1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tire/wheel fitting - 32x12 on a DC 2WD with least neg offset and lift

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Weagle, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Mar 10, 2024 at 10:07 PM
    whodatschrome

whodatschrome New Member

Member:
    North of North Plains, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra 4wd AC, 2004 Tundra AC 2wd to 4wd conversion no ABS
    lots of dents
    I was going to comment on your previous post on how it will be more of a pain to load up your KTM if you lift your truck, but you beat me to it with this posting. My 4WD AC is still stock suspension height, but i do have 265/75-16 tires on it. No way do i want to lift my truck at all. Maybe if it was a dedicated wheeler, but my truck sees actual work work (abuse?)...both on and off road. If my truck was taller, then it would be even more difficult to load it with 150~200lbs of wet firewood rounds! Then it would also make the truck more top heavy with 1500~2000lbs in the bed while side hilling...where there are no trails.

Side note, my riding buddy bought a new 2wd Chebby colorado (mid side truck) a couple years ago. A week after he brought the truck home he lowered the suspension 3”. I’ll tell you what, it’s awesome to load up bikes in his bed. And he doesn’t have any sort of issues with the lack of clearance when driving off the beaten path on the forest access roads.

KTM_AJ421[QUOTED] and Weagle[OP] like this.
  2. Mar 11, 2024 at 7:21 AM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    265/75r17 M/T Baja Boss AT 17x8.5 -10mm SCS Ray 10’s Bilstein 5100’s 2nd notch
    I’m with you I don’t really want to lift my truck but it could use a little more ground clearance for when I go riding. Some races are out in the middle of nowhere and we’re driving and parking in fields that aren’t mowed very low and I’ve hit a few unexpected objects hidden in them.

I wish I could get new OEM springs with bilstein 4600 but there aren’t really any options out there so I figured the 2883’s would be closest and get the best ride. I don’t really want to do 5100’s on anything but the lowest notch

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  3. Mar 16, 2024 at 5:38 AM
    Weagle

Weagle [OP] Where the hell did I put that socket?

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra SR5 DC 4.7 2WD LSD towing pkg
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    You were so right about that lift.

This new tire wheel combo is just under 1-1/2" taller, which means no more than 3/4" lift for the truck cab. I really feel like it would be best to bump my coils up to the next perch on the 5100's even though so far so good with the pinch weld mod.

as it is, I seem to be on that bubble where it's starting to feel like I'm having to climb up and I hate to push it even further. Those 32 inch tires feel like a huge difference in cab height

I'm probably around 1-3/4" higher than factory with the new treads and bilsteins combined. no way do I want to be approaching 3 inches or more

4. Mar 18, 2024 at 1:25 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    how do the 265/76’s fit on your truck any pics? Any rubbing. I’m pulling what’s left of my hair out over here going back and forth between 265/70r17 and the 255/70r17. Wanting to stay lower but also don’t want to give up and sidewalk bulge to protect my wheels.

I know the 255’s are lighter and cheaper and probably a better fit but I can’t make up my mind.

5. Mar 18, 2024 at 5:03 PM
    whodatschrome

whodatschrome New Member

Member:
    North of North Plains, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra 4wd AC, 2004 Tundra AC 2wd to 4wd conversion no ABS
    lots of dents
    The 265/75-16 BFG AT tires that i run just barely kiss the frame every one in a while at full lock. It’s not an audible rub whatsoever. The only reason i noticed is that there’s a smidge if paint worn off on the frame. Keep in mind that my tires are worn down to somewhere around 70~75%. I do have the front tires aired up to around 40psi when i’m hauling a heavy load...not that it makes any sort of difference whatsoever, because a heavy load in the bed will actually transfer a decent amount of weight off the front tires.

And the absolutely only reason i went with a 265/75/16 tire was because i found them in the back of my shop (yes, i forgot i had them). I would have preferred to have smaller and more narrow so that i could get better fuel economy and a lighter weight tire in general (less wear and tear on suspension components).

Also keep in mind that a taller tire will undoubtedly sap HP from your engine. It’s something that’s very rarely discussed here, but i feel as though it should be a sticky at the very beginning of any lift height or tire height thread! Lowing your ring and pinion will get most of the lost power back, but it will still be nothing like the little stock height 245/70-16 tires. A 4.7 will light up those lil’ guys with very little effort. I swapped out my stock 3.9 R&P for a pair of 4.10 that i found in a junkyard Sequoia. It turned out to be a very wise in investment for me and my truck.

