1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Supercharged Tow Rig "Sleeper Build"

Discussion in '2nd Gen Builds (2007-2013)' started by snivilous, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Aug 29, 2019 at 3:07 PM
    snivilous

snivilous [OP] New Member

Member:
    SW UT
    Boosted Tow Pig
    218,900 miles. Drained and filled the transmission pan. Somehow I drained 3.5qts, filled it with 3.75qts, and then let it warm up and did the level check and 2qts poured out... Took it around the block and it feels fine, though I didn't get on it. Tomorrow I might add a bit more and check the level again, I can't believe it was 2qts overfilled.

2. Aug 31, 2019 at 3:12 PM
    07TundraCrewMaxFan

07TundraCrewMaxFan New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    2007 Black Tundra CrewMax 4x4 LTD
    Apple CarPlay radio/entertainment system, upgraded speakers, FlipBack bed cover
    Your build is inspiring. I want to do something to my CrewMax in regard to supercharging. Where should I start with the build sheet, or do you have one from your adventures that you can give?

3. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Boosted Tow Pig
    The only stuff I've done to the truck is listed in the first page. It's really pretty stock more or less. The only thing I did differently than most with the supercharger is I did all the "upgrades" in regards to the blower before installing it; ie I installed an oversized fuel pump and afr gauge and ran it awhile with those and monitored everything so I had a baseline of how the truck should act before the blower. Most people don't have an afr gauge at all, that to me was imperative considering the truck has over 200k on it. Otherwise there's nothing special. If you get a supercharger don't get the URD pulley, it's a waste of money.

Also, since I'm on here, I ordered the OVTune so hopefully get that soon. Sounded like it offered a lot more abilities than the HP Tuner offered. I'd still like to dyno it someday, but that's not a priority now since the guy will be able to dial in the ECU with the data logging capability. With the afrs so rich with the TRD tune I'd been looking for something besides the HP Tuner and a dyno (since it's 100+ out during the day) and I think this will be a better call overall and get the truck to stop running so rich.

4. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:20 PM
    07TundraCrewMaxFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    I have an AFR gauge on my 80 El Camino, with 750 Double Pumper Holley. Fine tuned machine.

5. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    07TundraCrewMaxFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    So no injector changes, and you have programing left to do. Good to know. I was told it was 150 hp out of the box. My motor has 124k on it and is solid, so I may do this very soon.

AZTundra likes this.
  6. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:22 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Boosted Tow Pig
    My FJ40 has a Holley double barrel sniper EFI in it. I like Holley's stuff, probably gonna run a full Holley setup on the 6.0 LQ4 in my buggy

7. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:23 PM
    07TundraCrewMaxFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    The AFR helps a lot with jet tuning and they are super easy to work on. Just remember to pull plugs and check temp on them when you are tuning.

8. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:28 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Boosted Tow Pig
    Injectors are upgraded, they're the ones that come with the supercharger so I'm not sure what their specs are or how they differ from stock (though they're physically quite different). Right now with the "TRD Tune" from Toyota with the blower it'll hit 9:1 afr with full throttle, and hit 11:1 before hitting boost so it runs insanely rich. From other builds I've read, mine should theoretically be in the ~550hp range. I've read differing ideas that the engine loses reliability fast over 600hp, so that's why I stayed with the "stock supercharger" and the "upgraded" pulley. Though with that said I live at 6000ft, and by calculations the smaller pulley should've made up for the elevation difference when I go to lower (2000-3000ft) elevation which is why I got it. So if I ever go down to sea level the key is just don't go WOT a lot, which the only time I'm at sea level is towing anyways. I'd have no issue running the blower on your engine or a higher mileage one, though with that said I don't even have 10k since installing the blower. There's lots of people who have had reliability and engine issues with the blower---but there's also a lot of people that drag race and beat on their trucks, so take their opinions with a grain of salt. If you use the blower for towing, passing people, occasionally going ham to have fun, but aren't sitting at full throttle for minutes on end or over and over rapidly, I think it's totally safe.

Watt maker likes this.
  9. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:33 PM
    07TundraCrewMaxFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    Ah, yeah, I am not a teenager, so that's out of my blood concerning a daily workhorse. Towing my El Camino to beat on the El Camino is the key. I'd want to keep it closer to 500 hp. Is there a way to dial in the boost to achieve this number? I also read that with the TRD blower a ECU re-flash isn't needed. Your thoughts?

10. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:42 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Boosted Tow Pig
    I'm not aware of a way to modify the boost. The valve that controls the boost, as I understand it, is vacuum operated so is more or less controlled by how open the throttle body is. I bet you could easily make a valve and put it inline with the vacuum hose to manually limit the boost--but I've never read of someone doing that. Otherwise it's down to just pulleys, and swapping the pulley is not easy, plus there are essentially no options for pulleys. So you're kind of stuck with 7psi unless you get creative. With all that said, Magnuson claims that the stock blower makes 505hp so I would just run it stock and you should be fine.

