1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Drivers side window skips/stops with rain or snow

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Scobes 7, Mar 8, 2023.

1. Mar 8, 2023 at 7:53 AM
    Scobes 7

Scobes 7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    My new 23 Tundra driver side window does not roll down smoothly (skips)and sometimes stops halfway when there is moisture involved. Either with rain or snow. The other 3 windows are fine. Anyone else with this issue?

2. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:12 AM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

TheLordwoulddriveaTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4WD, Mag Grey
    Talons Cat Plate Tuff Skinz Inserts RetraxOne XR Bed Cover Premium Shield PPF Revivify Coating OEM Console Safe WeatherTech Mats
    Yeah, I have the same issue with two of my windows. Someone on the forum said the dealer needed to make an adjustment to tighten the clamps and grease the track. I don't want them taking my door panels off because they will likely never go back the same way and be as tight based on previous experience with dealers taking apart interior pieces. I rather deal with the occasional skips than a rattling door.

ryanwgregg and Yaboy like this.
  3. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:19 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    Not worried about the additional stress on the mechanical parts or motor with the skips?

4. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:24 AM
    TheLordwoulddriveaTundra

TheLordwoulddriveaTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Platinum Crewmax 4WD, Mag Grey
    Talons Cat Plate Tuff Skinz Inserts RetraxOne XR Bed Cover Premium Shield PPF Revivify Coating OEM Console Safe WeatherTech Mats
    I'll cross that bridge when I get there. If it craps out while under warranty, then I don't have a choice but to let them take my panels off. If it doesn't crap out by then, I will get it fixed before warranty expires so I am not on the hook. Rattling interior noises drive me absolutely mad and right now, I have none.

MadMaxCanon[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:27 AM
    MadMaxCanon

MadMaxCanon New Member

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '21 CM SR5 4x4 6 seater
    Too many, but not enough....
    I have found with warranty claims that its better to get it done asap since the more time passes, the more chance they will say its normal wear and tear or you doing something incorrectly. This is based on my own attempted warranty claims.

Unitdosed and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Mar 8, 2023 at 8:29 AM
    Yaboy

Yaboy New Member

Member:
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    22 limited off-road
    If my driver window is wet, when I use auto up it will shoot back down once it hits the top. Only way to close the window is inch it up slowly, first time it happened I couldn’t get it to close because of the auto up.

Unitdosed likes this.
  7. Mar 16, 2023 at 7:57 AM
    Scobes 7

Scobes 7 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited
    I want to get it addressed during my next scheduled maintenance. Sounds like an unfortunate common occurrence

ryanwgregg likes this.
  8. Mar 16, 2023 at 6:15 PM
    v-wiz

v-wiz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vic
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock Tundra
    Same here, my passenger window does this

9. Aug 22, 2023 at 12:14 PM
    AustinTexas

AustinTexas New Member

Member:
    I'm taking my truck in this Thursday to have this issue corrected. Should this be corrected under the extended warranty

10. Sep 30, 2023 at 5:07 AM
    Cj6530

Cj6530 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2023 Black Limited
    I am having this problem on my drivers side window now we are seeing cold/wet weather. I took it to the dealer to have it fixed this week. They said they did……but it is still doing it. Any tips on understanding why it is happening as the dealer is clueless?

11. Oct 3, 2023 at 4:11 PM
    mkii_turbo

mkii_turbo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited TRD Off-Road
    Had the exact same issue with my 23. Was worse in the cold/wet, had to take a video as it was sometimes hit or miss.

Initially my dealer greased the tracks which really didn’t improve things, on the next visit they ordered new tracks (I believe the term they used was a window “run”).

Quick job, and wouldn’t have any worries about future rattles if they replace it. My other front window was broken by a thief and I quickly put in new OE glass once the door panel was off.

You can fix the stopping mid way by doing a relearn of the auto up/down, I believe it involves holding the switch for 5 seconds at the top all the way up and the same for the bottom. You can Google it, but it won’t fix jumping issues.

Good luck !