9DA7853A-3C81-4AF1-8EDD-90FE0DBB6CE5.jpg AC61605D-3400-44E1-B2A8-662F78396623.jpg

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  6. Mar 21, 2024 at 10:03 AM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    Here you go man. Ignore the dent in the side haha

IMG_6922.jpg

whodatschrome and Weagle[OP] like this.
  7. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:38 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 5100's with 2883's - close to 2" Replacing the 2883's and going back to the bottom perch ASAP -mobile/apple play stereo with sub and backup cam -Power stop HD front calipers and rotors for towing -20" wheels with 32" tires (305/50's) Toyo AT 3's with no rubbing -Westin nerf bars -Detroit axle new (not rebuilt) steering rack with poly bushings, inner and outer TRE's -Suspension Maxx extended front sway bar links -Overland tuning - medium level -Power front leather seats and steering wheel from 06 Sequoia -fully de-chromed/blacked out trim -all light housings incl 3rd brake light and tag lights replaced with smoked lenses, LED where appropriate -mini projector headlights -fully rebuilt trans and new torque converter -new complete drive shaft with spicer u-joints and carrier bearing -all LED interior lights including backlighting -new lower window seals for all 4 doors -all new hardware and clips for tailgate Next: Dirty Deeds racing exhaust with LT headers, yellow box, 12 hole DD fuel injectors, redo or replace door panels
    @shifty` there you go - got that chrome trim piece blacked out.

now I just have to give the mirrors and rear bumper the same/similar treatment , and paint that little small grill insert on the front that has faded. That should about wrap up the exterior

I don't believe I'm gonna have to raise the coils to the next perch on the 5100s. The pinch weld mods seem to do the trick. I do have to probably use a heat gun on one of the plastic pieces.

by the way, I saw that shell you put on your bed. I love that. It's got me wanting one now. that would work so much better for my needs than any tonneau cover.

IMG_5706.jpg
    IMG_5705.jpg
    IMG_5701.jpg
    IMG_5703.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
  8. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:39 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I love that look of the paint color, tire and wheel combo etc. nice looking truck

KTM_AJ421[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:42 PM
    FishNinja

FishNinja HIDE YOUR DAUGHTERS

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd
    If the chrome goes that truck is basically done lol

edit: and tint

KTM_AJ421[QUOTED] and Weagle[OP] like this.
  10. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:43 PM
    FishNinja

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd
    Damnit I don't like skinny tires on trucks but this thing is cool

Weagle[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  11. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:43 PM
    shifty`

shifty` Everywhere it's six-sex-six by luck

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Looks awesome. And yeah, I went the most expensive route possible. First ordered a top-mount TonnoPro soft tri-fold cover for ~$200. Then ditched that when I caught a deal on a flush-mount Bakflip Fibermax for ~$400, tried to sell the TonnoPro, no luck, gave it to my parents to peddle on FBM in southern AL, they couldn't even give it away so handed it to charity. Then found my cap, for less than I paid for the Bakflip (which is now in my attic, visqueen'd, with its hardware)

The Bakflip was enticing because it left the stake pockets exposed and would hold mine and my wife's body weight, so I got a bunch of cool ideas about how to work with that. But honestly, I think a cap has more to offer. Just sucks I can't haul rock, manure, and mulch for the yard anymore, at least not until I rig up a hoist or something to hold the cap while I make runs. It's the only downside to my choice.

I do have a soft spot for that bronze/pewter paint color though.

12. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:45 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man.

In a perfect world I would've loved to have 60 or 65 series. But I wanted the wide tires and I knew 32 inch tall Max is the only way I can get the 305s without jacking it up two more inches and having two more inches of poke

in the end with those taller wheels, it's only about a half inch less sidewall than my old stock tires

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    FishNinja[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:45 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Oh, and you need to update your forum pic! You're a long ways from Kansas, Dorothy!

14. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:45 PM
    FishNinja

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd
    used cherry picker?

shifty`[QUOTED] and Weagle[OP] like this.
  15. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:48 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    i'm waiting until I get those last few exterior updates, and then detail and buff out the old paint that wasnt part of my new paint job. . Then it'll be ready to go.

shifty`[QUOTED] likes this.
  16. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:54 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    im working on getting rid of that. My 5100s come next week then all of the suspension/engine stuff is done. It’s been pretty expensive so far but I really have enjoyed it and love the way it looks.

IMG_6923.jpg

FishNinja[QUOTED] and Weagle[OP] like this.
  17. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:55 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    I've got a 2nd story deck above the driveway. I'd probably fab up a simple pulley system there, something I could back up to. I'm super limited on space, and honestly, I don't even know if I could pull into the garage if I had the thing hoisted up to the deck joists or not. My garage ceilings are only 9ft, IIRC. The garage door motor sits about 12" off the ceiling. The garage door slides between it and the roof of the truck, clears the shell by about 4". And with the front bumper of the truck on the wall of the garage I have about 6" clearance between the rear bumper and door when closed. No way in hell I can do a hoist in there. It's my one legit greif about the current house: No legitimate place I can legally park a bass boat without issues, and no way to install any type of lift in the garage. That would be different if the city would let me precast-pipe the ditch behind my house so I could put a gravel pad in, but with how commie they are about watershed in the city, that shit ain't ever gonna happen. I try and tell these guys, I probably GAF more about watershed than you do as an angler, but they aren't hearing it.

