1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Are you looking for pet advice?

Discussion in 'Pets' started by jaredmillerdvm, Oct 17, 2019.

1. Mar 11, 2020 at 2:46 PM
    Kerch71

Kerch71 Surgical Precision

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 CM SC TRD Pro/ICON/Total Chaos Build
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    Yeah, I would have a radiologist consult. That is not consistent with a CCL tear I agree. And well spotted @jaredmillerdvm. I neglected to enlarge the xray on my phone, so that's on me. I've seen some with severe synovitis ( joint capsule inflammation) that show some changes there but that's more than I like to see. @16TRD, has your vet examined him for a torn cruciate ligament?

2. Mar 11, 2020 at 3:26 PM
    16TRD

16TRD New Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White crewmax
    yeah we went back and they reexamined him under anesthesia.

3. Mar 11, 2020 at 4:22 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Squatting Pigeon Squattingpigeon.com Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    @jaredmillerdvm @Kerch71 My pooch has been doing something curious the last year or so maybe that the vet has shrugged off and I just want to throw it out there and see what y'all think.

So when my greyhound lab mix stands and stretches after sitting a while, she'll go to yawn and then whimper, get through the yawn with a weird look on her face, and then be just fine. It's the strangest thing, and I don't know what to make of it.
    It may just be nothing and that she's just a weirdo, but I don't want to be ignoring obvious pain sounds 'just because'.

4. Mar 11, 2020 at 4:40 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2007 White SR5 Single Cab
    @jaredmillerdvm I have 2 cats both are super active indoor / outdoor terrible two going on 7 years now no noticeable issues they are best friends and sisters only thing is the Black one that was the runt of the litter was extremely small when I rescued her and did not even think that she was going to even make it thru the first night the thing is her two front teeth have always been exposed, this does not seems to cause any issues and some of the time they are not exposed but I just want to make sure that this is not something that can lead to any problems. See pictures the first one is 4 weeks after recuse with all the infections around her eyes gone, the second one is 2 month ago

2010-08-11_20-18-06_835.jpg
    IMG_1565.jpg

5. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:07 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

jaredmillerdvm [OP] Mods will never end!!

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CM SR5 TRD Off Road 4x4
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    Age?

6. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:13 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Rough Country 3in leveling kit, SCS Ray 10s, 295/70/18 Toyo Open Country AT2 Extremes. TRD Shift Knob, Console Safe, Driver Side Grab Handle, WeatherTech Laser Measured Floor Liners, Katzkin Heated Leather Seats, Remote Start, TundraTex Frac Harness, Radio Vinyl Inlays, LED Interior Lightening. MGM Color Matched Hood Bulge and Surround, 18% Tinted Front Windows, 90% Ceramic Windshield Tint, 5% Banner, AntennaMast Stubby Antenna, Predator Step Bars, Skid Plate with Integrated Step, Line-X Spray in Bed Liner, Blacked Out Badges, Mirrors and Door Handles, Black Bedside Decals, Bak Revolver X2 Tonneau Cover, Swing Case Tool Boxes, DIY Tailgate Lock, Deck Rail System, Recon Smoked LED Tail Lights With LED Reverse Lights, Smoked Vinyl Wrapped Cargo Light, LED License Plate, Cargo, and 3rd Brake Lights, Dirty Deeds 8" BAMuffler, Black Powder Coated Front and Rear Bumpers, TRD Rear Sway Bar.
    So are you asking if the exposed canine teeth are a problem?

7. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    CM TRD Pro glass panels, Icon 2.5, TC long travel UCA/LCA, Toyota supercharger, Airlift rear suspension, Warn winch, custom front and rear bumper, Coachbuilder roof rack, lengthened chassis 12", 37" Nitto Grapplers, custom graphics, Magnaflow Flowmaster 4" SS Exhaust
    What was the consensus?

8. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:20 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    She turned 9 last month

9. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:36 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Probably nothing to worry about. You can try some nsaids to see if it helps with possible pain. If she is otherwise acting fine I wouldn’t worry about it!

10. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:37 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    That's what her vet said, but a second opinion never hurts. I appreciate your expertise! :bowdown:

11. Mar 11, 2020 at 5:39 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Shit I miss read that, I read 9 months. Still could be nothing but also could be osteoarthritis or possibly masticatory muscle myositis. monitor her for pain in the jaw or muscle shrinking on head for MMM. Maybe try starting her on glycoflex, cosequin or dasuquin to see if it helps with OA. Those r joint supplements that work well.

12. Mar 11, 2020 at 7:04 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    I've been thinking about putting her on some kind of joint supplement now that shes getting up in age. She's all skin an bones with the greyhound in her. She stands as tall as a lab but has only ever weighed between 40-45lbs her whole life lol

Kerch71 likes this.
  13. Mar 11, 2020 at 8:45 PM
    16TRD

16TRD New Member

Member:
    Norcal
    Vehicle:
    2016 White crewmax
    they kept with the initial assessment as a torn acl. We have a surgery apt for next month.

14. Mar 12, 2020 at 2:33 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yes they do not bother her and everything seems normal

15. Mar 12, 2020 at 5:38 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    yea then I wouldn't worry about it!

Wsteven[QUOTED] and Kerch71 like this.
  16. Mar 12, 2020 at 5:45 PM
    Wsteven

Wsteven New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
  17. Mar 12, 2020 at 5:49 PM
    Squatting Pigeon

Member:
    First Name:
    Holden
    North Texas
    Vehicle:
    GR Corolla
    The more I think about this the more I wonder if it could be what she has. If I give her a large dog chew, or the rare table scrap she will whimper when she goes to swallow. I have always associated this with her just not chewing her food well enough.
    Are there other things I can look for to rule in or out MMM?

18. Mar 13, 2020 at 10:10 AM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Yep pain when opening mouth, stops eating, atrophy of muscles on head. They have a blood test for it. It’s like 200 bucks tho

Kerch71 likes this.
  19. Mar 14, 2020 at 12:12 PM
    Getmeacoors

Getmeacoors From the far Norcal

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 sport 4x4 MGM
    Alot
    I've got a question for ya. A second opinion really. My 2 year old bully grew another toe. We take him hiking and keep him running around so I assumed it is another fox tail stuck in there as I have had that in previous dogs and it looks the same. But anyway he grew another toe and it became infected and started oozing so I took him in the vet lanced him open claims there is nothing in there.. sent me home with cephlex 750 x2 day. And here we are 2 weeks later its grown back. He hates it licks it all day long l. Should I go to another vet?
    Thanks in advance

20200314_115913.jpg
    20200305_150750.jpg
    20191114_154643.jpg

Moon Puppy likes this.
  20. Mar 14, 2020 at 12:26 PM
    Moon Puppy

Moon Puppy I'm not new!

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Limited
    My Lab use to get those all the time and she was a couch potato. Same deal, lance it and it came back. Interested in what the good Doc has to say.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  21. Mar 14, 2020 at 12:36 PM
    OV-1794

OV-1794 New Member

Member:
    @Getmeacoors

My dog was getting those and we figured the same thing because I was taking him running all the time. Stopped running him still there, lanced it and nothing there. Came back a few months later. We ended up determining he is allergic to certain rubber dog toys. Took those away and nothing since. Good luck and I'm sure the vets here will chime in with a more clinical assessment. Good luck!

22. Mar 14, 2020 at 3:17 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    My bet is that he has interdigital pododermatitis. Most cases are caused by an allergy. They can be on one foot, all 4, and can disappear from one foot only to appear on another. Treatment is antibiotics and either Apoquel or Cytopoint. You also need to put an e-collar on him to keep him from licking it, or it will never go away.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  23. Mar 14, 2020 at 4:54 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    Put an ecollar on him and try topical hydrocortisone. I think it’s likely allergy related and he has licked it until it turned into this. Like @Kerch71 said apoquel or cytopoint would help. For short term prednisone would be a good option too.

