1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Official 2022 Tundra 3rd Gen Thread

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by ColoradoTJ, Oct 13, 2021.

1. Jan 29, 2023 at 12:53 PM
    ByeF150HelloTundra

ByeF150HelloTundra New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    yeah, it was some bed lights that I wired straight to the battery. Not included in the battery protection. Purpose of the post wasn’t to bash Toyota or the new Tundra. Just wanted to let everyone know about all the malfunction codes that come up

2. Jan 29, 2023 at 1:15 PM
    in_the_mud

in_the_mud GSD

Member:
    First Name:
    Raph
    Calgary, AB
    Vehicle:
    2023 Limited L TRD OR MBM
    Oh, good. Because we jumped on it like some corners were cut with battery saver system :rofl:

3. Jan 29, 2023 at 2:14 PM
    JJtruckon

JJtruckon New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JJ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra
    Undercoating
    So user error. Nothing poorly engineered.

4. Feb 19, 2023 at 9:27 PM
    Fxclm5

Fxclm5 New Member

Member:
    I want to plastidip my TRD sport rims bronze, but want to keep portions of it black.

I have seen some ppl buy rim inserts for the limited rims to cover up the machined portions and make them all black, does anybody have a link to these? thanks

5. Feb 20, 2023 at 5:38 AM
    Hella Krusty

Hella Krusty New Member

Member:
    You may want to pose that question in a new thread rather than have it buried in here. Probably gain more traction

Fxclm5[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Mar 2, 2023 at 8:25 PM
    vichmr

vichmr New Member

Member:
    Seeking advice on my Tundra 4x4 Purchase Decision Conundrum (and I did try to search for answers, but didn't have success.)

I've been trying to decide between a 1794 TRD OR versus a Platinum 4x4. I think both are winners and each have pros/cons for me, but what I'm really struggling with is the differences between the TRD features (MTS, Crawl Control, Downhill Assist & locking rear diff not to mention suspension) and the standard 4x4 of the Platinum. I prefer the darker look of the Platinum and if the TRD package was available for it, I'd already have it sitting in my driveway. But, that's not the case and so I'm wondering what other 4x4 TRD OR buyers/owners think about the differences and how the TRD features mentioned factored into the buying decision. It makes sense if the intent is to really off-road to the point where those features are truly needed, but I suspect some of these features are still beneficial in less extreme circumstances.

I currently have an '07 Tundra TRD OR 2WD that I bought new. I wanted a 4x4 but at the time I just couldn't swing it. So given the fact that I hold onto vehicles for a long time, I want to make sure I'm getting what I'll realistically use. I live in north Atlanta but have a cabin in the mountains of North Carolina that is likely my retirement home, so driving in snow is a given from time to time for years to come. I also get off road (sometimes with a 12' tandem trailer hauling firewood or my side-by-side) where 4WD is really needed and having it again will allow me to go some places I wouldn't in a 2WD. But, I'm not looking to take a $70k vehicle onto hardcore Jeep trails that I did as a teenager in my CJ5 either.

Also, I do think that a few times that I've been stuck in 2WD I would have also been stuck in a std 4WD because my son also got stuck pulling me with his F250 4x4 and it was on pretty flat, but mushy/muddy terrain. Here I suspect that the MTS might have made a big difference, but I have no experience with those driving modes.

So, if someone has experience where the MTS, Crawl Control and to a lesser degree the Downhill Assist really made a difference over standard 4WD, I'd like to know more about your particular circumstances. I get that the Platinum suspension isn't that of the TRD, but if I decide that I need something more, then I have aftermarket options like ICON or KING.

Sorry for the long write-up and thanks for reading since you made it this far and especially if you can provide any relevant feedback. Much appreciated!

EDITED: Well, after watching some really good videos on YouTube, I've answered a lot of my questions about MTS and learned about A-TRAC. I would still like to hear comments re: any comparisons people have with standard 4WD versus MTS/A-TRAC.
    Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2023
    cartage1 likes this.
  7. Mar 3, 2023 at 9:35 PM
    Mykeromachine

Mykeromachine New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra TRD Offroad
    I asked the dealer about it and apparently it's "safety" in the case someone tries to steal your truck. What I don't understand is, how far can someone actually get in my truck without the key in it...has anyone tested that?

GoFast157 likes this.
  8. Mar 4, 2023 at 4:46 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    23 Tundra Platinum Blueprint CM 4x4 5.5ft Non HV
    the easiest way to decide is how much off roading do you do? personally and since its the wife's truck about 5-10% is maybe off road if that. no point in getting the trd off road package. biggest issue is looks (read chrome). the only chrome on the on the platinum is the dark chrome on the front grille, otherwise there is none.

compared to the 1794, chrome everywhere, windows, front, handles, rear. just too much plus never needing the OR features makes an easy choice for exterior looks and bonus of black interior/headliner on the platinum.

