1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Wheel Corrosion

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by BigDave75, Oct 11, 2021.

1. Oct 11, 2021 at 5:30 PM
    BigDave75

BigDave75 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra
    Hey everyone, when I bought my ‘12 Tundra it had corrosion on the wheels, I did find online to clean the wheel using a wheel cleaner or degreaser, then to use a wheel brush for cleaning, dry the wheel off, then use a super fine or ultra fine sandpaper to get rid of the corrosion, then a wheel polish, is this correct or does anyone have any other ideas? Looking for a diy, ultra inexpensive way to make them look better without breaking the bank, thanks all.

F22C20DA-B67A-4BC0-B750-71C5B12A1D72.jpg

2. Oct 11, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    1P7R9O4

1P7R9O4

Member:
    AZ
    Vehicle:
    ‘17 White 1794 Pro
    Probably going to have to have them refinished to really get those corrosion spots corrected…although lots of OEM take-offs come up for about the same cost of having a set refinished

TechWrench likes this.
  3. Oct 11, 2021 at 5:44 PM
    BigDave75

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra
    Was hoping to not do that, still up in arms what exactly I’ll do.

4. Oct 11, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    TechWrench

TechWrench New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Hawley, PA
    Vehicle:
    '08 Tundra White, DC SR5 5.7, TRD Off Road Pkg
    Toyota Bedliner, Under Cover Bed cover, Oem back-up camera system.
    I had the same problem with the OEM alloys on my '08. The inside surface of the 'barrel' was so corroded that the stick-on wheel weights wouldn't stay in place. My brief look into pro refinishing indicated prices starting at $200. per wheel and up. I eventually found a set near by for $400, that came off a 2013. Not perfect, but way better than mine. After having the old tires mounted on them removed, I scraped, sanded, wire brushed, and buffed the barrel surfaces. Then painted them a neutral gray gloss to seal and provide a good surface for wheel weights to stick to. I tested the TPMS sensors, and installed new seal kits in all four. Had tires swapped from old wheels to the 'new' ones and am now ready for next spring's winter to summer swap.

I believe the front surfaces on those wheels are machined. Removing the 'divot's' in the surface, and making them look anything close to new, isn't going to be easy.

5. Oct 11, 2021 at 7:26 PM
    BigDave75

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra
    Wondering if I sand the blemishes down on the front to a matte or flat finish that would ruin or hurt the wheel itself, not big on flashy chromey, bright wheels anyhow. Idk.

6. Oct 11, 2021 at 7:45 PM
    TechWrench

TechWrench New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Hawley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Your wheel corrosion looks like my old set. On my wheels, and in your pics , the corrosion looks like in spots, the smooth surface has eroded away, down to the raw alloy below the surface. It would take a lot of 'sanding' to get down to clean metal, and you would have a depression left to fill, in order to bring it back up to the original surface level. And you literally have hundreds of these corrosion spots to fill. I looks to be a LOT more work than it's worth, IMHO.

7. Oct 11, 2021 at 7:52 PM
    BigDave75

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Nebraska
    Vehicle:
    2012 Toyota Tundra
    That’s kinda what I’m thinking, thought I’d at least try.

8. Oct 11, 2021 at 7:55 PM
    TechWrench

TechWrench New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Hawley, PA
    Vehicle:
    Good Luck.

9. Oct 11, 2021 at 9:15 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Internet Certified Forum Mechanic

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level , GoodYear helper air bags , DayStar air bag cradles, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch , White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, White AutoBots winch hook, Trail Ridge mirrors , 20x9 Creeps rims , 33x12.50r20 RoadOnes , Black Hart cross drilled n slotted rotors , Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. unknown Cat-Back exhaust.
    I got rid of mine due to corrosion , but sand blasting them and repolishing or silver paint and clearing is the best.

10. Oct 11, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC tundra lame-o 2wd
    It would likely be cheaper to buy some OE take off wheels from a newer tundra than refinish those

11. Oct 12, 2021 at 6:37 PM
    audiowize

audiowize New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul B.
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra SR-5 4x4 5.7
    I got 2020 Tundra takeoff wheels when figuring out how to deal with this on my truck. It was about $300 for the wheel set. I would suggest buying a new set of tire pressure sensors to hand to whatever tire shop you use to swap over your tires.

BigDave75 [OP] and Hbjeff like this.
  12. Oct 12, 2021 at 7:56 PM
    baraynavab

baraynavab New Member

Member:
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax 4x4
    Yeah as @Hbjeff said its probably cheaper to just get OEM swaps then to try fixing this problem DIY. I found same set wheels for $100 for 4. But I am in Atlanta. NE I dont know if you find some. But I am sure in NE there might be more trucks.. so U may luck out to finding other Tundra OEM swaps for a decent price.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    Hbjeff likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top