1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Would an aftermarket HVAC fan be an improvement?

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by IowaGuy, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Jul 18, 2023 at 6:32 PM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    On one of the Tundra FB groups I am on someone suggested an aftermarket HVAC blower fan for improving air flow and I think their truck was a 2012. Would a new fan on a 2019 make much of an improvement? My fan still works ok, but the Tundra blowers have always seemed to be a bit on the weak side. This is the aftermarket fan that was recommended.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BRP6MZWK

2. Jul 19, 2023 at 7:55 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    It might but would be minimal. Replace your cabin air filter. Better yet pull it all the way out and feel how hard the AC blows with no filter restricting it

3. Jul 19, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    snivilous

snivilous snivspeedshop.com

Member:
    SW UT
    Vehicle:
    300k Supercharged 2008
    This is what I did. I thought my fan was jacked and replaced it and it didn't do shit. Unless there's something special about that fan, which it doesn't look like it. Usually the filter is clogged, and I think last time I just took the filter out completely since even clean it chokes the airflow a lot. I'll take more airflow in exchange for a little dust in the cabin.

4. Jul 19, 2023 at 8:00 PM
    Jeff_5_7

Jeff_5_7 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Houston Tx Area
    Vehicle:
    2007 RCSB 2014+ TRD Pro Conversion 5.7 4x4
    Full 2014+ Conversion Regular Cab Short Bed 4X4 2019 TRD Pro Grill, 2014+ Front End Swap 2014+ Interior/Dash Swap with TRD Pro Leather Seats, 2014+ Bed Swap with TRD Pro Stamping SOS 2/4 Drop Kit
    Same I haven’t had a cabin air filter in mine for like a year.

5. Jul 19, 2023 at 8:04 PM
    Shanet421

Shanet421 (Semi) New Member

Member:
    San Diego,CA
    Vehicle:
    2013 CM 5.7L 4x4 SR5 Super White
  6. Jul 19, 2023 at 8:22 PM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Too full to swallow my pride

Member:
    SW
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    NewImprovedRon, Y0TA PR0 and vipgs3 like this.
  7. Jul 19, 2023 at 8:27 PM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Too full to swallow my pride

Member:
    SW
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    In all serious though, what's the air flow of whatever aftermarket blower you want to install vs the OEM? That will tell you a lot. An aftermarket blower that's rated for the same air flow as the OEM is going to push the same amount of air volume.

Seafury likes this.
  8. Jul 19, 2023 at 8:41 PM
    FrenchToasty

FrenchToasty The Desert rat, 6 lug enthusiast

Member:
    First Name:
    Mo
    The SoAz….. big surprise
    Vehicle:
    2006 DC 4.88s Elocker and some other trippy stuff
    Bone stock
    FB has great adds

TRDFerguson and des2mtn like this.
  9. Jul 19, 2023 at 10:56 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    Running A/C with no cab filter will lead to an externally plugged evaporator core. Dust sticks to the condensation that forms on the tubes and fins like crap to a blanket, and will block all duct flow in time. My understanding is that these evaporators are a bear to R+R, so I’d recommend rethinking that idea.

In my experiences, Denso cab filters seem to be less restrictive than some others like TYC and Fram.

10. Jul 20, 2023 at 3:58 AM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Correct. Todays modern vehicles have AC systems that are alot different than the old days. I would rather change that filter every 6 months than have to pay for AC repairs.

11. Jul 20, 2023 at 4:11 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Cool story, but did your new TTV6 tow a shuttle?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    I'd say if your a/c isn't working well maybe you have other things to consider. Maybe bugs or debris clogging the condenser, maybe too big of a auxiliary tranny cooler blocking too much condenser, maybe some other previous owner ran without the filter and now you have a clogged evaporator, maybe you need better window tint, maybe change your clothing, maybe park in the shade and walk a bit, etc. I can honestly say that my truck is pretty cool even with the fan on 2 or 3 in 100+ temps so I don't think any fan is going to fix it. Just my .02!

