1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Lexus Transmission in a Tundra (A760E)?

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by DeckerDie, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Oct 10, 2021 at 10:07 PM
    DeckerDie

DeckerDie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cain
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra SR5
    Hello all! Hope everyone is doing great as always!

For reference: I drive a 2012 4.6L 2x4 that uses the A760E 6 speed

Was wondering if anybody knew the transferability of the A760E transmission from one model of cars to another (with a different motor). I wanted to start working on a backup transmission for a more painless (and fearing inevitable) breakdown. So far I’ve found some fairly cheap, used, Lexus IS transmissions that, as far as I can tell from the pictures, only differ in serial number.

Wikipedia states the A760E is used in:

2005–2007 Lexus GS 300
    2005-2013 Lexus IS 300
    2005–2013 Lexus IS 350
    2006–2013 Lexus GS 350
    2010–2019 Toyota Tundra 4.6L
    2010–2019 Toyota Sequoia 4.6L
    2009–2019 Toyota Mark X (GRX133)
    2004–2008 Toyota Crown GRS182
    (If no drive is specified, it’s 2x4 or RWD)

Would the computers communicate? or will it just get bombarded with volts and fry it (or not enough volts at all)?

Will it even bolt to the engine and driveshaft?

I didn’t notice any differences in function or components listed in the A760E ATSG manual, but I could’ve overlooked.

Would love to hear your guys’ thoughts! Thank y’all for your time!

2. Oct 10, 2021 at 10:21 PM
    NueveTundra

NueveTundra Internet Certified Forum Mechanic

Member:
    Planet Earth
    Vehicle:
    07, Black Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Exterior: Toytec ultimate 3" lift level , GoodYear helper air bags , DayStar air bag cradles, AcanII smoked headlights, AcanII smoke Tail lights (2.5 gen style), DV8 front winch bumper , Badlands 12k winch , White AUTMATCH Shackles 3/4" D Ring Shackle, White AutoBots winch hook, Trail Ridge mirrors , 20x9 Creeps rims , 33x12.50r20 RoadOnes , Black Hart cross drilled n slotted rotors , Rigid flood flush mounts rear bumper , WeatherTec rain guards , OEM black side badges , Rigid Amber Radiance Pods. Energy Suspension Red Rack and Pinion Bushings, EAG front mesh Grille, RCI HighLift bed mounts. Rough Country DS2 Steps, A.R.E OverLand Canopy with Ascend basket, Stickers: ToyTec lifts windshield banner, Red Strange Music window sticker(back cab), White Strange Music sticker(back canopy), White Rigid sticker x2 (canopy sides), white Official BigFoot Research Team (Back Canopy) Interior: Alpine double din touch iLX-650 , JL C5-653's (front) JL C1-650x (rear) , JL JX400 4 channel amp , JL JX500 mono amp , 2 JL 12" subs , WeatherTec floor mats, Kenwood F/R Dash Cams, Under the Hood: Koyo all aluminum radiator, Mishimoto red silicon hoses , XS Power 3000 amp battery , LAlectric 300 amp Alternator , K&N replacement filter. Online LED store accessories Fuse/relay box. unknown Cat-Back exhaust.
    in theory it should it ,
    the tail housing an out put shaft would have swapped over depending on what it came out of.
    and any other little external thing that's different in a side by side comparison.
    also probably the torque converter if there's a variation in stall speed across any of the platforms

but other than that I don't see why not unless there different generations of it in that time period.
    if the A7060E is also used in 4x4 Tundra it should be a matter of swapping out the rear housing and output shaft.

hope this info helps in some way or another :)

3. Oct 11, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    DeckerDie

DeckerDie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cain
    Panama City Beach, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra SR5
    Thank ya for the perspective! I can’t find anything about differences in the A760E transmission throughout different models, so I reckon all the housings bolt up the same. The external (and really all) components of the transmission worry me, for all these different models are using different sized engines (and maybe even different differential gear ratios?). If these are possibly adjustable/replaceable (Or I have an obvious misunderstanding that’ll inevitable hit me as I research on), I’m all game lol.

I’ll keep reading and looking and will keep it all posted on here as I learn more. Thank ya again for the insight friend!

NueveTundra likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top