I would definitely reflash the ECU at a minimum. I drove around before I flashed it a bit, just to make sure everything was working and I had to find a place that would let me flash it anyways, and it seemed fine but I didn't push it. So maybe it's possible without a flash, I'm not sure.

On that note, I would NOT run a bullydog. That's what magnuson used to include (I think it's something different now) if you bought a new blower, so in that case maybe I would. But I've read lots of horror stories of the bullydog doing weird things with timing, afr being messed up, lots of issues. I would not run it personally, with or without a blower. Lots of forums seem to suck off bullydog, but the people I've seen with actual gauges and telemetry and testing have shown potential negative effects to running it. The bullydog is the "go to tune" people recommend. I specifically DID NOT get a bullydog, and it even set me back a few weeks trying to figure out where to get the TRD Tune installed since the dealership wouldn't call me back. But my opinion is one of thousands. Maybe I'm wrong. But I did a lot of research before getting, and after getting the blower. Food for thought is all.

11. Aug 31, 2019 at 4:58 PM
    07TundraCrewMaxFan

Member:
    First Name:
    Bobby
    Vehicle:
    I'm glad you mentioned that. I wanted feedback from someone who experienced both flashed and non flashed with the supercharger set up. I will do mine next year, as the total set up I want is gonna run me about 10k when all said and done.

12. Sep 23, 2019 at 6:10 PM
    snivilous

Member:
    SW UT
    Boosted Tow Pig
    Small update. Finally passed 220k miles the other day. Got the OVTune installed right before towing a Corolla up to SLC and then a crawler back down to Southern Utah. First time in awhile I've towed something actually, I think this was the first big trip towing since getting the supercharger and maybe the Kings, both of which I got for towing lol.

[​IMG]

I did a second transmission drain and fill before the trip and OVTune. I was more meticulous about following the procedure and actually filled it with almost 4 quarts this time which is what it should've been so I'm happy now. Then I got the OVTune in, Mat has been awesome to work with so far and I haven't sent in any logs yet. My afr was still super rich at WOT, so the same day that he sent me the base tune he sent me an updated tune after I gave him some afr/rpm data points, I still get super rich but it helped a lot. I can get into boost and still be at 14.7:1 where as before I'd be in the 11s before even hitting boost. The manual gear lock is awesome too, nearly the whole 300 miles or so to Salt Lake City I was locked into 6th with cruise control set at 86mph and she just chugged. I think there were three hills I dropped it into 5th and otherwise it just cruised. It's really nice since the truck will add throttle, and thus add boost, as needed since it can't downshift. So it'll come up to a hill and be at 2300rpm or whatever in 6th and can watch the boost get added in to climb the hill and the revs don't move.

On the way back from SLC I did notice some oddities, quite a few times the truck would over ride the manual control and I'm not sure why. Sometimes I could floor it and it'd lug, other times I'd barely touch it and it'd drop to 4th. I have a feeling it was a safety over ride since it was 90+ out for most of that drive back, plus a big head wind, and overall you gain a few thousand feet of elevation from SLC to where I live. I've been monitoring the transmission temperatures with the Torque Pro app and some custom code I found on the forum, some people have claimed it's not accurate but it seems pretty damn accurate from what I can tell. The tranny at the hottest would hit about 250F, and I had read the trannys get really hot and the light and gauge only move and come on around 300F. At the coolest it ran about 185-190 which makes sense that it'd match the engine coolant and no lower. Also something I didn't know until a few weeks ago, is that 4th and lower the torque converter will lock up and 5th and 6th it constantly slips. Driving up to SLC this wasn't an issue, but coming home the tranny would get hot on the hills so I'd drop it to 4th and the temps would instantly drop as it locked up. Another random bit of info is consistently the highest boost I'm seeing on my digital gauge is 5.8psi at elevation, but the first day of the OVTune with some "testing" I had it read all the way to 6.7psi which is the first and only time it's read above 5.8psi at this elevation. Not sure why that happened, or if it had to do with manually shifting the transmission and that helped it build boost or it was just an anomaly in the gauge (the boost reading is always finnicky, and my analog gauge usually reads higher than the digital anyways); but I thought that was interesting. That kind of wraps up the only updates to the truck lately.

NE_WARRIOR and AZTundra like this.
  13. Sep 23, 2019 at 6:39 PM
    koditten

koditten New Member

Member:
    Great info.

Presently looking for a SC myself. Great read to give me confidence in 132k Tundra.

snivilous [OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top