12. Oct 6, 2023 at 6:53 PM
    tcap23

tcap23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2023 Capstone
    First time in the rain tonight. At drive thru ordering food, pushed the drivers down button and the jerking of the window shook the whole door! Up is no problem, smooth as silk. Checked all three other windows and no problems.
    Just wondering what the water has to do with it? You would think the water would act as a lubricant. I think its not so much a mechanical issue, but the water is doing something with the outer wiper fuzzy seal ? Maybe there is no fuzzy but just sticky rubber that is just acting like a squeedge wiping 100% of the water off. Just thinking about using a push squeedge on the floor and if it is wiping almost 100% of the water away it tends to quiver and jerk
    Just my two cents. Obviously it will have to go to deal for service.
    PT in Tennessee

13. Oct 6, 2023 at 6:57 PM
    minium

minium New Member

Member:
    I would just buy a bag of clips and swap them out as needed if there is any issue with the door panel after they pop it off.

Can you mist it with a water bottle on a sunny day and replicate it?

14. Oct 8, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    tcap23

tcap23 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Vehicle:
    2023 Capstone
    good idea. I will tri this tomorrow. Today colder but dry and works up/down perfectly.
    PT in Tennessee

15. Oct 20, 2023 at 6:27 PM
    AustinTexas

AustinTexas New Member

Member:
    Dealership did a warranty repair on mine. Tech said the cables looked rusted like it had water damage?

16. Oct 20, 2023 at 7:36 PM
    IronMountain7

IronMountain7 New Member

Member:
    Hobbs
    It's indeed an unusual experience to have the window behave that way in the rain. Your observation about the water potentially interacting with the outer wiper or seal is insightful. While water might sometimes act as a lubricant, in certain conditions or with particular materials, it can indeed cause friction or adherence, similar to your squeegee example on the floor. It's good that the other windows are functioning correctly, which does suggest this might be an isolated issue with the driver's side window seal or mechanism.

Mattedfred likes this.
  17. Oct 20, 2023 at 7:39 PM
    IronMountain7

IronMountain7 New Member

Member:
    Hobbs
    Taking it to the dealer for a service is a prudent decision. They should be able to identify the specific cause and rectify the issue. Until then, it might be best to limit using the window in wet conditions to avoid potential damage.

Stay safe and I hope your issue gets resolved swiftly!

Mattedfred likes this.
  18. Dec 29, 2023 at 7:08 AM
    Ajd1985

Ajd1985 SR5

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra SR5
    I have a 22 tundra SR5 and having all windows skipping only going in the down position only when wet. Would recommend to tell Toyota technician to wet your window so they can try to figure out what is happening. Only have 11,000 miles on it and at dealer now getting serviced under Toyota care. Please call Toyota customer service to report so they can recall this issue. I would recommend getting them all fixed even though you don’t think they are skipping at this time. I will post when issue hopefully gets resolved by Toyota technicians. Told them I don’t want the truck back till it gets fixed!

19. Dec 29, 2023 at 7:28 AM
    Dan_Gleesac14

Dan_Gleesac14 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra SR5;2018 Tundra Platinum (SOLD)
    I am currently dealing with this now. They are trying to blame my tints which is absurd, considering it is only the driver side doing it like most people are experiencing. I got word from my dealer (Hanover Toyota in PA, that I do not recommend btw) last week that Toyota denied my claim and due to having tints. I will be calling Toyota myself today actually once I finish up some work so I can push the issue further. Can I deal with it? Sure. But on a truck that I actually intend to keep for a long time, I do not want to risk dealing with stress issues down the road from parts being word down prematurely.

I plan on telling them that I don't mind pulling the tint off the driver window since it is easy enough with a steamer, but they will have to pay to have it reinstalled. I've had over a dozen personal vehicles get the same tint treatment from a vendor that also installs tints on brand new Porsches and BMWs in PA so I am 100% sure the tints are not the issue.

20. Dec 30, 2023 at 12:16 PM
    Ajd1985

Ajd1985 SR5

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra SR5
    So got the truck back from the dealer and said they wet the windows to test then greased window tracks. Not sure if this is the fix yet until I get some rain here but I will keep you posted. Hopefully that’s the problem and it’s not the window seal. Wondering if Toyota didn’t grease tracks good enough when in production.

