1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

P0335 Crankshaft position sensor and his camshaft friends

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by blackdemon_tt, Jun 21, 2024.

1. Jun 21, 2024 at 9:59 AM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt [OP] Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    Hello all,

07 Tundra 5.7l 298k 2wd. I don't think I've seen a solution to this issue. Most start, but don't come back to update any resolution. I don't have one at this time, but I'm dealing with this issue at the time. It is completely random, so it is difficult to troubleshoot as previous posters have stated. Most of the time it catches me with my pants down, so I can't troubleshoot the issue at the moment due to me needing to be somewhere, or my kids are with me, curtailing my available time to play with it.

I'm getting all the position sensor codes. Assuming the codes are being triggered by a no start issue. The most common thing I've noticed is heat, usually occurs on a hot day 90 degrees or hotter, while driving for an hour or more. Stopping the engine and attempting to restart it within a minute of turning it off, it will fail to start, sometimes it can sit longer and fail to start. I do get a click and nothing else. I don't think I hear the fuel pump running either. I do get the red car with key, meaning immobilized. It does happen with both keys, black one and spare key. Another thing I've noticed is the idle at full stop will drop from the 800rpm to about 560rpm and will hover there it also triggers shifting issues as if it's hunting for gears.

P0335 is the only confirmed code and does come with a CEL.
    These are pending codes here
    P0335 Crankshaft Position sensor 'A' circuit
    P0340 Camshaft Position sensor 'A' circuit bank 1
    P0345 Camshaft Position sensor 'A' circuit bank 2
    P0365 Camshaft Position sensor 'B' circuit bank 1
    P0390 Camshaft Position sensor 'B' circuit bank 2
    P0894 transmission component slipping

I've previously replaced: starter with a TYC unit, its about 6 years old about 80k miles, Starter relay and replaced the Crankshaft position sensor with an Import direct aftermarket unit. Assuming there was nothing wrong with the OEM one, I dropped it back in, idle was good for a month good idle and no failed starts, but now I'm back at a low idle and so far 1 failed start. Assuming its a wiring problem, I still have to test the wiring, check the flex plate and possibly consider a dying PCM. Both CPS units tested within spec, so I'm considering replacing the wire to the PCM, but I'll test all other avenues first.

2. Jul 8, 2024 at 2:25 PM
    blackdemon_tt

blackdemon_tt [OP] Battery Slayer

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 5.7l Tundra DC SR5 long bed 2wd
    TRD Sway Bar, Roll covers USA bed cover
    An update with this, I haven't gotten a failed start in about 3 weeks, maybe a little more... I did get some progress, which I'm now getting a sole P0010 Which is Camshaft A circuit open. Which is what I was suspecting, a short somewhere in the wire. This is a brand-new confirmed code as of this morning, but no CEL. On another note I almost overheated my transmission yesterday, it was 111 while going through the drive-thru at innout... I was hitting the gas intermittently, but I forgot that the transmission cooler doesn't have a fan on it... It got pretty close to red, we had to pull over for about 3 minutes and let it cool down. There was light traffic, but stop lights were synched for traffic as I caught my 2nd red light in a row, I pulled into a side road and let it cool off... Once I restarted it remained within normal operating temperature.

Products Discussed in

To Top