1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lower just the rear of a 2024 tundra. Enough to level the truck

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tundra3211, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Dec 30, 2023 at 10:00 AM
    Tundra3211

Tundra3211 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5
    I am looking at lowering the rear of a 2024 tundra SR5 non air suspension.
    Maybe an 1” or so. I am not interested in lifting the front to make it level, more interested in lowering the back. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

ChucklesToy likes this.
  2. Jan 13, 2024 at 8:33 PM
    Big Sexy

Big Sexy New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bret
    Vehicle:
    2023 Platinum Magnetic Grey Metallic
    None yet, just bought 9/30/23
    #metoo

ChucklesToy likes this.
  3. Apr 24, 2024 at 3:14 PM
    KrissyMattAlpha

KrissyMattAlpha New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5
  4. Apr 24, 2024 at 3:55 PM
    mleaky

mleaky New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Crew Max Rock Warrior
    Shorter coil spring would probably do the trick, I don't think anyone makes them currently.

5. Apr 24, 2024 at 4:19 PM
    Adamace1

Adamace1 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 Tundra doubleCAB
    None....
  6. Apr 25, 2024 at 4:24 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
    Why?

mountainpete and Jettster like this.
  7. Apr 25, 2024 at 5:33 AM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    Seems like a massive expense a horrible ride just cause you wanna be different. There is really no good reason to level your truck that way. The independent 4 link needs the room and ergonomics to work properly. That is way you have not seen a ton of easy cheapish lift options. The current suspension options are 4 grand and up so the entire rear can be changed so it works properly. Just hacking off or replacing springs will cost you a shit ton in money and ride quality and you will just end up putting it back to stock.

8. Apr 25, 2024 at 7:37 AM
    PROTERRA

PROTERRA @201.PRO

Member:
    First Name:
    Sal
    So Cal
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra TRD PRO
    +1 on the shorter coil springs but like @mleaky wrote, good luck finding them since no one makes them. The look you’re after is not one that is highly sought after.

9. Apr 25, 2024 at 7:42 AM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    They don't make them cause it's a bad idea. The look is highly sought after ..... it's leveled. It's like saying I'm not gonna cut my hair I am gonna have surgery and lower my ears.

10. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:22 AM
    purplenova

purplenova Not a new member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Crewmax SR5
    Pillar Tape, Bullet Liner, 20% Tint, Tyger Star Armor Kenwood amp & AudioControl LC7i Tech12volts JL Tweeters
  11. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:12 AM
    KrissyMattAlpha

KrissyMattAlpha New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5
    I don't think a 1"-2" difference in lowering the spring height is gonna make such a horrible difference in ride/handling. Definitely not going to have the same level of detriment on ride/handling as a 3" lift with 35" tires does.

The Sport model I own already has a 1" lowered spring in the front and anyone who has these gargantuan overlander setups in their cargo bed has probably sagged the stock suspension well over an inch. I haven't seen anyone reporting significant issues with ride or handling. Additionally, don't the Tundras with AVS provide the ability to operate the truck in the lower range of its suspension travel?

I don't think changing the rear springs 1"-2" shorter is as significant as you think. Now if you're talking lowrider type setups where the suspension is basically just bottomed out or where the frame needs to be notched to accommodate axle travel, I would agree with you.

But that's not what the original poster and I are contemplating. I think we both have the Sport model and want to lower the rear suspension so that it complements the stock front suspension in ride height. Everyone uses their truck for their lifestyle and adapts it as such. My truck came with the stock 20" TRD wheels with the 32" tires on the Sport suspension, I put on an ARE camper shell to use the bed in a more SUV type role, I've got the bedrug installed back there too. The cargo my truck usually hauls is people, trips to home depot, guns/target setups to the range, surfboards to the beach, and luggage on the occasional weekend trip. I want the truck to handle well on the highway and be able to stop, accelerate, and turn as best as possible.

I don't haul large heavy loads, I don't tow anything more than a small utility trailer thats less than 1000 lbs, I don't offroad or put my truck through extreme suspension articulation. I don't want 35" tires that double the unsprung weight over stock tires and ruin my acceleration, braking, and handling. Nor do I want a lifted suspension that is soft and squishy to handle trail obstacles.

I just want the rear suspension leveled with the stock front suspension and then maybe upgrade the stock tires to a P-rated 33" with a tread with thats wider than stock tires.

If anyone has information (length and rate) on the OEM rear springs for a Sport model I think that would be a start to solving this. Maybe its possible the rear springs are similar to some other trims and the lowered fit we're looking for could be accomplished by just shortening some takeoff springs that one of the lifted bros aren't using.

12. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:26 AM
    mountainpete

mountainpete Explore more

Member:
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD
    Function before sparkle.
    As soon as you use your truck for truck things:

13. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:35 AM
    dklehman

dklehman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darin
    Vehicle:
    2024 sr5 Tundra
    If you lower your truck in the rear you will have to change your linkage . Maybe going just one inch you might not have to but it is gonna cause issues. Go look at how a 4 link suspension works and it's set up and you should be able to see what I'm saying. In the end I don't really care I was just trying to save you some money and headaches. Why do you think you can't find kits to do this because it shouldn't be done.

14. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:58 AM
    teab

teab 2023 Platinum w/ PRO bits

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2023 Platinum MGM 6.5
    TRD Pro Wheels, Go Rhino D6, Airlift bags/compressor, Talons Alum Cat Shield, Cheap-o Amazon Mud Flaps, Fastop Tonneau/Topper, Rear TRD Pro Shocks
    1. Step 1 take your coil spring out of rear of truck
    2. Step 2 Grab your trusty death wheel aka angle grinder.....upload_2024-4-25_12-58-19.png
    3. Step 3 Put your coils back in and hear them clang and rattle every bump you hit
    4. Step 4 realize you should have raised the front 0.75" to 1"

dklehman likes this.
  15. Apr 25, 2024 at 12:18 PM
    Coal Dragger

Coal Dragger New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White Double Cab Limited 5.7L 4X4
    I wanted a faster vehicle so I also bought a Chevy SS... because 4 door sedans with big V8’s are hilarious.
    Sell the truck and buy a Camry.

Rear suspension on a truck is higher to accommodate loads in the bed or hitched onto the bumper.

Sounds like you’re driving a truck solely for cosmetics.

Stop wasting your money and buy a car.

drewpweinerMD likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top