Y0TA PR0 likes this.
  12. Jul 20, 2023 at 5:57 AM
    IowaGuy

IowaGuy [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Arizona by way of Iowa
    Vehicle:
    2019 SR5 upgrade MGM
    In Process
    I recently changed my filter and my system works just OK and the AC is cool. It just seems like a much lower air volume compared to other vehicles where you can't really have a conversation over the blower noise when it is on high. It has also been 110+ degrees here for the past week so it always takes much longer to cool the truck down when I leave work.

The speed of the aftermarket blower I linked is 3250 RPM. No idea what the factory one is rated.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2023
    Taterhawk likes this.
  13. Jul 20, 2023 at 6:44 AM
    RichterScale

RichterScale I identify as a potato

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    WNY
    Vehicle:
    2021 DCRB as base as it gets
    pin stripes (+5 hp)
    The air moves over the evaporator coil, which removes heat and moisture. Moving the air past the evaporator coil faster, or too fast, doesn't translate to colder air. Moving the air too fast actually makes it more difficult for the evaporator coil to remove the heat.
    You can try little things to mitigate heat buildup in the first place: If you can't park out of the direct sun, use vent shades and leave the windows cracked a little, use a windshield reflector (if I need to use one, I shut the truck off with the wipers on and in mid swipe position, them put the window reflector under the wipers, on the outside of the windshield), use the AC on recirc mode so it's not constantly trying to remove the heat from the outside air, etc. I usually roll all the windows down when I first pull away from the car being parked in sun for a while. I let the wind blow out as much heat as possible. Even if it lowers the temp 5*, it's that much less work/heat for the AC to remove after I roll the windows up.
    Also, the heat that the evaporator coil removes,....it then has to send the internal gas to the compressor, where it's compressed and then it releases it's heat to the atmosphere through the condenser coil (near the radiator). The hotter it is outside, the smaller the temp difference and the slower the heat transfer to the outside.
    It's essentially like trying to remove the water from a leaking boat with a rag. Soak up the water, then ring it out over the side. An AC system is essentially bailing heat from a space, not "making cold". Hopefully any of this is helpful.
    A faster moving fan won't necessarily speed up that process. I would replace the cabin filter more often.
    Of course, there could always be an actual issue with the system if you're not feeling cold air.

14. Jul 20, 2023 at 7:15 AM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    If you don't have a remote start, it really comes in handy for this..:thumbsup:

Good luck..

Seafury likes this.
  15. Jul 20, 2023 at 7:18 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Cool story, but did your new TTV6 tow a shuttle?

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Another cheap option would be to pull out the current blower and oil it a little bit. You just might get lucky and gain a few more CFM of airflow with minimal expense and waste.

16. Jul 20, 2023 at 8:11 AM
    Jaypown

Jaypown New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Rubber City
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD Sport CM 4x4 MGM
    What makes you think your current fan is weak? Is it just quieter compared to other vehicles like you said? Or is air movement really actually slower? For obvious reasons, i've noticed the air blows way stronger out of the top vents compared to top and floor vents.

Cooling down a vehicle parked in 110 degree external temp (god only knows how hot internal) is going to take a little bit of time no matter what. That's a lot of heat to convert to cool air.

17. Jul 20, 2023 at 8:26 AM
    chrisf111

chrisf111 New Member

Member:
    I've used this product: Lubegard 96030 Kool-It Evaporator and Heater Foam Cleaner

I sent it through the passenger wheel well and sprayed the coil like that. I actually taped a horoscope camera to it to make sure I was hitting the fins. Something like that may clear any buildup that has developed and is blocking air flow. Likewise, they make a product for the condenser. If it's clogged with gunk and bugs it can reduce efficiency.

As others said, 1st step is removing the filter and confirming it's not restricting air flow.

If you do think the fan is underperforming it's cheap/easy to toss in a new fan.

The ceramic tint will cost you a few hundred but will improve AC performance. There are two sides of the equation. How much cool air you can bring in, and how much heat you can keep out. 5% on the sides and back and a ceramic clear or something moderate on the windshield.

Try to minimize the amount of stuff you keep in the cab. The more thermal mass the harder it is to cool down. You can cool down air fast, but if you have tools or something getting scalding hot it takes longer to get rid of that heat.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007PHD0S?ie=UTF8

Seafury likes this.
To Top