1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Possible scam ALERT

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by VR6T, Feb 9, 2024.

1. Feb 10, 2024 at 3:52 AM
    bmf4069

bmf4069 Yup, that's a whole ass truck in a dishwasher

Member:
    First Name:
    Beau
    TX
    Vehicle:
    02 AC sr5 4wd v8
    All the bass
    :rofl:
    Great response!

Yeah, that first reply is classic scam shit; nobody describes a car like that. Second reply cemented it just incase it was someone reading out of the brochure. Fleabay will NEVER "handle this for me".

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Feb 10, 2024 at 4:07 AM
    VR6T

VR6T [OP] In fealty to the God-Emperor I serve the Imperium

Member:
    Texan.... Big suprise
    Vehicle:
    00 Tundra Limited 2WD AC
    OEM+, 6+1 bastard pack, 4.08 swapped rear end, custom spring shackles, 3 inch flat lift. This list will grow
    Well its a good thing you were the seller then huh, thanks for your opinion i guess. Its nor just you, its a lot of yall here. I dont care what yalls opinion on a cheque is.

So next time i run across a 1st gen scammer I wont say shit in here. Half of y'all want to let the whole world know blah blah blah a cashiers cheque isnt blah blah blah and dont understabd the differences between the differnt types of check/ cheques.

3. Feb 10, 2024 at 4:11 AM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2024 Ferd F150 XLT, 2019 Super Tenere
    Trying not to mod it
    I understand it perfectly. It can be faked. If it can be faked, then it's suspect. It is way easier to fake a cashier's check than to counterfeit bills.

You're taking it personal and making baseless assumptions about everyone else's understanding of things for the sake of your own confirmation bias. Take it for what it is; good information, and apply it moving forward.

4. Feb 10, 2024 at 5:30 AM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    Sounds like a good deal to me in a pretty nice neighborhood. Maybe go for lunch with him afterwards….
    Seriously though….Yeah, hoping you walked away from this deal.

bmf4069 and VR6T[OP] like this.
  5. Feb 10, 2024 at 5:34 AM
    VR6T

Member:
    Texan.... Big suprise
    Vehicle:
    00 Tundra Limited 2WD AC
    OEM+, 6+1 bastard pack, 4.08 swapped rear end, custom spring shackles, 3 inch flat lift. This list will grow
    I posted an uodate yesterday, but i walked like 2 days ago. Just had to warn the rest of the 1st gen guys.

My sheriff buddy told me it could have also been a set up car jacking. Hey come buy this truck, and then you get steam rolled and your car gets stolen. I never even thought about that until yeaterday. But we'll never know cause im not that retarded to blindly follow someone to a known crime hot spot.

6. Feb 10, 2024 at 5:51 AM
    smokey0810

smokey0810 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '03 Tundra SR5 AC 4WD
    Probably how he keeps fresh inventory….

VR6T[OP] and Retired...finally like this.
  7. Feb 10, 2024 at 7:38 AM
    VR6T

Member:
    Texan.... Big suprise
    Vehicle:
    00 Tundra Limited 2WD AC
    if this were Houston with out a doubt lmfao

8. Feb 10, 2024 at 8:43 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    I hope you can avoid feeling offended. I see most of these agreeing with you, that the seller you've been in contact with is probably a scammer-- then, like every other thread on here, everyone adds their own ideas and advice, often a bit off topic, but we all get used to it.

The main example seems to be that many in here disagree that cashiers check are a "safest" financial conveyance in the current day. I used to use cashiers checks for major purchases but now I won't do it... unless issued at the seller's bank in my presence as someone suggested.

In advance of my last 2 purchases, I laid out cash notes so that the serial numbers were visible and photographed them. I made note of small markings added on some of the bills. Then packaged in a distinctive envelope, also photographed. My thought was, if I got ripped off, cops could find the suspect(s) but if need it to be easy to prove all money was mine, to get it back.

One of these transactions I did outside a police station, but I later learned there's no working, recording cameras in that area, so the next time I went to one of those quick transfer (pretend DMV) businesses-- cameras everywhere, and got tags and reg in my name immediately.

In these times, I would not accept a cashiers check as payment from someone I don't know; therefore, I don't even offer to pay that way, expecting a seller that doesn't know me to be just as leery.

9. Feb 10, 2024 at 10:56 AM
    Dirt Ferguson

Dirt Ferguson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Northern California
    I've sold 5 vehicles to private parties and they were all either cash or we walked into the buyer's bank and I watched the teller cut the cashier's check for me.That's the only way I feel protected, but everyone has different tolerances for risk and reward.

Thanks for pointing out the scammer, OP.

In my book, if it seems like a great deal and the seller is being evasive or just generally shady, walk away. It's never worth it. It's just a truck.

GODZILLA, Jack McCarthy and Sunnier like this.
  10. Feb 11, 2024 at 11:10 AM
    Fieldnstreamer

Fieldnstreamer Cold Researcher

Member:
    First Name:
    Sam
    Vehicle:
    2000 AC Limited 4x4 (R.I.P.),2006 DC Limited 4x4 Phantom Gray Pearl
    Kenwood head unit, backup cam,
    I wouldn't personally accept any form of check whether it's a bank certified or not unless the person was extremely and I do mean extremely unlikely to be scamming. Some people you can just tell that they are straight up but I don't expect people to trust me just as much as I don't trust them. I have a strict cash only policy for most items which are big ticket items and I even have a cash marker to make sure nothing's counterfeit. The only couple times I've ever taken a check was from some 80-year-old dude living in a mansion who probably wouldn't even know how to counterfeit a check because old people from that era just typically have better things to do and the other person I actually met in their bank and watched the bank print it out for me. Didn't want a check at all in the first place flr obvious reasons but he wanted to check because it was for business purposes and the deal wouldn't have happened at all if he couldn't have written a check and he was paying top dollar so I was happy to do with that one time. I just don't have the time to track someone down and repo my items if a check ever did come back bad. I'm friends with my Bank president and I generally handle all my wire transfers for large purchases and stuff like that directly with him and he has told me that bank checks can and have been fraudulent because he's personally seen bad Bank checks.

GODZILLA likes this.
  11. Feb 11, 2024 at 11:33 AM
    tvpierce

tvpierce Formerly New Member

Member:
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra AC SR5 4WD, 4.7 Automatic
    Why did you even bother with a check? If you're at the buyer's bank, and he has the funds in his account, couldn't they just hand you the cash?

12. Feb 11, 2024 at 12:00 PM
    Dirt Ferguson

Dirt Ferguson New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Northern California
    Just how the buyer wanted to do it at the time. Didn't bother me any.

tvpierce[QUOTED] and GODZILLA like this.
  13. Feb 12, 2024 at 6:56 AM
    FishNinja

FishNinja HIDE YOUR DAUGHTERS

Member:
    First Name:
    Lee
    TEXAN....big surprise
    Vehicle:
    06DC2wd
    Sounds like he wanted you to met off NW military somewhere

Products Discussed in

To Top