Kerch71 likes this.
  24. Mar 14, 2020 at 7:43 PM
    Getmeacoors

Getmeacoors From the far Norcal

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    California
    Vehicle:
    2019 sport 4x4 MGM
    Alot
    Guess I will have to get the old 5 gallon bucket back out. As the cones aren't strong enough he finds a way out of them. Cut a hole in the bottom of a bucket is the only thing he doesn't break. He hates the bucket but will try short term to see if it helps. It's also comical to call him bucket head haha.
    Thank you for the response I will have the wife give it a try as our male is "her baby"
    Will look into the meds hopefully they are otc so I dont have to make another vet trip
    You guys are awesome btw

Stainlesst, Kerch71 and jewsNbrews like this.
  25. Mar 15, 2020 at 9:10 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    You gotta post a pic of bucket head if you get a chance. You know, for comic relief.

Ostrich, GODZILLA, jewsNbrews and 2 others like this.
  26. Mar 18, 2020 at 9:21 PM
    Stainlesst

Stainlesst everybody loves an Inky. Inky Inky. go Inky go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    going to the big D and don't mean Denver...
    Vehicle:
    09 trd crewmax, 13 TWReX stage III
    In the "Zone"...
    yup thats the bully breed for ya, neck is as big as the head. Inky slips out of his collar all the time, good thing i leash him to his service dog vest...

Getmeacoors[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Mar 18, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    Stainlesst

Stainlesst everybody loves an Inky. Inky Inky. go Inky go!

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    going to the big D and don't mean Denver...
    Vehicle:
    09 trd crewmax, 13 TWReX stage III
    In the "Zone"...
    @jaredmillerdvm, @Kerch71 sso stinky Inky has had what we thought to be a yeast infection in his left ear. we have been using an alcohol based ear cleaner and antibiotic the vet gave us. his trainer has said that this could very well be because of a food or protein allergy and suggested going probiotics in his diet? he is on merrick great plains freeze dried raw bites. we are going to try a hypoallergenic diet and maybe do a reactive blood test if we can't figure the culprit...

he's a three year old pitty lab mix. he's my service dog
    what would you think?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    ColoradoTJ likes this.
  28. Mar 19, 2020 at 12:58 AM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    I would first treat him with Apoquel or Cytopoint to rule out atopic dermatitis (environmental allergy). Much more common than true food allergy. If he improves, then it's likely NOT a food allergy. If he doesn't improve, then you can try an Ultamino food trial. This food is expensive, but if you feed it for 6-8 weeks and he improves, then it's a food allergy, and you can then try switching to a cheaper hypoallergenic diet with a hydrolyzed or novel protein. Many, many people always jump to food allergy and it's usually not the cause. You have to approach skin disease in a step wise fashion and rule out the most common cause first.

29. Mar 19, 2020 at 5:55 PM
    jaredmillerdvm

Member:
    Anderson, SC
    Vehicle:
    what ear cleaner? what antibiotic? also only one ear makes me believe that its more likely a problem in that one ear and not a systemic problem. Allergies are difficult like @Kerch71 said. A couple things, I would first culture the ear to be sure he is on the correct medicated ear drop. If it resolves then returns then you must find the underlying problem ie atopy vs food allergy. If atopy he will likely need to be treated with medicated ear drops along with apoquel, cytopoint or prednisone to get it under control. long term management would be apoquel or cytopoint unless cost if prohibited. A food trial would be the last option due to cost and compliance.

30. Mar 19, 2020 at 6:36 PM
    Kerch71

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Mechanicsville VA
    Vehicle:
    I agree with a culture. I also think a simple ear swab and cytology should be (or should've been) done. This will tell you if you're dealing with yeast, cocci bacteria, or rod bacteria. If it's rod bacteria, it's likely Pseudomonas, which will only respond to specific ear medications. The culture will confirm the type of bacteria and which antibiotics are effective against it. Most ear infections are surface infections on the inner ear tissue and they respond best to topical treatments. Systemic antibiotics are not very effective in treating ear infections and I rarely prescribe them in these cases.

NewImprovedRon and Stainlesst like this.
To Top