1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Full-time living out of my 35k mile 1st gen!

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Nick244, Apr 23, 2024.

1. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:23 AM
    Nick244

Nick244 [OP] 05’ RCLB 4.7 4WD with 27k miles

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    California
    Hey Y’all!

After getting back from a 2 month trip in Baja California, Mexico, I felt like there was no one better to share how stoked I am on my truck besides you guys. Thetruck has performed spectacularly, and this forum has helped me since before I even bought it.

I started building it out in January after graduating college with my girlfriend. By the end of February, we had crossed the border over to Mexico, where we spent most days camping and surfing.

The car didn’t see much dirt until Guerrero Negro, where I promptly got stuck in some deep mud looking for a sleeping spot in the salt flat. We got free, and then parked about 50ft away. I should have took that as a sign of impeding water levels, because the next morning I work up in about 1ft of sea water. We had taken the presence of another car as a sign of safety, but apparently they were about 2ft higher than us. After a panic attack from my girlfriend, and me being blessed with some drifting plywood, we managed to get to safety without the sea water submerging any essential components. We got it cleaned in town and stayed inland for a few days after that.

We spent many days ‘off the road’ with plenty of Baja being soft dirt and sand, but nothing too testing until we decided to take ‘El Camino Real’ or the 1 Highway. This is from Scorpion Bay to the East Coast, and looks innocent enough when you route your phone and it casually tells you to take this path. We were told by some local friends to not take ‘La Purimisa’ and by the time we came into town I was too stubborn to take the 4 hour detour around. Well… this path was about 45 miles of rock crawling, cliff hugging, tree scraping fun that took at least 3 hours.

All in all, the truck handled great, didn’t have a single issue (that I didn’t induce), came back with 35k miles on the odometer, and 2 happy campers.

We are currently heading to Alaska for some seasonal work, and then will beheading back South of the border this winter.

Ive been pleasantly surprised by my budget build. I got both my rear and front bumper off another tundra for $1000 right before we left (rustoleum didn’t stop the rust). I did an LED housing swap as well, but rarely drive at night so haven’t gotten to enjoy them much. The camper was less than 5k from USA Campers, with all accessories purchased and installed myself. The interior build was cheap besides the used domestic fridge, the Jackery we already owned, and the 8 inch RV mattress. I got a set of Open Country tires for $250, and haven’t had to do much maintenance besides fluids and the timing belt.

This truck was purchased last year for 10k at about 25k miles. Bring a trailer might have won if it wasn’t my dream truck. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Apr 23, 2024 at 9:31 AM
    gnatehack

gnatehack New Member

Member:
    Middle of Minnesota
    Vehicle:
    13 SR5 5.7 4x4 Bench
    PRO wheels. Maintenance
    That's some good livin' right there!!!!!

Nick244[OP], Weagle, 2mchfun and 2 others like this.
  3. Apr 23, 2024 at 10:11 AM
    The Black Mamba

The Black Mamba Black Sneks Matter

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    Black 00 SR5 AC 5VZ PreRunner
    Imma keep it stock
    That is Spanish for "The Punisher" :rofl:

Sounds awesome. Keep us updated with pics and vids :thumbsup:

4. Apr 23, 2024 at 11:14 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Damn you! Let the rabbits wear glasses!

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    I think that may be a typo, i.e. M and S reversed (La Purisima, "the purest"), which is a town SE of Scorpion Bay where you can tee into the 1.

Either way, the sleeping arrangements look awesome! Sounds like a killer trip. Wish I'd done more like this when I was a younger man.

Tlar25, Nick244[OP], Weagle and 4 others like this.
  5. Apr 24, 2024 at 8:32 AM
    JasonC.

JasonC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 4.7L AC Limited 44k mi
    Damn son. Stick around.

6. Apr 24, 2024 at 4:12 PM
    dirtnsmores

dirtnsmores New Member

Member:
    Southern CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4WD TRD OFFROAD
    Bilstein 6112/5100s, JBA UCAs
    That's awesome. How's the interior set up?

Weagle and 2mchfun like this.
  7. Apr 24, 2024 at 6:59 PM
    HBTundra

HBTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 2wd
    Is that sunset pic. with the dock taken at 'The Old Mill' in San Quintin ???
    If so, that place is cool . . . been there several times trailering a boat & enjoying some great fishing.

Sounds like you're doing it right ! Enjoy.

2mchfun, FrenchToasty and JPritch like this.
  8. Apr 24, 2024 at 9:15 PM
    Nicklovin

Nicklovin New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Vehicle:
    00’ 4.7 AC 4x4
    Wow that's awesome, I'm jealous. I wish I could get comfortable enough to do that

FrenchToasty, 2mchfun and JPritch like this.
  9. Apr 24, 2024 at 9:15 PM
    JPritch

JPritch New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Vehicle:
    17 TSS Crewmax
    You're very blessed to be able to live this way. Enjoy every moment of it. Thanks for sharing!

10. Apr 24, 2024 at 10:04 PM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Enjoy while you can!

11. Apr 24, 2024 at 10:22 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    This kid is living the dream..:D
    God bless him and the lady he lucked into putting up with him...:cool:

Tlar25, Nick244[OP], Weagle and 4 others like this.
  12. Apr 25, 2024 at 9:16 AM
    SharkDog

SharkDog New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Gray DC Tundra SR5
    5160/6112
    That's fantastic. I would love to see some more interior shots.