21. Dec 30, 2023 at 1:33 PM
    mrcarey

mrcarey New Member

Member:
    Nice to find this post on the first page. We are traveling for New Years and this exact same thing happened to both windows last night in the rain and about 40 F. I have my 10k service visit coming up. I'll be sure so get this in and will post with what they find.

22. Jan 5, 2024 at 3:31 PM
    Ajd1985

Ajd1985 SR5

Member:
    LA
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra SR5
    Just had a lot of rain here in Louisiana. Tested windows from Toyota technician oiling tracks a couple weeks ago. Seems to be working fine at this time. Hope this helps everyone!

Tundrastruck91 and Mattedfred like this.
  23. Jan 5, 2024 at 10:51 PM
    dan81

dan81 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    White 2023 Tundra Limited
    Has anyone had to leave their truck overnight for this? I’ve had the truck since February 2023 and the driver side did skip a bit last winter, haven’t noticed it (yet) but when I mentioned it at my 5K service they said they’d need the truck overnight to test it. Seemed odd since I had a video of it happening. I never left it overnight as I need the truck for work

24. Jan 6, 2024 at 6:55 PM
    smileytn1

smileytn1 New Member

Member:
    My 2022 tundra limited does the same thing started today @11,000 miles approx i came out of a touch less car wash and on the way home it was misting rain . Backed up and rolled down window first and got the herky jerky motion on driver window. well i am with ya'll i is definitely a mfgr problem/ defect. smiley tn1

25. Feb 1, 2024 at 8:03 PM
    Cova_84

Cova_84 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2024 Terra Tundra TRD Pro
    Nitto Recon Grappler LT295/70/17 Taco Vinyl Heritage front grill vinyl Tint 50% windshield 15% all other windows. BAKFlip MX4 Bed Cover
    My ‘24 TRD Pro does this. It only affects the driver side window. It rained a bit our her in Los Angeles so it was the first time I noticed this. I’m going to get my second key fob tomorrow. I’ll mention it to them and see what they say.

26. Feb 1, 2024 at 8:06 PM
    Bourbonator

Bourbonator New Member

Member:
    North ID
    Vehicle:
    '23 LE CM 6.5
    Both of my front windows are pretty bad. I don't think I've rolled down the rears yet.

27. Feb 2, 2024 at 4:29 PM
    P1NDLESK1N

P1NDLESK1N New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
    Took mine in for the front driver's side. They told me there was a lot of dirt inside the tracks so they cleaned it out and greased it up. Not sure how dirty it can be for ~8000 miles of winterless pavement.

Tested it out a few times and no issue so far, but it sounds like it'll be a reoccurring issue if the dealers telling the truth.

28. Feb 2, 2024 at 5:32 PM
    Cova_84

Cova_84 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Southern California
    Vehicle:
    2024 Terra Tundra TRD Pro
    Nitto Recon Grappler LT295/70/17 Taco Vinyl Heritage front grill vinyl Tint 50% windshield 15% all other windows. BAKFlip MX4 Bed Cover
    I’m just over 2100 miles and my driver side skips when wet and I noticed my passenger side as well. I just got the truck in September.

29. Feb 2, 2024 at 6:30 PM
    mrcarey

mrcarey New Member

Member:
    UPDATE: So I had my dealer install new moldings around the windows today which was supposed to be the fix to this problem. The issue is... they put their tech with a 3rd grade education on it and fucked up my truck. Gaps and warped moldings everywhere. I was pissed. I talked to the head service manager and he's taking care of it, but for fuck sake. The asshole tech even smeared white lithium grease all over my new Katzkins. Luckily I had some leather cleaner and was able to clean it up before it stained. This was actually my favorite dealership of all time. I've bought 4 cars from them in the last 3 years. Extremely disappointing. They are super close to losing my business over this one.

30. Feb 2, 2024 at 7:19 PM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    if this has been a good dealer and they are taking care of it , my unsolicited advice is to just keep patient and chalk it up to shit happens. Sometimes things get sideways with employees and it just sucks but they will make it right

mrcarey[QUOTED] and in_the_mud like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top