1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

OFFICIAL: MY22+ Toyota Tundra - Throttle Lag/Hesitation From Stop Issue(s) - T-SB-0111-22

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by southdunes, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Sep 17, 2022 at 3:37 AM

81677 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    22 Tundra TRD OR
    i have the PC5 and the JB4, its damn near perfect now. no lag at all. i had to turn the PC5 down cause i was shooting out of stops like a rocket once i installed the JB4.

and for reference, i did have the throttle lag which is why i got the PC5, i had to have it in sport mode for it to "fix" the lag, but like you said i wasnt too impressed, it helped but only a little, but with the JB4 its working perfectly now. also i got mine on prime day for like 200$, i wouldnt be too happy about 300 but 200$ is worth it.

taschmidt86 and TJD1776[QUOTED] like this.
  2. Oct 5, 2022 at 10:40 AM
    TJD1776

TJD1776 New Member

Member:
    Good stuff! I appreciate you sharing that info.

It sounds like the JB4 is awesome, everyone says it's well worth it. I will definitely give that go. I think TOW+ and the JB4 will be perfect.
    To me the PC55 worked, but TOW+ worked better or the same.
    I need that F*** you $ to just buy all this stuff!

3. Oct 27, 2022 at 1:46 PM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD
    This throttle lag from a dead stop happened to me the other day and almost got me killed. I haven't replicated it and think it may have been fixed when the dealer updated my truck for one of the recalls.
    I don't trust this truck. I seriously miss my 5.7
    2022 SR5 CrewMax 6.5' bed.

4. Oct 27, 2022 at 1:55 PM
    wiretwister

wiretwister Sorta new guy

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 CM
    This has been my thought since the second I pulled off the dealer lot. My '20 sr5 was the best vehicle I've ever had.

SilverSurfer[QUOTED] likes this.
  5. Oct 27, 2022 at 3:32 PM
    mmasse

mmasse Digital Forensics Cowboy

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2022 Magnetic Grey Tundra
    For those of you who have this issue please please file a report with the NHTSA (US only I don't know the Canadian equivalent). Its the only way these issues get addressed.

6. Oct 29, 2022 at 9:39 AM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD
    I honestly have a fair amount of buyers remorse at this point. The constant issues with the infotainment center not loading profiles, not connecting to Android auto, randomly disconnecting. The back seat not folding flat. (The engineers responsible for this should be fired). Not having the edge of the bumper to use to step up into the truck bed. The factory spray liner pealing up because it was sprayed on plastic that wasn't sanded or primered. The stupid auto brake triggering while reversing a trailer. The side plastic panel on the seat breaking (waiting to find out if Toyota will warranty it). The throttle issues. The absolutely stupid safety feature that won't allow you to drive with the door open.
    I'm just not very happy with it.

OH! And the glare off the angles on the hood. Worst designed hood ever.

7. Oct 29, 2022 at 9:46 AM
    mmasse

mmasse Digital Forensics Cowboy

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2022 Magnetic Grey Tundra
    The hood issue is easily fixed with the application of a hood sticker or a wrap. The rest can be fixed with software updates and warranty work. Honestly people who buy 1 Gen releases should expect issues. That's why people usually wait a few years before purchasing a new release.

I am sorry you have issues but being on the tip of the spear your are bound to get a few cuts.

jblawrence25 and z-man like this.
  8. Oct 29, 2022 at 9:56 AM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD
    I didn't have the luxury of waiting a few years.
    Toyota won't warranty the bed liner. It's a work truck. They would be able to say wear and tear.
    The seat folding flat is not fixable.
    The bumper step is only fixable by replacing with after market bumper.
    I don't expect them to warranty the seat plastic.
    All software is updated and I still have constant issues with connecting.
    Nobody should have to spend a few hundred dollars to not be blinded by the hood.

