1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Thermostat issue?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by Mr. Zamboni, Jul 7, 2024.

1. Jul 7, 2024 at 4:08 PM
    Mr. Zamboni

Mr. Zamboni [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Howdy,

Recently have ran into what I think is a thermostat issue.

Temp gauge creeps up to 3/4 after about running at 20000 rpm for about 20mins. At one point I had coolant overflowing from the reservoir. Never overheats. For a couple drives I’d rev up to 3-4 rpm and the temp gauge would go to half. Never towing.

Took it to the dealership and they couldn’t “replicate” the issue despite me telling them how to recreate the issue.

Im gonna start with replacing the thermostat but figured I’d ask if anybody has had a similar issue?

Dealership said no leaks and water pump is operating appropriately. Fan is flowing fine with no resistance.

I’m a bit perplexed but think I’m gonna start with thermostat replacement.

Thank you in advance.

2. Jul 7, 2024 at 4:22 PM
    bflooks

bflooks Still a new member.

Member:
    Metrowest MA
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Limited 4x4 Turbokits.com Stage 1.5
    Turbokits.com Stage 1.5 kit (Precision 7675 + Intercooler) Innovate SCG-1 Boost Controller AEM water/methanol injection (500cc) Mishimoto dual-pass trans cooler with Turbokits.com mounting bracket Nitro 5.29s Powertrax Grip Pro Bilstein 5100 middle setting CB shims (2 driver, 1 passenger) Bilstein 5160 rears Firestone Ride-Rite bags Daystar cradles Roadmaster Active Suspension (RAS) HD TRD rear sway bar 18" TRD wheels 275/70r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W X2 Power Group 24 battery Power fold tow mirror (OEM) Valhalla's Shields (front/rear) Dirty Deeds Bamf 21" Stainless
    Check your radiator cap first and make sure it didn't physically fail and lose the bottom of itself. You can search about that. If it did, you need to find the other piece. If not, the tstat is pretty straight forward and easy.

Mr. Zamboni[OP] and Mdl like this.
  3. Jul 7, 2024 at 5:07 PM
    Mr. Zamboni

Mr. Zamboni [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cole
    Copy - thank you. Will report back

4. Jul 8, 2024 at 6:10 AM
    Canman

Canman New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 Crewmax Limited
    Seems to be pointing toward the Tstat. I just replaced mine with an OEM unit as part of a rad replacement and a preventative measure. The one I replaced appeared to be original, and I was surprised at how well it looked. The OEM one is a quality piece, but spendy - CAN$116.
    A while back I also replaced the rad cap and as mentioned, the gasket had come loose. Luckily, I caught it in time.

Products Discussed in

To Top