Weagle[OP] likes this.
  18. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:57 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    What size / specs are your tires and wheels? I really like the looks of those.

19. Mar 21, 2024 at 5:57 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
  20. Mar 21, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    thanks man the wheels are SCS Ray 10’s in 17x8.5 -10mm offset. The tires are Mickey Thompson Baja boss 265/70R17’s. I was going to go with a different tire but the discount tire I went to said someone ordered them and backed out so they gave me a great deal on them and they are 60k mile rated and get good reviews and I’m impulsive and impatient haha. I think it came out well.

21. Mar 21, 2024 at 6:00 PM
    FishNinja

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd
    LMFAO

Weagle[OP] and shifty`[QUOTED] like this.
  22. Mar 21, 2024 at 6:03 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I do like that look a whole lot better than my 50 series tires. I mean I like it a lot. I just was determined to get those 12" wide tires

23. Mar 21, 2024 at 6:03 PM
    FishNinja

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd

Dang, as an angler I'm surprised I've never heard the term "watershed"

24. Apr 1, 2024 at 3:33 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    Just posting an update. Getting close to completion with the exterior updates to go along with the new tires and wheels. I have a couple of mechanical and maintenance projects in the very near future, and then will attack the interior

IMG_5791.jpg
    no more chrome on the mirrors and with the other painting and replacements all chrome is now history.

Bulldog aerosol Adhesion promoter and SEM trim black aerosol. I think it turned out good, but next time I would use the bulldog adhesion promoter plus that is tinted to help ensure I have good coverage, even though I sprayed 3 coats

Used the same products to freshen up the small lower front grill insert

IMG_5781.jpg
    Same treatment to the Truck bed trim. it wasn't perfect. I had a few runs, but turned out much better than I was expecting

and installed the new black powder coated bumper from Amazon for $260. Surprisingly impressed with the quality. It appears to be an exact replica bolt holes and all and included new pads and tag lights. It came with hardware I didn't need because I didn't want to take it all off at the frame - just the chrome part. bolted right up to existing mounts

also replaced third brake light so now every single exterior light assembly is new, many are LEDs where practical

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5789.jpg

Lighting doesn't do it justice, but this shows where I had the oxidized hood, roof, and the new tailgate painted. Wish I would've done the front bumper as well - many white pitted spots from rocks and road debris over the years. My attempts to buff and cut only made it worse

IMG_5790.jpg

Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
    KTM_AJ421 and shifty` like this.
  25. Apr 2, 2024 at 4:35 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    Truck looks great man! I’m back to the chopping block. My 265/70’s with the 17x8.5 and -10mm back spacing rub harder than a back alley massage parlor. My 5100’s will be here Thursday and I’m really going back and forth between the 2nd and third notch. My heart tells me that the third will probably be best but I don’t want to go too high. All I want now is to eliminate the rubbing.

rubbing is on the front bumper inside corner and the mud flap so I can take most of that out with removal and trimming im hoping

26. Apr 2, 2024 at 4:42 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:

I don't get it. The friend of mine runs that same size tire without any trouble. of course he has his on factory 17 inch +18 offset wheels.

And my tire is 4/10 of an inch taller not to mention 1.57" wider

27. Apr 2, 2024 at 4:53 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    I don’t either. Hoping all is good Thursday

28. Apr 2, 2024 at 6:43 PM
    Weagle

Member:
    Prattville, AL
    Vehicle:
    I see now. It was the 8 1/2 inch wheel that threw me off. You have 1.6" more poke than he does. That's why you're rubbing on everything

which springs did you get? I got the 2883s on the lowest perch. That's supposed to be almost a full inch of lift.

My tires are 4/10 of an inch bigger and poke just a little more. I'm no expert, but I would be surprised if you need more than one or 2 inches

29. Apr 2, 2024 at 7:26 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    I didn’t end up getting new springs unfortunately. Going to run them on the stock springs hopefully just at the 2nd notch which is about .7” of lift hoping that’s enough

30. Apr 4, 2024 at 4:03 PM
    KTM_AJ421

KTM_AJ421 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    AJ
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2006 SR5 DC 2WD 4.7
    Update got my bils put on today stock coils 2nd notch. Got .75” of lift which was perfect to take care of that rubbing. Rode real nice on the way home. Touch firmer but overall felt tighter and more planted so I’m happy. Top pic is before bottom is after.

IMG_6924.jpg
    IMG_7024.jpg

abcinv, shifty` and Weagle[OP] like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top