Johnmatrix likes this.
  9. Oct 29, 2022 at 10:59 AM
    wiretwister

wiretwister Sorta new guy

Member:
    NJ
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 CM
    I agree with you on all points. My '20 sr5 was beautifully simple and I could trust it with my life. This new '22 seems like a liability. Way too much technology. I feel so disconnected from it mechanically. It rides like a dump truck, has tons of wind noise and auto start/stop is the worst addition ever put in to a vehicle. I want my old one back

Johnmatrix likes this.
  10. Oct 30, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    Phxdra

Phxdra New Member

Member:
    ARIZONA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra
    This just happened for the third time for me now. From stoped at a red light or pulling out of a parking lot. I start to accelerate like normal for about 5 feet and then a total loss of power. This leaves me coasting into traffic and about 2 seconds later it takes off like normal. I took it to the dealer, they drove it and said they couldn’t replicate the problem.

southdunes[OP] and Kap1 like this.
  11. Oct 30, 2022 at 6:57 AM
    dekeman

dekeman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Ottawa, ON, CANADA
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limted TRD
    Also bothersome is the movement in the hood's sheetmetal when driving over 90 km/h, like it's made of tinfoil.

12. Nov 1, 2022 at 3:29 PM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD
    Scary shit.
    You might want to see if there is an update for your computer. They updated mine for a different issue and it seems to have solved the problem.

Phxdra[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Nov 1, 2022 at 3:32 PM
    SilverSurfer

SilverSurfer New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tundra CrewMax TRD
    Dealer got back to me and Toyota is aware of the issue with the seats breaking and is working on a replacement part.

Henry1jg likes this.
  14. Nov 2, 2022 at 2:16 PM
    Seawolf

Seawolf New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4 Blueprint
    For me, up until a couple weeks ago, the throttle delay/lag only manifested itself if I came an "almost" stop and then tried to accelerate. Like at a yield sign or something where I may slow down to a near stop but not all the way. Seems like if I let it get below a certain speed, it will lag for a second or two. If I come to a complete stop, it behaves normally. I can replicate this 100% of the time. I took it into the dealer and they said this was "normal".

Well, fast forward to a couple weeks ago, and I was pulling out of a parking lot onto a four lane road when it did something that it hadn't done before or since. I was at a complete stop...had been for like 20 seconds. I finally get an opening and go to give it gas when it accelerated for literally a split second (just enough to get me moving out into traffic) and then...nothing. It didn't respond for a good 4 seconds or so. Maybe it wasn't that long...hard to say as I was sitting dead in the water in the middle of a four lane with no ability to accelerate watching traffic coming down the road at me...time sort of stood still.

I had my foot easily halfway into the throttle the whole time. Only reason it wasn't to the floor is because I didn't want to plow into the line of cars across the street at the Chevy dealership if the thing all the sudden came to life. After getting the rear suspension adjusted, this is the single most irritating thing about this truck. The suspension was a comfort issue. THIS is a flippin' safety issue. Saying that it's "normal" doesn't cut it. If these trucks were designed intentionally to rob you of power when you need it most to stay out of harm's way, then someone needs to be reprimanded.

15. Nov 2, 2022 at 6:39 PM
    ToyoMon

ToyoMon New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 White Tundra SR5
    I love this truck, but this happened to me for the first time today.

Had the truck since march, and like others i was at a stop sign and about to turn into traffic. The truck didn't respond for about 1-2 seconds, and my foot was halfway down when it finally took off. Rear wheels spun a bit since it was wet from rain.

I feel like it has something to do with it being cold? This is one of the first times i drove the truck from a cold start with the temperature in the 40s.

16. Nov 2, 2022 at 7:18 PM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    Just my opinion. When the truck is cold-cold start, the lag is much more pronounced. I think it's a combination of the engine electronic tune (Flash) and the Transmission. For the transmission to downshift to 1st gear, you must come to a 100% motionless stop-pause and then move forward. Believe the throttle lag is programed allowing transmission to complete the downshift. If you are coming to a stop and roll through it, the truck does not complete downshift and it pulls away starting in 3rd gear.

Again, think this all by design. In comparison to a 5.0 F150 with the 10 Speed auto, no throttle lag and the transmission completes solid downshifting. I truly believe Toyota is aware of the issue. All of us need to keep pushing for cases opened and also contact NTSB. The lag is dangerous during the cold morning starts. It does substantially improve once the truck warms up.

