1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

New LED headlights tundra pro style

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bft305, Jan 27, 2020.

1. Jan 23, 2021 at 11:39 PM
    bft305

bft305 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra limited
    @GixxerSteve I can’t comment on your personal preference of beam cut off with these, since it is your opinion that counts. What I can tell you is that performance wise, light up the road just fine and are much brighter than stock. If you look at the first post and then the third pic, you will see what it looks like driving. Not the best pic but did it quickly with my iPhone. That is with stock fog lights on for reference. I am going to upgrade those soon. I imagine if you upgrade you fog lights too you will not have a problem. These are definitely not like projectors and don’t have a super sharp cutoff line. If you have any other questions then let me know!
    @Yota707- to answer you question these use your stock amber drl in the housing. They are not LED.

Yota707 and GixxerSteve like this.
  2. Sep 6, 2021 at 9:03 PM
    clauderdale001

clauderdale001 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TSS
    There is so much information in here, it is difficult to go back and find exactly what I need. Can someone provide the best link to the best product (preferably less expensive than the alpharex novas). I’m willing to gamble like the OP did. Going to the site originally provided was slightly difficult with the various listings.

Rica25 likes this.
  3. Sep 6, 2021 at 10:12 PM
    GixxerSteve

GixxerSteve New Member

Member:
    The LED headlights posted by the OP aren't widely available, but I found some for sale on Amazon which I believe are the same ones. They come in chrome or black housings for $439/set. The LED high/low beams are sealed inside.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07X933SLT

If you wanted to go cheaper, the Alpharex Pros are available in chrome or black for $375/set. The only thing is, they come with halogen bulbs so you'd have to install a set of LED bulbs in them if you wanted that. You're looking at $50 for those, so that basically takes you up to the price of the first ones. So it's really up to the look you want, or if you want to have the option to replace the bulbs if they go out.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VYW3DP2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIKARI-Ult...-Kit-H7-Prime-LED-12000lm-6000K-/184855438938

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Sep 7, 2021 at 4:43 AM
    bft305

bft305 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 tundra limited
  5. Sep 7, 2021 at 6:22 AM
    clauderdale001

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TSS
    Well, I did just purchase some Amazon LED hi/low bulbs, but I wonder if the ones that come with the amazon set are better.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  6. Sep 7, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    memario1214

memario1214 Hotshot Offroad Staff Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    For the record, VLAND and COPLUS are the OEMs for a lot of your aftermarket light housing "manufacturers". A couple of well known examples are Alpharex and Morimoto. COPLUS won't sell directly to consumers, whereas VLAND will.

You're still not going to find ultimate performance out of these housings (versus OEM LEDs for example), but if you know that you're going this route you might as well buy from the manufacturer!

TL;DR - If you're looking to buy those headlights VLAND is as good of a place as any to pick them up.

Nic146 likes this.
  7. Sep 7, 2021 at 6:46 AM
    clauderdale001

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TSS
    I believe I will be going with the VLands. is it just the hi/low beam/bulb that makes the novas so expensive?

8. Sep 7, 2021 at 7:47 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    What they're charging you for is the cool factor of how they look and the internal LED emitters so there's not going to be any bulbs to change (which is convenient as long as the LEDs don't go out). They're also charging you for the "prestige" that comes with the brand name. That aside - Running 4 separate LED projectors makes an output like this (photo below)... Absolute shit. Sure they look kind of cool from a bystander's perspective as you'll be seeing all of the individual projectors twinkle as the cutoff lines move up and down. If performance is your thing you'd be better off with a set of OEM LED headlights which are cheaper, or even a set of Morimoto LEDs which will at least have clean an consistent cutoff lines. If the best price that someone could find on VLANDs is nearly $500 you might as well go find a set of used OEM LEDs to swap in for the same price and get better performance.

[​IMG]

9. Sep 7, 2021 at 7:51 AM
    GixxerSteve

GixxerSteve New Member

Member:
    From what I have heard on this forum, the Novas are brighter than any other aftermarket headlight. Probably something to do with the design. So that's why it's more expensive.

And Porsche is running 4-point projectors on their cars, and I'm sure they wouldn't run an "absolute shit" design.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  10. Sep 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    clauderdale001

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TSS
    The cheapest I can find the OEM LEDs is still almost $300 more than the VLANDS

11. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:08 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    We might be talking about different things.

What I went on a rant about above is the Alpharex Nova which is what I believe you were refrencing. These:
    [​IMG]

Now if you are looking at the VLAND lights that look similar to OEM LEDs (photo below)... They are at least built on the same basic architecture of the OEM LEDs which is a high power LED fired into a reflector bucket to aim the light. Without having them in my hands I don't KNOW how they'll perform. If I didn't have the money for OEM LEDs this is where I would look next.

[​IMG]

12. Sep 7, 2021 at 8:36 AM
    clauderdale001

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Hernando, MS
    Vehicle:
    2017 White Tundra TSS
    I was just referencing where you stated that the VLands were almost $500, so I might as well get a used set of OEMs. If I could find a used set, I probably would get those.

13. Sep 7, 2021 at 9:00 AM
    memario1214

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    Missoula, MT
    Vehicle:
    '21 Limited MGM CrewMax
    If you could find a used set of OEMs that's probably your better bet from a performance standpoint. I just wanted to make sure we weren't confusing each other.
    Unless you know something I don't, the 4 LEDs on Porsches are simply a signature styling cue. Just to refresh myself I took a look at their current offerings and they all have a single forward projection lens with the 4-LED daytime running light array around it.
    https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutpo...gazine/archive/367/articleoverview/article09/

Regardless of that - Am I saying that multiple emitters strung together make poor light output? Absolutely not, and if that's what was interpreted it wasn't intended that way. Acura, and others, have had their "Jewel-Eye" headlights for years and they perform well. To go along with that though they have considerable R&D to make sure that the output is both legal and not causing sharp cutoff lines segregating one emitter from another.

Am I saying that the lights I spoke on above are 4 mid-grade LED projectors just tossed into a housing? Unfortunately, Yes.

Wiesy442 and Nic146 like this.
To Top