Boerseun likes this.
  9. Mar 5, 2023 at 7:58 PM
    vichmr

vichmr New Member

Member:
    yes,I completely agree about the points you raised re: the 1794’s chromefest, though it is a little toned down in the TRD model if only in the grill.

So I assume you are loving your Platinum. Do you have long- or short-bed? Anything you would have done differently?

I’ll go back and read your posts to see what other nuggets I can glean. Thanks for the input.

10. Mar 6, 2023 at 7:35 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    my sig has all the info on the truck and mods i have on it so far. still waiting on wheels to arrive but they are already paid for. ordered them back beginning of dec-2022.

love the plat, but couldnt get techstream to work so i went and paid for 1 month of carista as i couldnt wait for summer to get here to change some stuff. biggest thing i did was turn off all the nanny's to reset to default and made them so they remember the last state when you turn off the truck. lane feature to off all the time was a big issue on our drive to bismarck saturday, got annoying changing lanes and it would force me back into the lane if i didnt use the turn signal (either snow patches, or water on road to avoid).

minor things we notice, but it could be our old age and we dont notice some of these (i will reference our old 2018 platinum below several times):

01. door seals whistling, dont notice
    02. plat badges, havent had an issue with them (but from what i heard, the cold states havent had issue during the winter yet)
    03. oem mud flaps are not long enough (read: the dont drop down enough to cover the auto boards from collecting snow)
    04. the tailgate button surround is kinda flimsy, it moves when you press around the button, same on the passenger side.
    05. interior led lights are very lacking (as noted by everyone) have to wait to see if a suitable sub comes along (from a reputable dealer)
    06. pairing the head unit to the app was pita, had to reset password and pin on the account to get it to pair with the wife's phone (she is the primary driver of the tundra)
    07. dont like that the remote start thru app, the truck doesnt show any parking lights on during remote start to let you know its running.
    08. rear under seat storage, wish these had covers/lids when you raise the seat
    09. kinda miss the flat floor of the 2018 plat when the seats are raised
    10. seat fans are very loud compared to the 2018 (but everyone on the forums have said the same)
    11. need to turn off auto a/c in the 12in screen so you can use defrost, heated seats, heated steering to remember settings when you turn off the truck for the next morning on remote start
    12. cant tell the edges of the front bumper based on the hood (unlike how you can on the 2018)
    13. hud is not adjustable left/right (only up and down)
    14. steering wheel adjustment up/down and in/out doesnt seem as much as our 2018 (but i could be wrong, since its a new truck)
    15. wish the cup holders were front to back instead of side by side side by side instead of front to back (and im not doing the conversion)
    16. wish there was a cig plug inside the center console like our 2018 (so i can put a fast charger in it to charge phones)
    17. rear seat roof led light very lacking needs to be brighter
    18. still had a slight hesitation on red light starts, but ive adjusted my foot to take that into account, i ease into the pedal more until the lag is gone
    19. memory set buttons are backwards to the 2018, wife is having a hard time re-training muscle memory to push the right button. 2023 its 1 2 set, on the 2018 it was 2 1 set

things we love

01. black head liner (think only the plats get this, not sure)
    02. seats heat up way faster than the 2018
    03. heated steering wheel
    04. comfort mode on the suspension (great for expansion joints) compared to normal mode, alot softer on long trips, but the suspension kinda wallows at times
    05. love the under seat storage again
    06. love the digital dash (once configured with the guages i want to see)
    07. hud kinda useless if you have polarized glasses (me all the time during the day), wife loves it
    08. love the digital rearview mirror (wasnt sure of the defaults but i think all the bars need to be middle setting for defaults, played with the settings on the drive home to find what i liked, eventually went back to middle bar for all settings
    09. seats fans move a lot more air than the 2018 did, you can feel the coolness better
    10. love the front camera view when slowing down and the ability to see how close someone is riding my a$$
    11. driver seat extension is way more expandable than the 2018 (for long trips it helps, around town its too much at times)
    12. seats seem to be better than the 2018, comfort wise (wife doesnt think so but it could be how she configured it on the drive home)
    13. all the camera's are great for the wife on parking and whatnot
    14. got 18.5 mpg on our trip to bismarck, typcially we get maybe 14-15 mpg on the 2018 at 74mph.
    15. cant feel the trans shift down on the hills at 74 mph, maintains cruise without shifting more than 1 gear down (the 2018 would shift down 2 gears) (the turbo gauge makes up for the 2nd shift you normally get on the 2018)
    16. sport mode is like tow/haul mode of the 2018

thats all i can think of right off the bat after our trip to bismarck. 1.5 hrs 1-way between 69-75 mph.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2023
  11. Mar 6, 2023 at 8:27 AM
    DexterL

DexterL New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    21 lunar rock TRD pro Seqouia
    Black headliner is in platinum, 1794 and capstone only

nodak67[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Mar 6, 2023 at 9:55 AM
    Breathing Borla

Breathing Borla I'd rather be fishing

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum 4x4 Crewmax
    its amazing how much better looking and nicer the black headliner makes things.

truckit likes this.
  13. Mar 6, 2023 at 10:09 AM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    My HUD can adjust left and right and up and down

ryanwgregg likes this.
  14. Mar 6, 2023 at 10:11 AM
    Maharisc

Maharisc w/Patty

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum MBM Hv CM Adv Pkg
    Build date: 12/05/22
    Yep, it's awesome... best decision I made was looking for one with the adv package.