ToyoMon[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 3, 2022 at 6:45 AM
    Seawolf

Seawolf New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Toyota Tundra Platinum 4x4 Blueprint
    It's possible that cold weather may make it worse, but having driven through the hot summer months in the south I can definitively say that cold temps are not the primary cause. Also not refuting your claim about the transmission staying in a higher gear because I have no way of knowing for sure, but in my case the truck does not lug the engine as though it's in too high of a gear. When this happens, there is no perceptible noise coming from the engine indicating that it's trying to go but just doesn't have the right gear. It feels and sounds like if you were just sitting with the truck off and pressed the accelerator. It's just dead. I have a fairly steep driveway and if left to its own devices, the truck wants to climb it in 4th gear. You can definitely tell the engine is working harder due to the low speed and high gear, but to its credit it does the job just fine. So being in too high of a gear during these situations doesn't seem to be the case. There's just no response at all even on flat ground.

18. Nov 3, 2022 at 3:07 PM
    TexasCabledawg

TexasCabledawg New Member

Member:
    My dealer service manager told me there is a problem with the cam mags in the spherical transfer coupler under the mid mount throttle initiator.

19. Nov 3, 2022 at 3:38 PM
    mass-hole

mass-hole New Member

Member:
    It probably is. How do you think they got the truck down to a featherweight 5500 lbs :rofl:

20. Nov 3, 2022 at 3:44 PM
    korslite

korslite New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Bellingham, WA
    Vehicle:
    2022 SR5 TRD OR 6.5' Bed
    [​IMG]

Breathing Borla likes this.
  21. Nov 3, 2022 at 8:04 PM
    Hadelson

Hadelson New Member

Member:
    Allentown - Pennsylvania
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra TRD Pro. Fun Ride 2019 RS3 Roush SC Mustang
    Couple of long trips and now issues with Hood vibration of moving. Running anywhere from 70-80 MPH.

22. Nov 6, 2022 at 3:20 PM
    Jthawks

Jthawks New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Vehicle:
    2022 tundra limited silver trdoffroad
    i only run 87 here in Denver. Its considered mid grade cause 85 is regular here due to elevation. I will not use 85 due to I feel less power, less fuel economy also. Truck runs great on 87, no need for 91 and above. I been thinking of running clear gas for awhile. Here its 88 octane. Ethanol free gas incase you didn't know. Still on the fence to try it for a few tanks worth.

23. Nov 6, 2022 at 4:14 PM
    TopTierToyo

TopTierToyo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Tundra 4x4 Limited
    Im starting to see that the throttle lag/surge makes this truck even more impractical to use off road. I can be slowly crawling up a hill (without spinning tires) and the engine will just cut all power, go down to idle, and sit there for the 1-2 seconds. This kills all momentum, and then the engine immediately kicks back to normal so I just sit there spinning tires. This is all with zero change to my pressure on the throttle. I've never seen such bizarre behavior from a vehicle

24. Nov 6, 2022 at 4:29 PM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Y’all should have bought the hybrid

25. Nov 6, 2022 at 4:43 PM
    Eric_1980

Eric_1980 New Member

Member:
    Is this with traction control on or off?

26. Nov 7, 2022 at 2:32 AM
    TopTierToyo

TopTierToyo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Tundra 4x4 Limited
    Off or on, it doesn't seem to change how the throttle goes flat for a few seconds. It acts just like I've found when rolling through a stop, and how others have described on here

27. Nov 8, 2022 at 9:06 AM
    Toyota1234

Toyota1234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Vehicle:
    2022, army green limited, off road, DC
    I feel the longer I have had this truck almost a year, the worse this gets. It’s still not horrible and I would say it’s never been more then a second of delay more like 1/4-1/2 second. And it only seems to happen in normal mode. Not in eco or sport. I haven’t had any of the recalls done yet so I can’t comment on that. And it only happens when barely pushing the peddle not if I floor it.

28. Nov 8, 2022 at 8:17 PM
    4wd TRD PRO

4wd TRD PRO New Member

Member:
    I thought I was experiencing this too on my hybrid but it turns out one tire would ever so slightly spin like with no sound and it would kick in the traction control and fall on its face.

29. Nov 12, 2022 at 2:16 AM
    Just T

Just T New Member

Member:
    I just got rid of my Tundra. After escalating the issue, no success in identifying or correcting it. Maybe it really is turbo lag. Whatever it is, it shouldn't be on the road, in my opinion.

30. Nov 12, 2022 at 6:22 PM
    Paul Moll

Paul Moll New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 TRD off-road
    We are getting our 1794 in mid Dec. It gets built this coming week according to the dealer.
    What are our chances of having this acceleration lag issue fixed by this time? Or is this a fundamental design problem?

Products Discussed in

To Top