awkward maneuvering and under truck acrobatics yesterday morning without using ramps. Rhino ramps for the win next time. I will not let the stealerships, VIOC, or Jiffy Lube conquer me!! I am drawing my line of male domination right here, right now and marking my territory (driveway) with used oil stains! :duel:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
  19. Sep 3, 2023 at 6:11 AM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    The emojis for this forum seem like they're straight out of the '90s, by the way.

20. Sep 3, 2023 at 4:12 PM
    TundraMcGov.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    Buy all the necessary Mama Toyota parts when they're on sale and stock your self. Then you can feel like YOU are your very own dealer service department. Without all of the BS.

Shelf.jpg

21. Sep 3, 2023 at 5:55 PM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Wow lol I thought I was bad

PanamaJack and PomDad like this.
  22. Sep 3, 2023 at 7:12 PM
    shawn474

shawn474 Lego connoisseur

Member:
    MoCo, Maryland
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement Tundra crew max TRD Off Road
    I am going to attempt my first oil change in the next few weeks. I have the Toyota oem aluminum filter housing and the fumoto valve ready to install. I have the RCI engine and transmission skid plates installed already so I would prefer not to have to take them off and just open the access panel. Not sure if I will have enough room to maneuver to do what is needed though. Anyone have a similar setup that is willing to give some advice? Thanks in advance

23. Sep 3, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    No removal needed, you have a nice little trap door now to change out all the goodies. Here is another good kit to consider, bought it about 2 years ago it's been great. There are a few different kits that range in price but below is the one I bought.

https://www.amazon.com/3mirrors-Com...9&sr=8-2-spons&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGY

bulldog93 and shawn474[QUOTED] like this.
  24. Sep 3, 2023 at 7:44 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    I'll take some photos of my setup during the next oil change (ramps, 5 gallon bucket etc.) I'm due but have been putting it off. No excuses now, I'll get to it.

Dan

25. Sep 3, 2023 at 7:49 PM
    OHwendTrd

OHwendTrd Aging Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    OH
    Vehicle:
    21 SR5
    ATF Cooler
    How do you like you're ramps? Been meaning to get a pair but always buy other things, plus I have jack stands ...

26. Sep 3, 2023 at 7:54 PM
    fyrfytr26

fyrfytr26 New Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 DC SR
    I use a 5-gallon plastic jug with a screw-on lid. To drain the oil I simply put the tubing from my Fumoto valve in the spout and let it drain. When the jug gets full I take it to my local garage that heats with waste oil. No mess, no cleanup at all.

IMG_1371.jpg

Henry1jg, MedCityMoto, bgdv1 and 2 others like this.
  27. Sep 3, 2023 at 8:21 PM
    Bergmen

Bergmen New Member

Member:
    Ukiah, California
    Vehicle:
    The ramps are excellent. Light weight, easy to haul around and place into position in front of the front tires. No worries on where to use a floor jack or jack stands. It takes a bit of an easy touch to get up without over doing it but one foot on the brake pedal while slowly pressing the throttle and climbing up the ramp is easy. Then it drops into the depression on top. Mash the parking brake and all is well (and safe).

Dan

28. Sep 3, 2023 at 8:46 PM
    CallsignKodiak

Member:
    First Name:
    Bear
    Iiawah
    Vehicle:
    2021 CrewMax 4x4
    Bone stock
    I think these are called "carboys".

29. Sep 3, 2023 at 11:51 PM
    fyrfytr26

fyrfytr26 New Member

Member:
    Eastern PA
    Vehicle:
    2021 DC SR
    No, a carboy is different. A different shape, and usually heavier material. A carboy is shaped more like a bottle with a single neck and spout. Similar to a beer bottle but with a much shorter neck.

IMG_1372.jpg

30. Sep 4, 2023 at 2:52 AM
    Retired...finally

Retired...finally Utilizing that doctorate of procrastinatory arts

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 Barcelona Red SR5 Crewmax
    Custom bug spat pattern hood, grill & bumper. Dead Live Oak leaf collection under hood, cowl and lower fenders. Beach sand custom floor covering.
    I made notes on an index card of sockets sizes and torques. Stuck to the side of my tool chest. Take two Advil before I start.

Rstreight, WILLINH, Mythaniel and 7 others like this.
To Top