15. Mar 6, 2023 at 11:48 AM
    BikeAR

BikeAR New Member

Member:
    Arkansas
    Vehicle:
    '22 Tundra Limited 4x4
    To make sure I give you my best answer, I will take your question two ways.

1. Started remotely. After remote start, most new Toyota vehicles apparently shut off when you unlock a door. I do not understand why when other vehicles keep running. My wife's VW Atlas, for example, keeps running but WILL shut off if you do anything other than press the start button once you get in (and have the key). This makes more "safety" sense to me.

2. Started normally. If you start and then exit the vehicle with the key, someone can get in the truck and drive away. Seriously. Recently, I started my Tundra, backed it out of our drive, got out with the key and then accidentally handed my son the wrong key (VW, above). He drove the truck all the way to school WITHOUT THE KEY. Is that "safety"?

Love my Tundra, but these choices have me scratching my head.

in_the_mud likes this.
  16. Mar 6, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    i will have to go see, i thought you could only adjust up/down on the new tundra hud's per the owners manual pg 102.

i never thought to try to adjust left/right manually.

GoFast157 likes this.
  17. Mar 6, 2023 at 12:30 PM
    GoFast157

GoFast157 New Member

Member:
    Great list, and spot on. Though my 22' platinum will adjust hud left to right as well. Can adjust angle, brightness etc. On the brightest setting i can still see it with polarized lenses. Was surprised with how much you can change it around. Strange that we have different cupholders. I would really like side by side with more room to get to phone.

nodak67[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. Mar 6, 2023 at 1:06 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Can you take a pic of the cup holders? All platinum are vertical stacked

19. Mar 6, 2023 at 1:25 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    i think he was saying was strange how our platinum cup holders are different than the lower trims. he just worded it weirdly in his post.

20. Mar 6, 2023 at 2:49 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    I’m too lazy but I
    im talking about this. You have a platinum but say you wish they were front and back but they should be

gj953 likes this.
  21. Mar 6, 2023 at 3:07 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    thanks i fixed my original post, i meant to say side to side instead of front to back.

GoFast157 likes this.
  22. Mar 6, 2023 at 3:10 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    Ah. Yeah I want to do the conversions side to side gives more space Andy that accessory company has that neat shelf for more space

23. Mar 6, 2023 at 3:17 PM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    yeah i saw what is entailed on the conversion process, yep not my cup of tea to be tearing up that center console area/stack plus whatever else is involved in. i didnt watch the whole video as i said nope a few minutes in.

24. Mar 6, 2023 at 3:36 PM
    DrZoidberg

DrZoidberg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    Tesla MYP
    You got a link. I haven’t seen a video on it

25. Mar 6, 2023 at 4:45 PM
    Maharisc

Maharisc w/Patty

Member:
    First Name:
    Karl
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Platinum MBM Hv CM Adv Pkg
    Build date: 12/05/22
    If you do change out to the L-R, you'll need one of these: https://cupgrip.com/

I had one in my limited before I traded for Plat.

26. Mar 6, 2023 at 5:37 PM
    Yota802

Yota802 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Hybrid Limited CM WP
    Is there a separate thread for crewmax with the longer 6.5 bed?

Henry1jg and vichmr like this.
  27. Mar 6, 2023 at 6:43 PM
    vichmr

vichmr New Member

Member:
    Wow, nodak67, that's quite a list! Thanks for taking the time to provide this. Gives me lots to research and consider.

28. Mar 7, 2023 at 3:35 AM
    nodak67

nodak67 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JR
    Vehicle:
    TN Tundra2, ChiefG, Boerseun and 2 others like this.
  29. Mar 7, 2023 at 11:08 AM
    Mattedfred

Mattedfred Toyota Fan Boy Since ‘04

Member:
    First Name:
    Ted
    Cambridge, Ontario Canada
    Vehicle:
    2023 SR5 TRD Sport DC 4X4 in MGM
    TRD Skid Plate/Running Boards, Bison Soft Rollup Tonneau, Thule Canoe Rack, Bedmat, Tailgate Black Insert Badge, Northwest Seat Covers Neoprene Custom Fit Front Row Seat Covers. Tailgate Mat
  30. Mar 7, 2023 at 3:42 PM
    truckit

truckit New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2023 1794 MGM, AVS, power running boards, spray in bed
    HUD can be adjusted up/down and the angle. Ref - pg. 102 of the 2023 owners manual

Products Discussed in

To Top