1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Transmission Pan Drain plug washers

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Sunfish, Jul 19, 2022.

1. Jul 19, 2022 at 4:03 PM
    Sunfish

Sunfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 4X4 CM Limited
    I forgot to get these when I was getting all the stuff together to service my Transmission so its Sunday and I thought that I might pick these up at one of the local parts places. WRONG
    None of the three local parts houses carry them because I'm sure they don't make any money on them. The strainer, gasket and O-ring were $133 and they had to order them. So Monday was hell day on Tuesday I stopped by the dealer and tried to buy them and they told me they only had one and I would have to order the other one. I went off. I said how do you service the transmissions without the crush washer and he promptly pulled out this paper telling me the transmissions with WS never needed service. I promptly ask him what kind of Kool-Aid are you drinking because there is no fluid that does not wear out. I went on to tell him that WS was shit and not even Synthetic. It then went to the reason Toyota used WS was a cost savings per unit and I told him I was very sorry I bought the truck from him and if I didn't have too, I wouldn't even drive by their location. Never buy anything from Gallatin, TN Toyota

2. Jul 19, 2022 at 10:51 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra CrewMax Platinum
    I've never replaced those crush washers and I've done 3 drain and fills, never had an issue. That said be VERY Careful getting those pan bolts out. I thought I would be smart and pull one bolt out at a time and clean them up, apply anti seize and put them back in. Truck only has 33k miles on it so wanted to make sure I could actually get them out down the road if I needed to. I hit them with PB blaster a couple days before and right before. All of them came out, until the last one, and it snapped. So now I do need to drop the pan to get it out so figure I'll replace the filter while I'm at it. I ordered some stainless bolts to replace them all with as well. Im glad you just posted this though because I didnt realize that I was going to need an O-Ring for the filter. Which then made me realized I ordered the wrong filter! I ordered 3533034010 which is for first Gen tundras and should have ordered 3533060070. They look exactly the same and the gasket is the same part number as well but figure better safe than sorry, also for what ever reason the second gen filter is about $30 cheaper than the 1st gen. Example of what the pan bolts look like after just 33k. Its because that gasket is so thick that the threads of the bolts are exposed allowing them to easily corrode.

20220716_004731.jpg

3. Jul 19, 2022 at 11:19 PM
    737fixer

737fixer New Member

Member:
    If you're going to do a job do it correctly. Crush washers are a one time use item but go for it if you want. I'm sure some people wash out their condoms and never pay child support.

Transmission will require two washers and one O-ring. These numbers are good for every Tundra ever made along with the vast majority of all Toyota/Lexus vehicles since mid 90's.

35178-30010 - you will need two of these. One for drain plug and one for fluid leveling or overflow plug.
    90301-15004 - one of these for the 24mm fill plug. This one most likely won't need changing but there cheap.

Only issue is the two crush washers(35178-30010) are normally available at ever dealer in N. America but the single O-ring is almost never in stock at dealerships and need to be ordered online.

stevesgraytundra likes this.
  4. Jul 19, 2022 at 11:26 PM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    Lol I'm not arguing that they should be replaced. Im just saying you wont have an issue if you dont. I used to replace every single crush washer on everything I changed the oil on, and still do on things that I have crush washers on hand for. They are simply to help prevent you from over torquing the bolts. I dont over torque things so I dont worry about it. The silly washer Toyota uses on the oil pan isnt even a crush washer and mine has been stuck to the pan since i did the first oil change, I even had a new one ready to go on but Im not damaging my pan trying to break it free, so it can stay there for ever if it wants to.

5. Jul 20, 2022 at 2:59 AM
    Sunfish

Sunfish [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    17 4X4 CM Limited
    My pan bolts came right out no problem. The drain plug and check plug were tight and popped pretty loudly. My transmission was low, and it has never been checked I measured 5 1/2 quarts total. Everything looked pretty normal in the pan for 56,000. The magnets had some black crud on them, but no sharp pieces and the strainer looked fine. I also wanted to pass on that it only took about 6 minutes for the Drive light to come on and in less than 10 it started blinking. The thermostat was pinned open also.

Joe333x likes this.
  6. Jul 20, 2022 at 11:27 AM
    Joe333x

Joe333x Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    That's great to hear, probably depends on if you live where they salt the roads in the winter on how easy they come out. Seen horror stories of sometimes half of them snapping.

Products Discussed in

To Top