Nick244[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 25, 2024 at 11:42 AM
    rrod

rrod 2005 AC Tundra SR5 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC Tundra SR5 4x4
    Aluma Series, JBA UCA, Wheelers add a leaf
    I admire you and the place your at in life! Enjoy!
    Having said that be careful and don't ever get too comfortable down there. I love Baja, its probably my favorite place in the World. My first trip down there was an extended summer trip when I was 13 years young. I have been back many times. I have been every where on both the Sea of Cortez and the pacific side. As I said, I'm very familiar with Baja. On a quick trip to a fishing camp in-between Old Mill and Guerrero Negro, my father and I had decided to go fish the white seabass that had popped on the kelp beds in that region, it was a 14mile trip off the main road on a dirt trail that ended at the camp. At that time I was sponsored by some tackle companies and I had some high end fishing reels I was testing out. I had shown our captain in my naïve enthusiasm, bad move. Long story short, on our way out the following evening, we were greeted by three banditos who had blocked our passage at an area of the trail that was narrow and elevated. as we turned the corner, my jaw dropped at the site and before I could tell my Dad not to stop, I felt the back of my head hit hard against the seat as my Dad (ex-military, ex-cop, fulltime bad ass) punched the gas of his old Toyota p/u and somehow had navigated the front of their truck and the hill it was up against. How we didnt flip over, I will never know. It happened so fast! The next time we spoke, he asked me to tell him if they were in pursuit, I looked back and told him I couldn't see passed all the dirt and flying debris as he was going about 70- 80 miles an hour on this dirt road. Finally, we reached the main road; as the dirt settled, I could see they were gone. We headed straight for the border. My father said we could never tell my mother or wife otherwise we would never be allowed to go back down south! We never told them until years later on his deathbed, while relaying stories of his life. The actual full details are chilling as they had followed us along the different parts of the trail.
    *Moral of the story: BE CAREFUL down there. I have been extended so many kindnesses by the people of Baja and Mexico in general but always be ready and cautious! Rare, but when it goes bad, there's little if any help. Sorry for the long story.
    Oh, about a year later in the Western Outdoor news, Fred Hoctor (writer of Baja Beat) wrote a story about two Americans that had been jacked of vehicle and possessions- in the same vicinity, one killed the other survived and made it out on foot.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Tlar25, Sunnier, JasonC. and 5 others like this.
  14. Apr 25, 2024 at 1:38 PM
    Nick244

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    California
    Pretty simple. Big bed, small fridge, and a pullout kitchen

C7D98761-82FB-47B8-AFE8-15706A731CBB.jpg

15. Apr 25, 2024 at 1:40 PM
    Nick244

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    California
    It is! I did my first fishing trip there and caught like 8 yellow tail

Wallygator and HBTundra[QUOTED] like this.
  16. Apr 25, 2024 at 1:42 PM
    Nick244

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    California
    Just posted one, but not much to see. Basically just a big bed and storage

17. Apr 25, 2024 at 3:59 PM
    SharkDog

SharkDog New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    2006 Gray DC Tundra SR5
    5160/6112
    Looks good!!

18. Apr 25, 2024 at 5:09 PM
    HBTundra

HBTundra New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 2wd
    Nice !
    I recognized the cinder cone / volcano or whatever they are called.
    There's a lot of interesting history there . . . as well as the area being super fertile for agriculture.
    Some of my friends would hunt black brant geese there back in the late 80's / early 90's . . . really good hunting.

Interesting trivia . . . . When it used to be called 'The Old Mill' the owner was 'Al Gaston' the inventor of the 'Black Box' used in the airline industry.
    He was a really cool dude . . . his daughters worked there as well. When you'd be eating dinner in the restaurant , he'd come around to each table and ask how everything was . . . he'd say things like, "Do You Need Another Steak"??? , or "Would You Like Another Lobster Tail"???? . . . then he'd yell out to one of the waiters / waitresses and say, "Bring another steak / lobster tail to this table" !!!!

Lots of good times there !!!

Tlar25, rrod, shifty` and 1 other person like this.
  19. Apr 25, 2024 at 8:28 PM
    JasonC.

JasonC. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Member:
    TX
    Vehicle:
    2001 4x4 4.7L AC Limited 44k mi
    (1) That Baja Beat website is amazing, I want to order some of his books.
    (2) Thanks for sharing that story of your dad—what a boss.

20. Apr 26, 2024 at 8:25 AM
    rrod

rrod 2005 AC Tundra SR5 4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Vehicle:
    2005 AC Tundra SR5 4x4
    Aluma Series, JBA UCA, Wheelers add a leaf
    -The Western Outdoor News was the Source back in the day. Fred Hoctor was the man, keeping us apprised of the latest info in Baja (I imagine he's long passed now, RIP).
    Thanks Brother and your welcome, I will never forget that day and still can see their stern faces, there were three man, all three were out of the vehicle with their hands extended (in standing push up position). Looking back, I think Centrifugal force (or Devine intervention) kept us from flipping!
    Thank you for the kind sentiment about my Dad- he really was a Boss!
    *Just for reference, this would have been 1994- 1996 era somewhere around Castro's camp.

Products Discussed in

To Top