1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TFL Tundra vs Tacoma

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by nodak67, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Aug 14, 2018 at 8:27 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
  2. Aug 15, 2018 at 6:34 PM
    PA452

PA452 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 CM TRD O/R
    Personally I'm glad my Tundra doesn't have push-button start.

hillbillytoyo and Black Wolf like this.
  3. Aug 16, 2018 at 7:44 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    I miss it. having it on my 2014 4runner and then the 2016 Tacoma, going back to a key is just odd now for me.

I still try to push a button after 9 months with the tundra.

the convenience of having a fob when your hands are full to just open a door is a lot easier. with the tundra I have to sometimes in jumble my mess to get to my key to unlock the vehicle.

yep 1st world problems, but think of the kids lol

4sallypat likes this.
  4. Aug 17, 2018 at 2:52 AM
    Aron9000

Aron9000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    I shopped used a few months ago, figured out all the full size trucks(2010+Ram, 2007-2013 Chevy/GMC, 2007+Tundra) were about the same price. Also I will never buy a damn Ford, so I didn't even look at them. Figured I've had good service with Toyotas, GM trucks have issues(stupid cylinder deactivation causes engine problems), Dodge trucks, the only ones worth a crap have a Cummins engine, the rest of the truck is kind of meh to junk IMO. Maybe that changed with the 2010+ trucks(they do feel/look a lot tighter), but I wasn't going to find out.

Looked at Tacomas, yeah they were way cheaper if you got the poverty spec low riding 2wd models with a 4 cylinder, which is what my 2004 Tacoma was, I didn't want another truck like that. High riding 2nd gen Pre Runner or 4wd crew cab Tacomas were the same price as a Tundra. Drove a Tundra, that was that. Seats, seating position, ergonomics, Tundra is just a lot more comfortable truck than the Tacoma IMO, that's kind of what sold me.

Plus I've been wanting a full size for a while after driving Toyota mini trucks for years on end(had a 1985 xtra cab to get me thru college, a 1988, a 1993, and a 2004 Tacoma). Also I was going down to 1 vehicle, so the bigger full size Tundra made more sense, lots more room in the cab for people vs all those old Toyotas that had been a 2nd cheap vehicle to haul crap/drive when the weather was crap.

Black Wolf likes this.
  5. Aug 17, 2018 at 5:20 AM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    The only thing I had to readjust to from the key fob to the key with my Tundra was that my 16 Taco had the door handle that would automatically unlock when you grabbed it with the key fob in your pocket. For the first few weeks, I would walk up to my locked Tundra and try to open the door, and that obviously didn't work without hitting the unlock button on the key.

Regarding this video, it's been posted here before, but I seriously think they must have had the new Tundra in regular mode and the Tacoma in ECT mode for the results to be even close like that. The Tundra in tow/haul is obscenely faster off the line and up to speed than the Tacoma is.

Smoofers and Black Wolf like this.
  6. Aug 17, 2018 at 9:56 AM
    4sallypat

4sallypat New Member

Member:
    This is coming from 20 years of BMW crossovers, Mercedes SUV, and my current ride: Land Rover Discovery...

Yes I was shocked when I went to the dealer to test drive a 2018 Tundra I am in the market for and he handed me a key.
    I thought for a moment that it was a hideaway or valet key so I put it in my pocket.
    Then the salesperson said, you will need to use that key to start the truck.

I was totally aghast and asked what happened to the key fob and push button start....
    NO such tech on a Tundra - a very new Tundra!

Then I asked if the doors unlock when I tug on it - he said no. Use the remote key....

signalbobby likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top